Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

4 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Nice range of beers.

I'm trying to find what i want to brew next, i'm actually thinking a nice black IPA would be a good addition hmmmmm 🤔

Edited by Hoppy81

5 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

I'm trying to find what i want to brew next, i'm actually thinking a nice black IPA would be a good addition hmmmmm 🤔

I have never made one but based on the commercial ones I have tried it seems a tough style. I either find them fantastic or awful; no in between.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

I like a good Black IPA. 

I enjoyed Interceptor from Malt Shovel and I am carbing up the Kraken which is an all grain kit from the Grainfather website

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

64e91a3b868654ffff0d4fad7ef9e317_640x640

Anyone tried this?

I got given a 330ml sampler the other day & cracked it yesterday while having a session.

I was always under the impression a Porter was meant to be a lower ABV Stout. Apparently not in Poland! At 9.5% ABV, beer consumption slowed considerably on the day after this one.

A nice drop, I enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Haha 3

Got my Boozebud delivery the other day, i've only had the one pictured so far and it would be right up
There in one of the best beers i've tasted.

Dainton Supertrooper
Hope brewery Black IPA
Hop Nation Oatmeal stout
Young Henry's Motorcycle oil hoppy porter
Founders Breakfast stout
Founders KBS imperial aged barrel stout

Supertrooper.thumb.jpg.5533f5829872bbbcb50f388a137e5ff8.jpg

27 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Got my Boozebud delivery the other day, i've only had the one pictured so far and it would be right up
There in one of the best beers i've tasted.

Dainton Supertrooper
Hope brewery Black IPA
Hop Nation Oatmeal stout
Young Henry's Motorcycle oil hoppy porter
Founders Breakfast stout
Founders KBS imperial aged barrel stout

Supertrooper.thumb.jpg.5533f5829872bbbcb50f388a137e5ff8.jpg

The Founders Breakfast Stout is a cracking beer!

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

64e91a3b868654ffff0d4fad7ef9e317_640x640

Anyone tried this?

I got given a 330ml sampler the other day & cracked it yesterday while having a session.

I was always under the impression a Porter was meant to be a lower ABV Stout. Apparently not in Poland! At 9.5% ABV, beer consumption slowed considerably on the day after this one.

A nice drop, I enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

It's the other way around, stouts came/evolved from porters and were higher ABV and probably richer in flavour as well from the additional malt. These days the line is blurred at least in terms of ABV. Both styles seem to have examples of all different ABV levels. There is generally a clear difference in taste though. 

• Like 2

That's what I was referring to by difference in taste. Back in the old days the difference may not have been like that if it was just a higher ABV porter. Like my current stout is just a bigger version of my usual recipe; it tastes pretty similar, just a bit more intense, or like American IPAs are similar to APAs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's what I was referring to by difference in taste. Back in the old days the difference may not have been like that if it was just a higher ABV porter. Like my current stout is just a bigger version of my usual recipe; it tastes pretty similar, just a bit more intense, or like American IPAs are similar to APAs. 

Yeah totally agree. 

Porters were the “more expensive” beer with better ingredients than the stouts. Well from what I’ve read anyway. I wasn’t alive back in the early to mid 1800’s like @Beerlust was. 🤪🤪

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Fair call.

I love a RIS though. I will have to brew another soon

My Coopers RIS is easily the highest ABV I have made at 9.3%.  However, the alcohol is well masked in the beer.  This is a very easy beer to drink.  I have only had 1 tallie at a time.  Would be interesting to see how three would go down.  Prolly just before I did.

• Haha 2

I was lucky enough to try one of Ben 10s RIS. I was absolutely sensational. Although possibly a bit too boozy for me I really appreciated the style. It was great to sit back with that and chill over a couple of hour period. 

I keep thinking about brewing one to give away to my mates for a winter warmer. 

Oh my, next beer. Um, wife went ewwwwww, then came back for another drink.I love it, meaty flavours at the start, nicely sour, good bit of spice at the end then the meat clears to smoke. Weird stuff.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190611192054363_COVER.thumb.jpg.b994c68625c61d937866126cb55a558e.jpg

IMG_20190611_192742.jpg