Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

I will have to try the Hop Hog again. From the tastings I've done I preferred the Lobethal IPA.

When I had the Hop Hog it was as you described the Bierhaus one. Way too gassy' date=' and all in the 4 pack were like that. There's a thread on another forum about the poor QC of Aussie craft breweries. Let's hope there's little truth to it. [img']unsure[/img]

The hop hog was the last one at the bottle shop. When they restocked I got 2 more. The 1st one was pine/resin not fruit aroma or flavour. So disappointed. Next day had the second and it was really good. No idea how 2 bottles, presumably from the same brew could be so different.

I got a mixed 6 from 1st Choice too and had 3 Sheets and the dark ale from Lord Nelson. They were not cold, so did the freezer thing with them. They were gassy. I guess the CO2 didn't have time to properly equilibrate at the new temperature. Got me wondering, if you grab a beer from the fridge and the bottle has just cooled down, will you be more likely to get a too frothy head?

I picked up a growler of 55 Pale Ale from Riverside Brewery yesterday.

If you want a great example of an American pale ale packed with Cascade hops then this is it. Great beer and very fresh love

I picked up a growler of 55 Pale Ale from Riverside Brewery yesterday.

If you want a great example of an American pale ale packed with Cascade hops then this is it. Great beer and very fresh love

I Googled beer growler, looks like a few places in Hobart will fill them up. Moo Brew for one, some of their Saison would be nice this spring.

Jack of Spades followed by The Constable.

Straight up I'd say The Constable is more to my liking. Fuggles, Topaz and Galaxy they say atop Munich Malt with some crystal. Now that's on not English..... is it?

Jack of Spades followed by The Constable.

Straight up I'd say The Constable is more to my liking. Fuggles' date=' Topaz and Galaxy they say atop Munich Malt with some crystal. Now that's on not English..... is it?[/quote']

We are part of the Empire biggrin

Pilsner Urquell - tops. Crisp and clean and refreshing.

Little Creatures IPA - very nice, well balanced and easy drinking. Nice piney finish.

Fursty Ferret - Sweet, nutty and nice. A little too malty sweet for me but very good.

Landlord - first mouthful was cold, no flavour. As it warmed a nice bitterness came through. Nice drop.

Old Fart - good stuff, copper coloured and some citrusy fruity hops. Nice one.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo - haven't cracked it yet but always good.

I liked your opinion of Little Creatures IPA, Ben10. I saw it a week or so ago, but after my disappointment with the Mountain Goat IPA it was given a swerve. However, time heals all wounds (well, except the fatal ones) so I'm ready to get back on the horse (yes, welcome to cliche corner) and I'll now have to try it next week.

I did get a few today (one of which was an IPA) and of the three I've polished off so far, all were very very nice in their own way.

White Rabbit Dark Ale: While it's probably close to the English Bitter style, I would have preferred a bit more hoppiness.

Feral Hop Hog: Really loved it a lot. Not a lot of bitterness, but flavour and aroma are right up there and just outstanding.

Maybe I shouldn't have had three tonight, but another was an IPA with a large elephant on the label unsure. The hops were not overpowered by bittering and it really was very very drinkable and enjoyable.

It restored my faith in IPAs.

Cheers

I liked your opinion of Little Creatures IPA' date=' Ben10. I saw it a week or so ago, but after my disappointment with the Mountain Goat IPA it was given a swerve. However, time heals all wounds (well, except the fatal ones) so I'm ready to get back on the horse (yes, welcome to cliche corner) and I'll now have to try it next week.

I did get a few today (one of which was an IPA) and of the three I've polished off so far, all were very very nice in their own way.

White Rabbit Dark Ale: While it's probably close to the English Bitter style, I would have preferred a bit more hoppiness.

Feral Hop Hog: Really loved it a lot. Not a lot of bitterness, but flavour and aroma are right up there and just outstanding.

Maybe I shouldn't have had three tonight, but another was an IPA with a large elephant on the label [img']unsure[/img]. The hops were not overpowered by bittering and it really was very very drinkable and enjoyable.

It restored my faith in IPAs.

Cheers

I haven't had it for a while but I quite liked the Mountain Goat IPA. What didn't you like about it?

The LC IPA is great but it is a little on the sweet side. Still a nice drop though; great flavour.

The Sleeping Giant (elephant label) gets bagged out a bit but I like it.

I have noticed a trend here; I like beer biggrin

Good morning.

Hairy, I didn't like the Mountain Goat IPA because IMHO they got the hop bitterness so high, it drowned out any perception of flavour hops. Of course, the beer needs to go through lots of years of nicotine layers on the tongue to find a taste bud to tickle so I don't have the most sensitive of palates.

