Coopers Community

Ales and Lagers

Johnny  Brew-Good

HI , I noticed in the FAQ's that the differance between Ales and Lagers was explained principally by the strain of yeast used .

The DICTIONARY OF DRINK AND DRINKING, by Oscar a. Mendelson {Macmillan 1963} page 9 [annoyed] [yes its a real book!],States that Ales do not contain hops as opposed to most Beers[roll]

Are the modern names for our commercial beers or ales now just marketing terms ?

Stolen gratuitously from Wikipedia...

'The term "ale" was initially used to describe a drink brewed without hops, unlike "beer."'

'Ale typically has bittering agent(s) to balance the sweetness of the malt and to act as a preservative. Ale was originally bittered with gruit, a mixture of herbs (sometimes spices) which was boiled in the wort prior to fermentation. Later, hops replaced the gruit blend in common usage as the sole bittering agent.'

Anyone keen on fixing up some gruit? [biggrin]

Stolen gratuitously from Wikipedia...

'The term "ale" was initially used to describe a drink brewed without hops, unlike "beer."'

'Ale typically has bittering agent(s) to balance the sweetness of the malt and to act as a preservative. Ale was originally bittered with gruit, a mixture of herbs (sometimes spices) which was boiled in the wort prior to fermentation. Later, hops replaced the gruit blend in common usage as the sole bittering agent.'

Anyone keen on fixing up some gruit? [biggrin]

Well how about that! I knew that hops were introduced to beer at some stage but I had no idea what was used before that.

Very interesting!

I do believe that at one point in the general vicinity of england it was actually deemed illegal to hop their "ale" as they considered it a seperate drink, but as time wore on brewers secretly used the bittering awesomeness that is hop until it became commonplace. Perhaps someone else knows a little more detail about this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I remember reading somewhere that is is not only the strain of yeast' date=' but that it was a winter beer fermented longer at lower temperatures, and then cold "lager-ed" for some time before drinking.[/quote']

lol where did you read that crap?.... the seasons DO NOT determine if it is a Lager or Ale.

The yeast determines if it comes out as a lager or an ale. However, Lager is another word for "storage" but when talking in terms such as the OP, Lager is the yeast strain.

I do believe that at one point in the general vicinity of england it was actually deemed illegal to hop their "ale" as they considered it a seperate drink' date=' but as time wore on brewers secretly used the bittering awesomeness that is hop until it became commonplace. Perhaps someone else knows a little more detail about this?[/quote']

I believe that was more about the fact that the king had a tax on spices, the use of hops would have taken a chunk out of that and thus use of hops was banned...

cant recall where I heard/read this so I could just be making it up [lol]

Yob

• 4 weeks later...

Depends what kind of beer you want to make Benny...but one piece of general advice I'd give you is to toss our the BE1 and replace it with 1kg of LDM.

But you asked about yeast - my favourite APA yeast is US-05 but that doesn't suit all styles.

• 2 months later...

I have a couple of Wormwood plants growing that I am planing to try at some time soon. I believe apart from it's famed use to make Absenth it is the second bitterest herb. It has a strong citrus overtone and I think it would make a nice addition to a crisp Pale Ale.

Anyone tried Wormwood or any suggestions of how to use it as a bittering agent?

I do believe that a Lager beer is one that has been fermented and stored in a cool location. From memory around 14 degrees c.

Yes it does require a special yeast to ferment at these temperatures.

Most yeast supplied in the kit will just go to sleep at this temperature.

To make a lager (at the correct Temp) I use Saflager S-23 yeast. Google that and you will see the correct temperature range.

Works a treat for me.

Hope this helps,

Greg

• 8 years later...

Goanna Brewery makes Mackay Lager. Tried a schooner of this yesterday and was a nice drop. Very fruity smell and taste, first sip and as the drink got lower the taste changed to a malty flavour and was a pleasant sour taste. I noticed the lager left no after taste on the tongue once swallowed. Was a sharp and clean taste. Dangerous as came across as a good thirst quencher lol. If ya ever in the Mackay Queensland area drop in to Schnitty in a Box and try some.

On 9/29/2012 at 12:42 AM, GregF7 said:

I do believe that a Lager beer is one that has been fermented and stored in a cool location. From memory around 14 degrees c.

Yes it does require a special yeast to ferment at these temperatures.

Most yeast supplied in the kit will just go to sleep at this temperature.

To make a lager (at the correct Temp) I use Saflager S-23 yeast. Google that and you will see the correct temperature range.

Works a treat for me.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Mate get onboard the Dubbya train, it's a ripper.  

• Like 1