Coopers Community

Aeration

BirkdaleBob

I have noticed that by spraying the water that is added to the wort into the fermenter (hopefully adding oxygen) fermentation starts sooner and lasts longer. I believe that this ensures that all sugar is converted to alcohol, and that early start to fermentation discourages wild yeast infection. Fitting your stirring spoon or paddle into an electric drill and giving it half a minute at full speed also works, saves arm fatigue.

Coments?

Bob

I think the little instruction booklet does say that aeration at the start is a good thing. I figured that it does indeed allow more rapid propagation of the yeast, then normal fermentation ensues once this oxygen has been used and CO2 production ramps up.

airation is good for the yeast as it needs oxygen for the fermentation. so lots of oxy means a better chance of the yeast working bettr and u most airate your wort if you have boiled the water too as boiling removes oxygen

Bob,

LOVE the electric drill deal!

Anything that combines beer with power tools is alright by me!

William

PS Say, if you could somehow involve fishing from a tinnie, the perfect trio!

Bob,

Great idea, will definitely try the drill idea with my next batch.

Will,

Just add a hot blonde and you have the 4 of the best :twisted: !

drew.

• 1 month later...

Kai is correct.

In its initial stages, yeast needs oxygen to propogate, then moves into the second phase of its life in your beer and begins fermentation.

During this second stage, it does not need oxygen, and in fact oxygen is a bad thing now because it can produce an off beer.

So yes, aerating the wort - by splashing in the water, with a drill, with an aquarium pump or with a custom-made device - means your beer will ferment more quickly because it multiplies in the initial stages.

Archived