Coopers Community

how to brew a good ale?

c38873

Howdy, I've recently come up with a very simple but effective ale clone. I used a Coopers Real Ale kit (of course), with 600g of powdered light malt and 700g of Ultrabrew (a good premium sugar blend you can buy from places like the country brewer), then propogated the yeast of 1 stubbie of sparkling ale, pitched that and fermented at 18 degrees for almost 3 weeks. I racked the majority of the brew into a 18L corny keg and managed to get another 5 750ml bottles done. The result out of the keg was a very nice malty ale and the bottled ones after a couple of months were fantastic, it's quite similar to sparkling with a alc\\vol around the 5% mark (start SG - 1040, final SG - 1007), and absolutely bewwwdiful to drink. I think the keg went in about 2 weeks.... and I've already got another brew just about ready to rack. Obviously I'm now going to look at partial mashes and maybe a bit of hops for flavour experimentation, but for an easy no worries recipe, I'll be sticking to this one to keep my stocks of the 'good stuff' well truly up.

Archived