My wife, Brunhilda, (a non smoker) has a wonderful vocabulary when it comes to tasting wines. It reminded me of one particular comment she made a few years back when she described a shiraz as "bulldozing it's way across the tongue". That pretty well sums up my thoughts on the MGIPA.

Cheers mate

PS. I decided to stop after the elephant last night, so there's one more to taste today. It's a JS Chancer Golden Ale.

PPS.

I have noticed a trend here; I like beer

Before you jump to hasty conclusions, one of the biggest mistakes I see in experimental design is not selecting sufficient samples in order to support your hypothesis. This often provides misleading results. The other issue with scientific analysis, especially with beer, is designing a study when several researchers get blotto and is called a double blind study. Of course, in this second examination, no one gives a damn. May I suggest, Hairy, you sample one helluva lot more beer so you can have confidence in your results?

Good morning.

Hairy' date=' I didn't like the Mountain Goat IPA because IMHO they got the hop bitterness so high, it drowned out any perception of flavour hops. Of course, the beer needs to go through lots of years of nicotine layers on the tongue to find a taste bud to tickle so I don't have the most sensitive of palates.

My wife, Brunhilda, (a non smoker) has a wonderful vocabulary when it comes to tasting wines. It reminded me of one particular comment she made a few years back when she described a shiraz as "bulldozing it's way across the tongue". That pretty well sums up my thoughts on the MGIPA.

Cheers mate

PS. I decided to stop after the elephant last night, so there's one more to taste today. It's a JS Chancer Golden Ale.[/quote']

I had a Sail & Anchor Devil Dodger IPA tonight. The flavour is subdued for the style but still very noticeable. The bitterness appears to be at the lower end for an AIPA but it is in balance. You may like this this one Phil.

The JS Golden Ale used to be a great little session beer but in the last year or so they seem to have changed the recipe and it is now a fairly bland offering. It is even worse in the tap king. I still drink it though; all in the name of research wink

I've been really enjoying some old Coopers faithfuls lately ... Pale, Sparkling, Dark and 2013 Vintage. The thing I like about these beers is that while they're full of flavour, they're not in your face. I find that I come to appreciate them more and more over time, and especially more since I've started brewing and know how hard it is to get a nicely balanced beer.

Now if only I could find somewhere in Canberra that has the 2014 Vintage ale in stock!

Now if only I could find somewhere in Canberra that has the 2014 Vintage ale in stock!

Hi Porsche-mad-man

I enjoy a challenge' date=' but this is the best I came up with. Go to the Coopers Vintage Ale website, scroll to the bottom of the page and (obviously) select Stockists. Then, in the location area type in Canberra or Outer Mongolia or BackOfWoopWoop. It shows 4 locations around Canberra. Of course, whether they still have stocks I'm not sure, but here's hoping.

Cheers

Edit 2:25 pm. Corrected 5 to 4 locations.

Matsos Smokey Bishop Dark Lager. Light and dark all at the same time, very pleasant hint of chocolate with a smooth malty background.

Adnams Broadside - very nice ESB, rich fruity and red, oh so red. Nice bitterness and a sweet finish to balance the big 6.3%.

Hawthorn Golden Ale - crisp, light and refreshing, some lingering hop characteristics - fruit - and some nice maltiness.

Mildura Brewery Astor Ale - Allegedly Cascade and Galaxy hops. I am unsure where the hops were but I don't think hey are in the beer.

Underwhelming, cloying sweetness, mild bitterness.

Mildura Brewery Astor Ale - Allegedly Cascade and Galaxy hops. I am unsure where the hops were but I don't think hey are in the beer.

Underwhelming' date=' cloying sweetness, mild bitterness.[/quote']

I tried this last weekend; it was very, very ordinary and I am being generous with that praise.

But, like you, I really enjoyed the Adnams Broadside.

Original Stoke Bomber Kiwi Pale Ale - don't know why but until today I have moved past this and not tried it.

This fell under the "buy three more and you'll get 10% off" deal, so I did.

Faintly fruity aroma, lovely finishing bitterness, must be high 40s IBU at a guess, really cleans the mouth. Some fruit in the middle and a good hit of crystal / caramel malts. Another positive is that it is a 650mL bottle, so it can at least fill a glass. I like it. Nice, well balanced Pale.

I made a rare visit to Dan Murphy's last night after work to purchase a few beers that we don't stock at my bottleshop.

I ended up buying & drinking them in the order listed...

