Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

Hi Hairy.

The Mad Brewers beer is 568ml and the label says "Best Shared with a Friend".

They're not serious are they? If they wanted you to share it then they should give you more than a pint.

We just got this in at my bottleshop. I've been eyeing it for a day or two now. Let us know if it is any good Hairy. wink

I'd ask you for half a glass' date=' but I don't like my chances! [img']sad[/img]

biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

We just got this in at my bottleshop. I've been eyeing it for a day or two now. Let us know if it is any good Hairy.

After a good afternoon at the basketball watching the Kings defeat the 36ers' date=' I arrived home to sample a few beers.

The Blue Moon witbier was a refreshing start. The orange peel is quite dominant but not a bad drop.

I have just poured the Mad Brewers witbier and this is a cracker. It has a really strong spicy lime flavour. Not sure if it is everyone's cup of tea but I really like lime and this hits the spot. I definitely recommend you try this one Lusty and not share it [img']biggrin[/img]

After a good afternoon at the basketball watching the Kings defeat the 36ers' date=' I arrived home to sample a few beers.

The Blue Moon witbier was a refreshing start. The orange peel is quite dominant but not a bad drop.

I have just poured the Mad Brewers witbier and this is a cracker. It has a really strong spicy lime flavour. Not sure if it is everyone's cup of tea but I really like lime and this hits the spot. I definitely recommend you try this one Lusty and not share it [img']biggrin[/img]

Thanks for the extemporaneous (I hope you appreciate the use of diction here Sir Les biggrin) update on the NBL Hairy. So that makes Adelaide only 5 games clear of Sydney now, & one of only 3 teams in the league with a 50%+ record? whistling

With the unrelated matter now spoken for,...your positive review of the MB witbier has swayed me enough to buy it & try it. Thanks. cool

biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 1 month later...

SWMBO has bought me a six pack of every James Squire beer (except for the Hop Thief which hasn't made it here yet and two six packs each of Stow Away and The Constable).

This is my first taste of the Stow Away and I think this may be their best beer. A lovely balance between malt, bitterness and aroma. Another win for English hops. This one may be hard to emulate.

Pax

Scottie

Valley Brew

SWMBO has bought me a six pack of every James Squire beer (except for the Hop Thief which hasn't made it here yet and two six packs each of Stow Away and The Constable).

This is my first taste of the Stow Away and I think this may be their best beer. A lovely balance between malt' date=' bitterness and aroma. Another win for English hops. This one may be hard to emulate.

Pax

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

I like their English styled beers more too. The IPA, Amber ale and the Constable.

The hop thief was good though; I had this on tap. I have just now realised that it is a part or their normal range in bottles but I haven't seen it out my way yet.

I also like some of their limited edition Malt Shovel Brewery beers.

I also saw that 150 Lashes will soon be available in Tap King kegs. I hope it is better than the Golden Ale, that was very average and tasted metallic.

Hey Hairy

Just about to crack a Constable, two IPA is probably enough on a Monday Night. I may need to get some Fuggles in my next order.

BTW SWMBO also got me a285ml JS Constable glass.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

unsure

Don't know but she just got me a carton of James Squire Hop Thief for me to try. Funny how I brewed two self designed clones before I even tried one. Nothing like it really. I struggle to get these solid malt backbones happening when I do an APA.

Cheers

Scottie

I decided to buy some commercial beer this weekend so I called into Dan Murphys and bought:

The Australian Brewery Pale Ale

4 Pines Pale Ale

Matilda Bay Alpha Pale Ale

Mountain Goat Fancy Pants

Bridge Road Beechworth Pale Ale

Jenlain Ambree (Biere de Garde)

The Mountain Goats Fancy Pants is one of my favourite beers but has always been a limited release. It is now available in cans w00t, so hopefully it is a permanent addition to the line up.

I've only tried one of those beers..The Australian Brewery Pale Ale, smile and I can tell you that, like most beers, it's noticeably different/better from the tap, especially when the tap is about 20 metres from the brewhouse (fresh).

Did you know that can see the brewery from inside the pub, separated only by a big glass wall ?

You can sort of see it in the left of this pic...

ab.jpg

Seems like a new trend has started for craft breweries to put thier beers in cans, apparently it is cheaper and more environmentally friendly to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Artisan is the beer thrust in my hand at the end of a day when helping out my winemaker mate (distant relative sideways).

I don't complain - it's a massive step-up from his previous favourite.

Recently, I bought just one bottle of the latest "Hop Thief". Mmmm, will need to sample a few more just to confirm initial thoughts. tongue In the name of research...

