Coopers Community

Beer Glasses! What do you all use?

josht4

Here's an example of the 16oz pint glasses I got at the cheapy store for $1 each;Sunset Gold APA in glass

I also can't understand why many places over here don't give head.

I like a proper German pour myself. But there are so many good "craft" beers,as we call them over here. But they can get very expensive indeed. I mean $10.99 a 4 pack expensive. A few are $13.99 a 6'r.

I agree about the home brewing mecca bit. There is just so much available here,including cutting edge home brewing technique on all levels. All manner of DME's,LME's,hops,grains,etc. It's easier to do all kinds of things with cooper's cans,for instance,because of this availability. I just tried to share this with you folks down under,& some resented it. Or so it seemed?

But I see many permutations of my APA recipe going around here now. It's a good thing,I think to see y'all experimenting with our style takes on beers from other countries. I wish you guys could've tried my APA/IPA. The IPA is coming along nicely,couple more weeks aging. So good to see you guys coming here & having a good time exploring...

Here's an example of the 16oz pint glasses I got at the cheapy store for $1 each;Sunset Gold APA in glass

I like a proper German pour myself. But there are so many good "craft" beers,as we call them over here. But they can get very expensive indeed. I mean $10.99 a 4 pack expensive. A few are $13.99 a 6'r.

I agree about the home brewing mecca bit. There is just so much available here,including cutting edge home brewing technique on all levels. All manner of DME's,LME's,hops,grains,etc. It's easier to do all kinds of things with cooper's cans,for instance,because of this availability. I just tried to share this with you folks down under,& some resented it. Or so it seemed?

But I see many permutations of my APA recipe going around here now. It's a good thing,I think to see y'all experimenting with our style takes on beers from other countries. I wish you guys could've tried my APA/IPA. The IPA is coming along nicely,couple more weeks aging. So good to see you guys coming here & having a good time exploring...

In Australia, for 14 bucks a 6 pack you're very hard pressed to find something other than light beer and macro lager.

I've often seen $25 a six pack for good microbrew.

Totally agree Leonard about enormous range of wonderful US craft beers. .I am a little amused at your thinking a 6 pack of top craft beer for $14(A$12.80) being very expensive as here we would think it most reasonable. Mind you we cant buy a 30 pack of BMC for $19 either. The sheer quantity of US Craftbeers leads to distribution issues for smaller brewers and I often found it difficult to find any of my favorite beers (Redhook's Copperhook,Rougue's Dead Guy Ale or New Belgium's Fat Tire) when traveling around the states.

Do not take anything I say as a criticism of US beers which are fantastic - I just cannot understand why brewpubs do not take the care to present their beers with a head like I know individual US homebrewers like yourself do. And in my opinion handing someone a badly presented beer is like giving someone an unwrapped Xmas present.

Much to Muddy\u2019s disgust I use the disposable plastic ones. When they get a bit like, not pouring a good beer I chuck them away and grab another. They have the added advantage of making you feel like your at the cricket. If you get too pissed and you upset your mate he can\u2019t glass you, what a great idea!

Leonard, that $10-99 a 4 pack are they longnecks or stubbies?

A single Coopers longneck 750ml here in Sydney will cost around $5.Thats why we brew our own.

Warren

That is the price for stubbies Warren but they sell beer in every supermarket in the non dry counties and towns and you get some amazing specials like 6 craft beers for $9 or $10 US dollars regularly.

BAck on topic;

Glass jugs are $2 at K-Mart

Only refrigerate your glasses or jugs if you like to dilute your beer with water, for that is what is condensing on the vessel from the very moment you take out.

You will never see chilled glasses in any establishment that has full respect for beer!

I refrigerate my glasses a bit, but they are not refrigerated to the point of being so cold. It doesnt create much condensation but it also keeps my beer chilled when I want to drink out of my mugs.

I normally have the glasses around the same temp as my beer.

jsga.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is a Cricket glass containing J S Golden Ale, wonderful!

You can have all your fancy glasses, I never have any trouble with these, I just rinse with either hot or cold water, a quick dry and they always pour a great beer.

