Coopers Community

Secondary Fermentation

c37632

i have brewing on and off for a number of years and have recently bottled an IPA from a new fementer.

i normally bottle into 375 ml and prime with white sugar. Pre bottleing taste (as advised in your forum) was quite good. however 3-4 weeks later a sample showed a perculiar taste which hid all particular taste characteristics of the IPA. i have noticed this on several other occasions(except with stouts) and am starting to wonder if is is the way i am priming the bottles and/or what i am priming them with.

any advise would be helpful

cheers

best way i could describe it as being stale sugar. Interesting to note that i tried more overthe weekend and found some were extremly gassy and others just right with little or no hint of the stale taste. i'm guessing now that the cause may have been too low a temperature & too eager a consumer for the secondary to work.

i

I find that if you get a little extra DME when your next at your LHBS and use that to prime with in place of the sugar you'll get a nice finer carbonation and don't run the risk of imparting a cidery flavour sometimes produced by the sugar.

Greg Bell

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you're still gonna check on this post, but I've bulk primed the last 2 of my batches with dextrose and haven't looked back. You definitely get a finer bubble and better head retention, and you don't have to worry about measuring out teaspoons of sugar per bottle. Well worth the extra effort in my opinion, and I've had no issues with any bad flavours being imparted in the bottles. The country brewer site has a good article on it if you're interested.

Bulk Priming is described in our instruction booklet.

The bonus with using sugar is that you know 180g of the stuff is 100% sucrose, while if you use other priming sugars you may need to fiddle around with the priming rate to get the right level of carbonation.

ie. Dextrose is not 100% glucose... it can vary from 99% to 70% with the balance being non-fermentable. Dried Malt Extract (DME) is not 100% fermentable either!!

That said, ideal carbonation is a personal preference thing and you may find that 180g is too much, too little or just right!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the advise given.

I ended up doing a pilsener with the addition of some saaz hops. It was brewed during a cold snap and even with a heater it brewed out at 18 to 20 deg over a two week period.

i bulk primed by decanting into my old fermenter with 180 grams dextrose.

should be ready in a week or so

Archived