Artisan is the beer thrust in my hand at the end of a day when helping out my winemaker mate (distant relative sideways).

I don't complain - it's a massive step-up from his previous favourite.

Recently' date=' I bought just one bottle of the latest "Hop Thief". Mmmm, will need to sample a few more just to confirm initial thoughts. [img']tongue[/img] In the name of research...

Not sure what his previous favourite was but the Artisan is much, much better than the 62 Pilsner.

I tried a couple of hop thiefs; not sure if these were recently bottled but it has a very fresh hop taste to it. A bit of residual sweetness there but I don't mind that.

Not sure what his previous favourite was but the Artisan is much' date=' much better than the 62 Pilsner.[/quote'] BINGO!! He found the 62 to be refreshing after a long day in the vineyard. Now that I've experienced vineyard work first-hand, I get what he means...

But of recent, he has his local bottlo stocking Artisan. biggrin

• 2 weeks later...

MOA - 99 Not Out.

Very nice easy drinking Aussie style pale - ie not hop forward at all.

Endeavour Bright Ale - really not good at all, styled as an Aussie Pale and just tastes like a typical aussie draught beer.

MOA - Methode Champenoise

Pilsner, very nice drop. I'll have to have a go at a pilsner soon.

Murray's Punch n Judy Ale.

Great for a low alcohol beer, good flavour and body.

Ballast Point Big Eye IPA.

The best ever, I love it.

No fruit, none of that shite, big, bitter, dank.

More bitter than your ex-wife.

Brilliant.

Since I'm away from home, I've been following some of these suggestions with Craft-type brews. Until about 10 days ago, I hadn't bought a beer at a pub or bottle shop for many many years, so I feel I have some catching up to do (until my dear Brunhilda rings me and says to stop using the credit card).

So all of these have been new to me (even though I've done some home brew versions of a few of them):

Coopers Celebration Ale: what a delight. It certainly tastes quite different to my version of PB2s recipe. Lovely hop flavour up front and it lingers in the mouth very nicely. I'll be buying another 6-pack of this soon.

Coopers Pilsener 62: Was a real suprise. Very crisp, clean and fresh, with a citrus-type taste. I'll have to think about trying to do something like this one.

Hop Thief #6: I'm in two minds about it. Certainly plenty of hops, but I'm not convinced the combination of Simcoe and Columbus is my favourite. Don't get me wrong, if someone offered me one for free I wouldn't knock it back, but I think I'd prefer to buy something else.

Coopers Sparkling Ale: Way way better than my attempt at cloning it. I'll have to go over my brew notes and see if I stuffed something up. Again, it was much fresher tasting and didn't have the esters mine seemed to. I'll probably try to brew my next one a few degrees cooler.

Little Creatures Rogers Beer: Another real surprise. Lovely full-flavoured mid-strength beer (so I didn't feel guilty drinking the whole 600 ml (??) bottle myself).

Little Creatures Pale Ale (edited to correct mistake): Not a bad beer, but a little underwhelming. It wasn't tasteless by any means, but it didn't seem to be very exciting. My 13 year old son has a favourite saying when he looks at me dryly and says "Good story, dad. Needs more dragons". So in the same vein, good beer, needs more hops.

James Squire 150 Lashes: Clean but mild flavour. But in the low 4 percents, it makes a very easy drinking session beer (although I think I'd prefer the LC Rogers Beer).

After seeing Hairy's comments above I'll try the Artisans Reserve 6-pack next. So little time, so many beers.

Since I'm away from home' date=' I've been following some of these suggestions with Craft-type brews. Until about 10 days ago, I hadn't bought a beer at a pub or bottle shop for many many years, so I feel I have some catching up to do (until my dear Brunhilda rings me and says to stop using the credit card).

So all of these have been new to me (even though I've done some home brew versions of a few of them):

[u']Coopers Celebration Ale[/u]: what a delight. It certainly tastes quite different to my version of PB2s recipe. Lovely hop flavour up front and it lingers in the mouth very nicely. I'll be buying another 6-pack of this soon.

Coopers Pilsener 62: Was a real suprise. Very crisp, clean and fresh, with a citrus-type taste. I'll have to think about trying to do something like this one.

Hop Thief #6: I'm in two minds about it. Certainly plenty of hops, but I'm not convinced the combination of Simcoe and Columbus is my favourite. Don't get me wrong, if someone offered me one for free I wouldn't knock it back, but I think I'd prefer to buy something else.