They have the added advantage of making you feel that you are at the cricket or the football. They give the feeling of the great outdoors even though you might be sitting on you bum watching your favourite sport on the telly. For our International members please feel free to supplant your favourite sport in place of footy or cricket.

They are also cheep and unbreakable, what more could a bloke want?

Ps. It's a little cloudy, guess thats the Wheat DME!

Hi Newtown,

I see what you mean about the water condensing on the glass and all but do you really think this much dilution would take away from the quality of the beer?

Chad

Do your own side by side comparison...

The only beer I serve that cold (0-4C) is a beer I don't want to taste (megaswill lagers). Your taste buds don't work well at those temps.

From Wiki

Beer writer Michael Jackson proposed a five-level scale for serving temperatures: well chilled (7 \xb0C/45 \xb0F) for "light" beers (pale lagers); chilled (8 \xb0C/46 \xb0F) for Berliner Weisse and other wheat beers; lightly chilled (9 \xb0C/48 \xb0F) for all dark lagers, altbier and German wheat beers; cellar temperature (13 \xb0C/55 \xb0F) for regular British ale, stout and most Belgian specialities; and room temperature (15.5 \xb0C/59.9 \xb0F) for strong dark ales (especially trappist beer) and barley wine.

Drinking chilled beer began with the development of artificial refrigeration and by the 1870s, was spread in those countries that concentrated on brewing pale lager. Chilling beer makes it more refreshing, though below 15.5 \xb0C (59.9 \xb0F) the chilling starts to reduce taste awareness and reduces it significantly below 10 \xb0C (50 \xb0F). Beer served unchilled\u2014either cool or at room temperature, reveal more of their flavours. Cask Marque, a non-profit UK beer organisation, has set a temperature standard range of 12\xb0-14 \xb0C (53\xb0-57 \xb0F) for cask ales to be served.

Try a Coopers ESVA at fridge temp side by side with one that has been outside the fridge for half an hour. The difference is great.

My ESVA clone is kept on the shelf in my cool kitchen, popped in the fridge for no longer than 10 mins and served around 16C

Hi Newtown,

I don't dispute the varying ideal temperatures of different styles of beer. In fact I am right there with you on this page. I was simply doubting the effects of dilution of the beer from the condensation of a chilled glass. I have chilled glasses on hand but i don't always drink chilled beer in them. I sometimes drink room temperature beer in them depending on the style. I suppose this is similar to popping one in the frig for 10mins to chill it down to preferred temperature.[cool]

Chad

Again, do your own comparison. The differnece will be in detectable aroma...

Also, The BJCP, The Beer Advocate and THE beer God - Michael Jackson, all denounce chilled/frosted glasses for the same reason.

If you cannot detect a difference, and are happy with chilled vessels and your serving temp - no problem. After all, you brew for yourself, not for others.

I thought Micheal Jackson was the "King of Pop", James Brown was the "Godfather of Soul" and Bruce Springsteen was "The Boss". Whether this is all fact or fiction. The plain truth is I am only trying to give you a hard time[devil]. I drink beer from chilled glasses, unchilled glasses, chilled and unchilled bottles or combination of the bunch. I am foreveer doing my own comparision [biggrin] .

Chad

I hate those plastic cups Warren. Beer should be drank out of something strong and proud, not weak and cheap looking [tongue] .

It does look fairly tasty tho. I might have to crack open a couple when I get home tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with a lot of people here that you can't go past the Headmasters. Its like having a storm in your glass!!!

Having said that I love the old Dimple Mugs. I brought some the other day 4x10oz mugs and 2x570ml mugs. Might try them out tonight for the big game against Hawks and the Cats.

Go Hawks

My beer glass is actually a trophy glass, Ive won a few of them playing corporate bowls. they are about 375ml, nice gold print on them. Nice heavy base, big handle. Perfect stubby size. I keep 2 of them in the freezer.

If you pour well enough you will learn how to avoid the sediment.

Personally I poor most of it into the glass them leave about 50ml. Once i have drank most of the glass, I mix through what is left in the bottle and pour it into the glass and drink it.

But everyone has their own thing.