Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

Earlier today I went out to do a bit of shopping & to grab a commercial version of the Coopers XPA to compare with my version recently brewed on the DIY front. While I was in BWS, I noticed a new offering on the shelf right next to the Coopers XPA, so I grabbed one to try.

ZythoZPA.jpg

I've sampled a lot of commercial pale ales in my time, but this has to be one of the most beautiful pale ales between 4 & 5% ABV I have EVER drank. It's that good! Lovely light malt colour with absolutely lovely forward hop flavour integration, lovely aromatics & a creamy white head that holds the glass to the end. The only mistake I made was not buying a 6 pack. I'm very impressed & I don't impress easy. Will be looking into how this was constructed & home-brewing a version for myself asap.

Check it out guys, you won't be disappointed.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Hairy said:

I saw one of Zytho beers in BWS today. I might try it.

Not a lot of info out there about them atm. Best I could find is they are contract brewing out of the Tribe Brewery in Goulburn, NSW but there is no link to them on the website.

They do an IPA as well. If anyone finds out anymore about them, please let me know or post something here.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Zytho Brewing - IPA

Consumed while bottling my Black IPA

Restrained yet distinctive pine and tropical aroma.

Very pleasant flavour.  Again restrained.  Maybe more like a beefed up XPA.

I can understand why Lusty liked their Pale Ale.

No "Independent Brewers" type stamp on the can.  Maybe a smallish brewery doing stuff under contract for BWS (where I got it, based on Lusty's experience with their PA)

IMG_1425.thumb.JPG.91d4367e27aee23e3a7575ed03bd4b58.JPG

• Like 3

Tribe is backed by a private equity firm amongst others and they have bought Stockade and Mornington Peninsula Breweries with the head brewers/previous owner staying on (pretty sure I read that about Mornington), hence the ability to make a decent beer. 

• Like 2

On 11/16/2019 at 3:31 PM, Hairy said:

I saw one of Zytho beers in BWS today. I might try it.

I’m designated driver tonight.

00088493-CD9F-43E2-9303-5299766F9264.thumb.jpeg.a05fb41cfbc26454ae7b37c7befd6d95.jpeg

What did you think of them Hairy? I wasn’t fussed with them. Tasted like watered down beer rather something properly brewed. I’ve had brewed soft drinks that had more guts then them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

What did you think of them Hairy? I wasn’t fussed with them. Tasted like watered down beer rather something properly brewed. I’ve had brewed soft drinks that had more guts then them.

I'm not a big fan of alcohol free beers; I usually can't finish a bottle. These were very drinkable for a alcohol free beer. I managed to get through three of them. 

They tasted like one of those thin, watery session IPAs that are on the market at the moment.

Is it good for a beer? - no; it lacks the punch and flavour that alcohol provides.

Is it good for an alcohol free beer? - absolutely.

I only bought it to test it out. $12.50 for a 4 pack. Next time I won't be driving.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20191129_203404.thumb.jpg.25704037d7f767c626841365e532199a.jpgIMG_20191129_203712.thumb.jpg.1de60d5caec1bed55e8d0cc3fd2ae26a.jpg

It was Friday yesterday

The White Rabbit beer was STUNNING. Easily worth the $8 i paid and also worth the $27 price tag. I must say though I am NOT a fan of oakk in beer. Fortunately it is barely perceptible in this one.
The cider was quite nice too, lovely dry cherry flavour.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I went & did the Coopers Brewery tour on Friday morning, then my partner & I decided to sneak out to a couple of other craft breweries not that far away. First we went to Big Shed Brewing & had some lunch there. They had just tapped an Apricot IPA. I didn't take a pic but the colour was really nice, & the flavour & aroma was terrific. I reckon some real apricots must have been used in the brew because the flavour was that prominent. Unfortunately the beer was a bit too sweet & lacked enough bitterness to balance it that made it borderline sickly sweet. Plenty of people there, a nice setup, & I will definitely go back again.

Then we ducked around to the Pirate Life Brewery.

