Coopers Community

My first attempt, Is is Ruined ?

GayleV

Please help, I think I have just made a major booboo. If so, i'd like to know before I procede, if not I'd like to know so I'll calm down !

I had purchased the Coopers Pale Ale Extract, the person at the shop failed to sell me the "Enhancer 2" to go with it. When I consulted the forum, it was suggested, rather than using the Enhancer 2(as I hadn't bought it, at that time) I should consider using 250 g Dextrose & 750 g Light Dry Malt Extract.

Well, back at the shop, I apparently made another poor choice, because I purchased Dextrose (no problem), but I (incorectly, I believe) got Coopers Malt Extract - Light (yellow can - 1.5kg)

Unfortunately, I didn't listen to my gut when it asked, are you sure about doing this ?

What I did was, in the primary fermenter (after major sanitizion) I placed 2-3 Liters boiling water, dissolved 250 g Dextrose thouroughly, added approximately half of the 1.5 kg can of Malt extract light & finally the entire can of Coopers Pale Ale Extract (green can) and started bringing up the volume with clean water to the 5 gallon mark.

Just as I finished doing so, I realized this just doesn't sound right. I haven't pitched the yeast, the wort is still a bit warm, by my thermometer. Should I continue & pitch the yeast & just move forward, if I've really messed up, is there any suggestions for salvage ? Or, if I've trashed it entirely, should I dump it now, before I actually become attached to it ?

Please help a first time brewer, who is in dispear

hi GAYLE

relax you have the start of a good brew.Should turn out to be a 4.5% to 5% beer. I find using a light malt extract can makes a better beer than using BE2. If your temp is no higher than 30 degrees C pitch your yeast and let the FV cool down to 18 - 20 degrees[roll]

Hi Gayle,

Welcome the the Order![cool] It sounds like you had a normal brewing process![biggrin]

1. You started by trying something new

2. You had to improvise.

3. You forgot something.

4. You remembered what you forgot then added it.

5. You thinks everything is ruined [crying] .

6. You find in a coupla' weeks everything is all right and you have a good beer![cool]

Fingers crossed...[biggrin]

Hi Gayle,

Welcome the the Order![cool] It sounds like you had a normal brewing process![biggrin]

1. You started by trying something new

2. You had to improvise.

3. You forgot something.

4. You remembered what you forgot then added it.

5. You thinks everything is ruined [crying] .

6. You find in a coupla' weeks everything is all right and you have a good beer![cool]

Fingers crossed...[biggrin]

That certainly sounds familiar.[biggrin]

Archived