Coopers Community

Dr Tim's Traditional Ale

Adam

Hi Adam

Recently Coopers brought out for the Big Day Out (BDO) last Friday (unsure if this is a limited batch or going full production) Coopers Pale ale beer in a can called "Dr Tims", well that is what I read in "The Sunday Mail" a few weeks ago. Now I went to the BDO and tried the "Dr Tims" and i must admit it wasn't pale ale. Traditionalists will say that Pale ale can only be truely consumed out of a keg or out of a bottle, not from a can, and I would have to agree in this instance.

Maybe the Coopers staff can enlighten us on the whole "Dr Tims" conception and answer the question of is this the product that they are calling "Pale in a can"

Cheers

Wayne aka the wayniac

Gday Wayne,

i too read in the paper that they would have available their Pale Ale in a can, but they wont be calling it Pale Ale so's not to detract from our beloved Pale Ale in bottles and kegs ( because it tastes different ). Never the less i,m looking forward to it. If it remotely resembles the real Pale Ale and its in cans ( as this is easier for me ) :lol: I'll be happy. Over to you Coopers !! :arrow:

Gday,

bought a case of Dr Tims.

Its not bad. Substantially the same as pale. It is still fermented in the container, so good head still.

NO problems with it. I think it is a good idea - more portable, lighter, stackable etc.

Dont see it around much yet - one place only

I live next door to the international export manager (dunno his surname, I just know him as Scott), and we had a can of Dr. Tims each over christmas drinks (I thought it was exceptional - until now, we've been limited to draughts, bitters (etc.) in cans, but now we have the flavour of a naturally fermented ale in a can!). He mentioned that the yeast had to be especially designed (ie. genetically bred with different varieties of brewers yeast) to tone down the carbon dioxide production - because standard yeast used for pale ale blew the cans apart (when naturally fermenting). So apparently (this was after a couple of tins, and a couple of home brews - so my memory here gets a little 'fuzzy') the coopers lab used the pale ale yeast as a starting culture, and cross bred it with some other strains which have a different rate of fermentation (you can make yeast have "sex" on a petri dish, and their genes (characteristics) will mix, and you will get a "baby" yeast that is a little bit like "mum" and a little bit like "dad").

During this, apparently the lab was very careful that the character of the flavour wasn't changed too much compared with Pale Ale.

So the resulting yeast is part pale-ale (coopers developed) yeast, and part other yeast(s) [?] and is the result of a crapload of blood sweat and tears.

So I guess the resulting "Dr. Tims" strain and some of its brewing characteristics (introduced as a result of cross breeding/strain development), impart their own flavour on Dr. Tims which is why it isn't called Pale Ale. However, I guess you could say that its the closest thing to "Pale Ale in a can".

Cans are obviously good news for punters at concerts and sporting events - you couldn't get an ale before (unless it was dispensed from kegs), because it only came in bottles and they're a no-no (missiles)! If you've been to the Big Day out and had to wait for 15 minutes in a line to get a plastic pint of coopers - you might start to realise what a godsend Dr. Tims could very well be (passing out tinnies is far quicker than dispensing from kegs).

:!: Scott mentioned to me that coopers thinks that this fine ale might be the first ever naturally brewed beer in a can available in the world! (that is, it has the full secondary fermentation performed in the can). cool huh. :)

So the answer to my question it seems they are available. How readily available are they ? I live in Whyalla. Will i be able to get them. I wish someone from Coopers would provide an answer, or are they too busy :?

Hi Turkey101,

Cases of Dr Tims cans were available about 4-5 weeks ago at a bottlo on Goodwood Road - not the Toucan place, but one about 800 metres south , on the same side of the road. Little place on the corner next to the Goody supermarket.

Havent been back there since - dont know if it still available.

Good luck!

William

PS Coopers dudes - any further hints on places that have bought up big?

Dr Tim's Traditional Ale is a developmental product and is considered to be "under trial". In order to gauge public reaction it has been presented to the recent BDO and a Hoteliers Corporate Golf Day in 2003.

Some of the left over Dr Tim's from the BDO managed to get out to retail outlets.

Once we are 100% happy with the production, packaging and final product we will look at the possibility distribution through retail outlets.

So please be patient with us...we are working on it.

Rest assured that Message Board readers will be the first to know!!

Damn and blast - I went to the local Booze Brothers tonight to pick me up some Dr Tims if they had it... luck was in on availability, but they hadn't checked the things into the system yet, so they couldn't sell it to me. I had to leave them sitting on the counter :cry:

One question on the packaging - I noticed the cans in the carton were not subdivided into six packs. Was this a deliberate decision? It's going to make buying by the six pack a little tricky when each bottle is separate.

The cans are packaged into 6 packs (plastic shrinkwrap). The only plausible explanation I can think of is that these cans may have been pulled out of their 6 pack wrapping for the BDO, not sold, then repacked into the cartons as singles.

• 3 months later...

:!: Scott mentioned to me that coopers thinks that this fine ale might be the first ever naturally brewed beer in a can available in the world! (that is, it has the full secondary fermentation performed in the can). cool huh. :)

gs).

I do remember buying a case of sparkling ale cans in the early 80's

(don't remember finishing them but thats another story)

I do remember them having sediment in the cans, which would indicate secondary ferment in the can?

but i could be wrong I usually am

the minister for war & finance says i am always wrong

• 5 months later...

Can anyone tell me if Dr Tim's is available anywhere in Darwin? Haven't been able to find it anywhere let alone a bottleshop manager that knows what I am talking about.

Chris

christine.cakebread@nt.gov.au[/url]

Just tried my first Dr Tim's. To be honest, quite a let down. Now, I am a die hard Coopers drinker but not impressed at all. As far as I am concerned beer in cans is BAD! I'll be sticking to the Pale and Sparkling that's for sure.

• 1 month later...

C'mon Doogle, give it another chance. I love Dr. Tims, and a message to all, Dr. Tims cans are Murray River safe (ie. while canoeing in groups, you can toss a tinny to another canoer, miss, and the little tin of green goodness will float to the top, happily bobbing in the water, every time!).

Tinnies are convenient sometimes, they stack better than bottles and can be used in anti-glass venues, and are better for taking hiking because you can

stuff a carton or two in a backpack drink them, crunch them down, and put them back in your backpack, and you have more space on the return journey - plus they're lighter due to the difference of weight between glass and aluminium. and also, you can now shotgun a coopers ale. I'd never done that before but have now (great for instant thirst quench)!

for a tinned ale, its brilliant. love it love it love it. 8)

I find that canned beer is good because you can cool it faster than bottled beer, and fit more into a small space. I also find that canned beer is bad because it gets warm faster than a beer in glass. Overall, the old saying "good things come in glass" wins. The best beer is in a glass, poured from a keg!

Bob (the home brewed keg beer drinker)

I'll admit that cans have the advantage of portability and quicker chilling. But thats about it. To me there is a distinct 'metallic' taste evident which does nothing for the beer itself. I wouldn't go as far as calling Dr Tims a Pale Ale in a can - tastes nothing like Pale Ale. I have found this to be the case with all beer from all manufactures that is available in both bottle and can that I have tried - just doesn't taste the same. The can detracts from the 'traditionality' - if I can (no pun intended) call it that - of what Coopers stands for... REAL BEER.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

I have a full carton of full cans of Dr. Tims in cans never released to the public. They are wrapped in Coopers Draught plastic wrap and in a Coopers Draught carton. they were sold to the employees only to get their feedback. what would something like this be worth today. I don't think it would be any good to drink, but to a collector it may have some value. can anyone help with a value or a web site where i could get a evaluation..Thanks..

Archived