Coopers Community

Blak and Tan

Greg1525228545

Has anyone heard of or brewed a Black and Tan?

I have read some articles stating that the procedure is to brew a 12 liter batch of a lager and a 12 liter batch of porter or stout separately and then transfer the 2 in to the same secondary to let it mature for about a week before bottling.

Has anyone made this or have a recipe or have any clues on how to scale down exciting recipes so as not create a super strong beer?

Cheer

Greg

You can get 12ish litre demijohns from most brew stores, can't you? If you're doing it with hopped extract, you could just use the can and not add any extra fermentables.

Either way, I reckon I'd just buy a second 22L fermenter and make a big batch.

You make a good point there Kai!

The idea of making two half brews can work but keep in mind that if you are using two cans of hopped malt (wort) concentrate, Coopers Lager and Coopers Stout, you will be increasing the bitterness level and colour accordingly.

The idea of a black 'n' tan is to produce a brew which is lighter in colour than stout. To do this you would need to make up two full brews, as Kai suggests, and then mix them.

The extra hopping was in the back of my mind, Paul, but I've usually found that the kits usually don't have enough hop character to my liking, though I haven't yet tried making a brew with two cans of hopped extract to see how the bitterness works out. Guess I'll have to try that sometime soon... for scientific purposes, of course.

Hi

My grandfather was one in Ireland between the wars.

Over there a black and tan was always mixed in the glass and could be stout and bitter, or stout and brown ale.

Obviously you would never use lager if you were a bloke

:lol: Hi.I have been brewing Coopers Stout for many years, but now make a Black and Tan using one can Coopers Stout and one can Lager concentrate. Use one sachet of coopers yeast and only add 300gr. of dark brown sugar. Absolutely superb!! however, I also agree that the Coopers Nut Brown Ale is also very good, cheaper too- you only need one can!! Have also found adding approx. 15 mls of licorice extract to a batch of Stout, just prior to adding yeast, will give a much creamier head, nearly as good as that well known Irish brew!!

Des c18876

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

the way i used to make my black & tan was to get a double barrel(it makes 60 bottles at once). use 1 can of draught & 1 can of stout & 2 kilos of bundaberg raw sugar. if ya want a maltier taste, substitute 1 kilo of sugar for 1.5 kilos of light powdered malt. after 10 days, prime the bottles with raw sugar as well; this produces 5% alchohol. the raw sugar gives it a slight rummy taste with grouse head & retention :twisted:

• 9 months later...

I happened to be sampling a first attempt mix of black and tan at this very moment. Mix was Coopers Pale Ale (one tin) and Coopers Classic Dk Ale (one tin). Added these "rough as guts" and eyeballing the tin until it looked like a 50% mix into each of two fermenters. Used the coopers brew enhancer 2 and had initial SG .1008.

Tastes like a sweet not so heavy classic dark ale. I would say just have a go.

where do you get the licorice extract from? and yeah, does it impart any flavour? or mainly head retention.. i reckon that's really important to have a nice creamy head on these particular brews.. :)

Archived