Coopers Sparkling Ale: Way way better than my attempt at cloning it. I'll have to go over my brew notes and see if I stuffed something up. Again, it was much fresher tasting and didn't have the esters mine seemed to. I'll probably try to brew my next one a few degrees cooler.

Little Creatures Rogers Beer: Another real surprise. Lovely full-flavoured mid-strength beer (so I didn't feel guilty drinking the whole 600 ml (??) bottle myself).

Little Creatures Bright Ale: Not a bad beer, but a little underwhelming. It wasn't tasteless by any means, but it didn't seem to be very exciting. My 13 year old son has a favourite saying when he looks at me dryly and says "Good story, dad. Needs more dragons". So in the same vein, good beer, needs more hops.

James Squire 150 Lashes: Clean but mild flavour. But in the low 4 percents, it makes a very easy drinking session beer (although I think I'd prefer the LC Rogers Beer).

After seeing Hairy's comments above I'll try the Artisans Reserve 6-pack next. So little time, so many beers.

I love Rogers ale, and not just when I want a mid-strength; I will often choose it as my standard beer. You probably bought the pint sized bottle so it would be 568ml, enough for one person wink The Punch & Judy mentioned by Ben 10 is another good one.

Phil, definitely try the Artisans Reserve next time, it is a really nice drop and, in my opinion, much better than the 62.

Oh Hairy, hairy, hairy, hairy, hairy. No. Wait a minute. That's not the message I'm trying to convey. Hmmm. Oh yeah. Oh McGoo, you've done it again!

I can now see why you and PuBes2 were raving about the Artisans Reserve. Just a touch more bitterness than I'd expect with a pilsner. And quite a bit of hop flavouring as well. I get just a hint of maltiness, and certainly not over the top.

Here's where I'm putting my family jewels on the line. I can certainly tell there's Hallertau hops there, but my gut taste says there's another type of hop in there as well that's not listed on the label. I can't work out what it is, and I'm certain PB2 wouldn't want to divulge what it may be if there is another one, so I won't take that any further. Irrespective, lovely front up taste, then tempering on the palate, and then a final lingering taste boost.

Well done and great find. Ta for the recommendation.

Cheers

PS. I also came home with a 4-pack of Mountain Goat India Pale Ale to try, but I won't touch that until tomorrow 'cos I'm having too much fun with the Artisans. I also bad mouthed the LC Bright Ale in an earlier post, and I'd tossed the empty bottle in the bin by then. But when I looked at the bottlo today I realised I had previously got the LC Pale Ale and am yet to try the Bright Ale. So, spending permission permitted, I'll give that one a go too; I couldn't find the Punch & Judy on the shelves sad

Often times around here I have to listen to the Crow Eaters going on about their beloved Coopers.

You know I love them too, but it would be nice for my local champion to produce something worthwhile.

w00t

Cascade First Harvest brew date March 12, 2014. Before my switch to Beer Snobbery I used to love Cascade Draught, Pale Ale and Premium Lager.

But now I am content with the annual release of the first harvest, no good or the APA and IPA hop heads but those who enjoy an English style Ale will enjoy.

No Idea about the hops they're all famous people

Macquarie

Argyle

Brooker

A Pale Malt backbone and a 5.5% ABV kick.

Suck it up SA

Cheers

Scottie

I quite like it too Scotty.

Had some a fortnight ago. Interesting fact for bottlers' date=' they come in 375ml crown seal bottles. Can't actually think of much else that does? [img']unsure[/img]

Yes Phil they do

Quite arty the bottle labelling is too, like Cascade is trying to join (market to) the Craft Beer revolution.

Just having a second, and I was planning an AFD bandit ah well there's always tomorrow.

It's nearly Friday night (somewhere) so it's not really jumping the gun, much. Starting on the LC Bright Ale, and I'm glad I picked up the error the other day. It's a really nice beer. Not a lot of hop bittering, but plenty of later additions to the kettle. Lots of flavour. I'll have to check previous posts on the forum to see if someone's got a reasonably close clone.

The other one to try later when it's cooled down is The Constable. I haven't bothered to look, but I seem to have recollections there were some posts praising this English-style Bitter previously. Hope everyone else has something to look forward to tonight.

Edit added 4:18 pm. I forgot to mention the Mountain Goat India Pale Ale. I'd would love to hear others experience with this one because I'm not an expert on IPAs (nor had many others that I recall). Certainly a lot of bitterness and it was 6.2% or similar. Yet there seemed to be little in the way of flavour or aroma hops. Is that normal or have I killed my taste buds?