Coopers Community

White wine flavour

DavidP17

Hey all,

Iv had a Coopers Pilsner in the FV for 2 weeks now,

700 LDM,

500g Dex,

10g saaz at 15min

I pitched S23 @ 27 deg (way way way too hot i know, the wort wasnt cool enough when i filled to 23L wont make that mistake again)

Its been fermenting at 12.5 degrees for 2 weeks now and i just took an SG of 1010, but i noticed it has a white wine smell and taste to it now which it didnt before,

Will this go away with conditioning?

Will a Diacetyl rest clean these flavours up?

Any ideas of the cause of this i know an eggy smell is expected with lager yeasts but i wasnt expecting this.

I would say it was the pitching temperature that caused the off flavour.

Pitching lager yeast at high temps can cause different off flavours to be produced.

I did the same on my last lager attempt. I did everything right except I pitched the yeast at around 25 degrees [pinched]

I don't even pitch at that high temperature for ales.

Anyway, the beer developed acetaldehyde; a green apple like taste.

At first it was like I mixed beer with cider but it reduced significantly with time in the bottle. But it is still there, lurking in the backkground.

Are you bottling? If so, this is like a diacetyl rest by conditioning at warmer temps for a while.

There isn't much you can do now except give it time and hopefully it reduces.

Good luck!

Hi Guys,

I have the same thing going on with my TC Pilsner.[annoyed]

I put it down on sept.9 so its been in the primary for a month now. I pitched the yeast @ 23C then let the temperature drop to 15C for the duration. I just today transferred the brew to a secondary carboy hoping this will clear it up. I am wondering why it is taking so long to clear.

So, from what i have read the method of improving the cider taste is to bottled condition at 18-20C then lager it at a cold temperature for a long period.

Fingers crossed.[crying]

After reading this thread yesterday I decided to have a another taste of the lager. It had been some time since I last tasted it.

I'm happy to say that the green apple flavour is gone. If it is there then it is so insignificant that I couldn't taste it.

It took about 7 months in the bottle to clear.

David, you may need some patience with this one.

Archived