2 x Beechworth Pale Ale 4.8%

1 x Crown Golden Ale 4.5%

1 x Karl Strauss Pintail Pale Ale 5.3%

1 x Sierra Nevada Pale Ale 5.6%

1 x Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA 7.2%

The Beechworth Pale Ale I've already commented on in the "Beechworth Pale Ale" thread, so won't bother repeating that here. A lovely beer. cool

Crown Golden Ale: I seriously don't know why they bothered. Yeah it's golden in colour & that's about it. Poor head, poor carbonation, poor lacing, no obvious hop aroma or flavour. The malt bill was OK I suppose but not dissimilar to that of Crown Lager. The main hop may have been changed from what is used in the lager, but it was so subdued it was hard to tell to be honest. A very tame & lifeless beer (IMHO).

As Gary Lyon would say, "Poor, poor, poor!" Let's just say I won't be buying one of these again. wink

Karl Strauss Pintail Pale Ale: What I got with this beer was totally unexpected. w00t

For my tastes, this beer is ridiculously good! I really can't speak highly enough about it. It's an American styled Pale Ale with a rich creamy (yes creamy!) caramel malt flavour that has been forward hopped with the citrusy type American hops to create a balance that I just couldn't fault. The glass lacing, head development, aromas & flavours were of the highest order.

This beer is easily now my favourite commercial APA. If you can get hold of some, definitely give it a go!

What an amazing beer! love

(Make note to oneself to begin researching a clone of this!)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale: A lovely drop as usual, but doesn't hold a candle to the previous mentioned beer (IMHO).

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA: Lovely full malt profile, firm bitterness, lovely forward citrusy hop flavours & aromas. Nice glass lacing with a smallish head. Yum!

I really enjoyed this one too. love

Except for the Crown Golden Ale, I enjoyed drinking each of the beers. It made for a nice change. cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

Karl Strauss Pintail Pale Ale: What I got with this beer was totally unexpected. w00t

For my tastes' date=' this beer is ridiculously good! I really can't speak highly enough about it. It's an American styled Pale Ale with a rich creamy (yes creamy!) caramel malt flavour that has been forward hopped with the citrusy type American hops to create a balance that I just couldn't fault. The glass lacing, head development, aromas & flavours were of the highest order.

This beer is easily now my favourite commercial APA. If you can get hold of some, definitely give it a go!

What an amazing beer! [img']love[/img]

(Make note to oneself to begin researching a clone of this!)

i agree with this. It is also my favourite commerical APA...when you find a clone, dont be shy in posting it please!

Alex

Oh no surprised

It appears I agree with Lusty. Taken from a post on page 2.

I had a few Karl Strauss Pintail Ales. These are great beers; just a really great example of an American Pale Ale.

All the Karl Strauss beers I have tried have been of great quality. The Tower 10 is a nice drop too. But I often grab a six pack of the Pintail when my stocks are running low.

i agree with this. It is also my favourite commerical APA...when you find a clone' date=' dont be shy in posting it please!

Alex[/quote']

Stats:

ABV: 5.3%

Color: 15 SRM

Bitterness: 47 IBU

Style: American Pale Ale

Malt: Pale 2-Row, Caramel 60

Hops: Cascade, Chinook and Dry Hopped with Amarillo

Shouldn't be too hard.

i agree with this. It is also my favourite commerical APA...when you find a clone' date=' dont be shy in posting it please!

Alex[/quote']

Stats:

ABV: 5.3%

Color: 15 SRM

Bitterness: 47 IBU

Style: American Pale Ale

Malt: Pale 2-Row, Caramel 60

Hops: Cascade, Chinook and Dry Hopped with Amarillo

Shouldn't be too hard.

Easy as. I'll be adding this to my to do list

Crown Golden Ale: I seriously don't know why they bothered. Yeah it's golden in colour & that's about it. Poor head' date=' poor carbonation, poor lacing, no obvious hop aroma or flavour. The malt bill was OK I suppose but not dissimilar to that of Crown Lager. The main hop may have been changed from what is used in the lager, but it was so subdued it was hard to tell to be honest. A very tame & lifeless beer (IMHO).

As Gary Lyon would say, "Poor, poor, poor!" Let's just say I won't be buying one of these again. [img']wink[/img]

I called into Dan's today and they were offering taste tests of the Crown Golden Ale.

It was truly awful sicksicksick

I don't mean that it was just bland and not something I usually enjoy. I mean it was horrible and I was looking for something to wash my mouth out with.

It was quite evil. I think it may have been made from the urine of the devil devil

I hope I just got a bad one.