Coopers Community

big kegs

BIG D

hi frank/amanda

not to sure if this is in the right section but will give it a go anyway.being an avid brewer and one day wishing to go full mash some equipment gathered by mashers may include a s/s brewery keg.my question is what happens to old kegs(from coopers?).are they sent to the scrap merchant or are they available to the general public after use by date for a reasonable price.i no a lot of postings say this is a no go area as these always remain the property of the brewery but i have seen a few kegs in various states of distress that lovingly polished would look the grouse in a micro set up.

any thoughts ?

big d

paul

havent seen the new kegs and its been awhile since seeing your older kegs.the ones i have seen lately have a swan brewery marking so they are way old .i couldnt even guess the size but reckon they would be up to the 50 mark.

so do you sell the old ones or what?

OK! The fifty litre kegs currently used by the brewery have a red painted band around the middle and use a coupler rather than the old spear setup for dispensing the beer. They also have "COOPERS brewery" embossed on the collar.

When a keg is rejected by the keg cleaniing/filling line it is sent to maintenance section for repair and retesting. Following that, it is put back into circulation "as good as new". 'Tis very rare for one of the new kegs to be deemed unrepairable and when this does happen it is usually because of severe deformation to the keg body.

Our policy is to send all unrepairable kegs to the scrap metal merchants for melting down. These kegs remain the property of Coopers Brewery until they are destroyed.

Our kegs are sourced from Belgium and are always in short supply so it is important that we don't encourage the trading of kegs for use other than dispensing our beer.

If you search on Google for Beer Kegs you will find a number of companies, particularly in USA, who adapt kegs for the use of mash and partial mash brewing.

thanks paul for the reply

not quite what i hoped for in the keg rehabilitation side of things.by the way did you know im a fitter who would quite willingly restore your kegs to a good servicable condition??????????????/ it would only cost you three 50 litre kegs.

the google side of things is great but the cost of freight to oz from the good old boys would be way to prohibitive for us mere wanna be grain brewers.quess im gonna have to go the sly sneaky way of things and hope the brew police dont track me down with there new fang dangled s/s detecting keg detectors.

cheers one and all

Archived