Coopers Community

Beer Glasses! What do you all use?

josht4

4 hours ago, BlackSands said:

I used to have 6 large Hoegaarden glasses that were supplied free with their beer at one time.  Don't particularly like them, feels like I'm drinking out of a small bucket so I only kept one when I last moved house and disposed of the rest. 

Hah, when I used to live in Brisbane, my colleagues and I would often drink Hoegaarden at the Belgian Beer Cafe. We called them buckets, too. Lots of Monty Python references - "Bring me a bucket!" 😀

31 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

You can buy 6 X headmaster schooner glasses off eBay for about $30 (give or take) but the postage is a bit pricey. Cooper's should offer to sell their pint glasses at their ale houses for a few extra bucks and that'd solve everything 👍

I was at a Coopers pub here last night - I asked if I could buy a few of the Coopers branded glasses. The barman was a bit "um, ah", so I'll try and catch the owner some other time I'm in there. Really, if bars can get this stuff, we should be able to buy some in the merchandise section of the online store, IMHO. 👍

Anyway, even though I don't like lagers and pilsners, I do like to drink out of 10oz pilsner glasses. My other favourites are nonic and conical imperial pint (20oz) glasses.

Actually, glasses and packaging is one of my pet peeves. I want to pour out my beer straight away, so I want glasses that match the packaging. Trying to find nice, or even any, 0.33cl glasses is hard. 750ml doesn't have a nice glass size. It's why I have so many LCPA pint bottles that I use for my brews. I can either do a single pour into a matching glass, or share with a friend into 2x 10oz glasses and be done with the bottle.

• Like 1

I picked up six Headmaster glasses in the Salvos shop before Christmas.
Took them to the counter and was told as I was buying all six that would be $3.
I gave them $10 and told them to keep the change.

Probably nicked out the pub or club I expect.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I thought a glass was a glass til I went to a Speigelau tasting, and they ran us through 4 beers with tastes from the bottle, a standard pub glass and theirs. Huge difference. The 4 pines porter in a pub glass was a noticeably bitter. In the Speigelau it was velvety and smooth, everyone in the room tasted the same difference. The taste host suggested if you were buying a decent beer in a pub, to ask for a big red wine glass - it will be a decent improvement.

Pub glasses are built for practicality and safety, they're thick and cheap. Good glasses are designed to help you taste and smell the beer, something that is redundant in most pub beers.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Graculus said:

Yup. Go to 9 or 10 salvos or vinnies or 2nd hand markets and you will have picked up every style of glass you ever need all for under $5 each.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Graculus said:

I got 6 new and boxed 500ml Stella glasses from my local op shop for just $8. Unfortunately I have clumsy friends so I now only have 3...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gazzala said:

I got 6 new and boxed 500ml Stella glasses from my local op shop for just $8. Unfortunately I have clumsy friends so I now only have 3...

I tend to only let my guests use the Headmaster glasses.

To be honest most of my favourite beer glasses are in a display cabinet and never used.

But I do like a look around vinnies etc and pick up the odd glass now and again.
I had to smuggle a few in after the missus asked if I had enough.
I saw some nice ones the other week that I didn't buy. They were for a dark NSW brew. Can't remember the name off hand.
I regret it now, but I didn't need them.

Edited by Graculus

The beer glasses I listed above are the glasses I use. My actual favourite glass is a Westvleteran chalice my daughter bought me in Belgium (along with a bottle of Westvleteran XII).

OT: Give your kids plenty of love. They give it back in the most surprising and pleasant ways. 👍

5 minutes ago, Instigator said:

The beer glasses I listed above are the glasses I use. My actual favourite glass is a Westvleteran chalice my daughter bought me in Belgium (along with a bottle of Westvleteran XII).

OT: Give your kids plenty of love. They give it back in the most surprising and pleasant ways. 👍

I'd love to have a westy 12. Side by side with my favourite chimay blue.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Picked up these beauties in a set this afternoon.  Secondhand, but never used.  Really just wanted the tulip glass on the left.

Glasses.jpg.f8f4c6dffa853e4d84cecdc37ae13d55.jpg

I love tulips for beer. Been using it since the 90s when I got some from a restaurant I worked at. Nice Weizen glass! 

Edited by der kleine Drache
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, der kleine Drache said:

I love tulips for beer. Been using it since the 90s when I got some from a restaurant I worked at. Nice Weizen glass! 

Tried the tulip tonight to hold a Scotch Ale.

Will have to brew a Weizen to give that glass an appropriate christening too.

• Like 1