PL_HazelnutRoche.jpg

Pirate Life Roché.

Roché short for rocher as in Ferrero Rocher. Hazelnut, Chocolate Dark Ale on nitro pour. Absolutely moooorish!

It was a humid, wet drizzly day. I could have sat there all afternoon drinking this stuff. Well @ 7.5% ABV, maybe not all afternoon unless I wanted to fall down occasionally.

A good day.

Lusty

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I went & did the Coopers Brewery tour on Friday morning, then my partner & I decided to sneak out to a couple of other craft breweries not that far away. First we went to Big Shed Brewing & had some lunch there. They had just tapped an Apricot IPA. I didn't take a pic but the colour was really nice, & the flavour & aroma was terrific. I reckon some real apricots must have been used in the brew because the flavour was that prominent. Unfortunately the beer was a bit too sweet & lacked enough bitterness to balance it that made it borderline sickly sweet. Plenty of people there, a nice setup, & I will definitely go back again.

Then we ducked around to the Pirate Life Brewery.

PL_HazelnutRoche.jpg

Pirate Life Roché.

Roché short for rocher as in Ferrero Rocher. Hazelnut, Chocolate Dark Ale on nitro pour. Absolutely moooorish!

It was a humid, wet drizzly day. I could have sat there all afternoon drinking this stuff. Well @ 7.5% ABV, maybe not all afternoon unless I wanted to fall down occasionally.

A good day.

Lusty

Hi Lusty, 

Went to Pirate Life and Big Shed last week. Ridiculous amount of beers on tap at PL and some real different stuff like hard green tea! I still went for my old favorites the IPA and Mosaic IPA. Had a great burger and IPA at the new Big Shed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Hi Lusty, 

Went to Pirate Life and Big Shed last week. Ridiculous amount of beers on tap at PL and some real different stuff like hard green tea! I still went for my old favorites the IPA and Mosaic IPA. Had a great burger and IPA at the new Big Shed. 

Yeah awesome selection on tap with both breweries.

If all the SA breweries could put their personal goals & aspirations aside, it would be great for them to collaborate for a bus tour of some kind that they all took part in & received a share of the proceeds from. It's wonderful advertising that leads to word of mouth you can't pay enough for, that can only help them all moving forward.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I have a six pack myself captain. My IPA keg blew last week and the one in the fv won’t be ready to be legged until next week. Had to go to Dans to get me IPA fix

Do yaself a favour and if ya have a spot of gin, Put 20-30ml into a full can of this stuff. 
It smooths out the IPA bitterness and adds some gin depth.

So so good. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Haha easily know the wife’s away 😂

Nothing has changed with the wife away ha ha ga

however, give it a crack, you won’t be disappointed 

10 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I do have a bottle of Bombay sapphire. I’ll give it a whirl fck it 

That would perfect

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

The few breweries up here work together and have craft beer "festivals" regularly.

Such a great idea.

Theres so many great craft breweries in SA its only natural to be competitive. I think its great that brewers like Big Shed, Little Bang and Mismatch have remained independent and are expanding. Definitely want to go to beer and bbq festival this year. 

43 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Theres so many great craft breweries in SA its only natural to be competitive. I think its great that brewers like Big Shed, Little Bang and Mismatch have remained independent and are expanding. Definitely want to go to beer and bbq festival this year. 

I went for the 1st time in 2019. Loved it. The first two days are nuts from those I know in the industry. Getting bigger & better each year or so I'm told.

I'll be going again in 2020.

Lusty.

On 11/30/2019 at 10:37 AM, Ben 10 said:

....I must say though I am NOT a fan of oakk in beer. 

Try it in a decent ABV IPA or Porter/Stout that I know you can make.

If you haven't brewed & tried Chad's IPA or something close to it, you're missing out on one of life's little pleasures when it comes to beers. I must revisit an oaked beer for a winter drinker again sometime. Unlike wine, if using oak chips they actually come together to a nice level in the right beer quite a bit earlier I reckon.

Cheers,

Lusty.