Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

• 1 year later...

A bit late to the party...but my recollection of the NS Pale Ale was that I didn't really like it. I did like the Torpedo IPA though, but it was bordering on too resinous/chemical like for me. I thought the 10 Towers IPA was balanced better (for me). I would try the Torpedo again though, I have a feeling that as I drink more of the stronger IPA's I will crave more hops/bitterness.

• 1 month later...

This post doesn't really fit in this thread but I couldn't be bothered starting a new one. I had one beer and it was Friday, so let's pretend I had six of them.

Yesterday I had a 4 Pines Centennial Ale (on tap). This is part of their single hop series and was such a nice, fruity refreshing beer.

I am pretty sure the grain bill was 95% ale malt and 5% wheat malt with only Centennial hops (obviously).

Just shows that beers don't necessarily need to be complex to be great.

• 7 months later...

Similar to post #28, I had some beer and couldn't be bothered starting a new thread. I bought a few beers to drink during my brew day today.

I had a few Karl Strauss Pintail Ales. These are great beers; just a really great example of an American Pale Ale.

I also had a 4 Pines ESB. This would be one of my favourite beers at the moment and it is a shame that most other Australian breweries aren't producing top quality English styled ales.

I also picked up a Burleigh Brewing Hasslehop ale. A great name but a train wreck of a beer. It was like they took every hop they could find and threw it in the beer without any thought of balance. I still drank it though [innocent]

Hi Hairy.

...Hasslehop ale. A great name but a train wreck of a beer. It was like they took every hop they could find and threw it in the beer without any thought of balance.

Hasslehop, sounds like Hasslehoff. He IS a train wreck. As an experienced brewer & drinker, you should have known better than even picking that up off the shelf Hairy! [ninja]

[lol]

Cheers & good brewing,

Anthony.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Cal USA

wow i cracked the lid on this and citrus/pine nose shot straight at me i immediately cried out Citra [love] and buckets of it. This beer is 7.2% and i am going to recommend it highly to the hop heads amongst us. Not everyones cup of tea (or beer) but for for me its a 4 out of 5. Will do a coopers IPA and load it up with Citra in the near future and see if i can get close.

3 more samples to go [bandit]

"

Atomic Pale Ale from Gage Roads in Perth an American Style Pale that is a nice beer. Another one using Citra but it doesnt blast your taste senses like the Atomic, if was to take a guess at the other hops i would probably go with Cenentennial. Light malty flavour which is a little lean for me but a nce beer all the same.

3.25 from me

I think a Coopers Pale Ale Kit with some Citra, Centennial and maybe a Amber Malt Extract would make a nice brew."

Im currently drinking my Thomas Coopers IPA with some steeped medium crystal, and hopped with 30 grams citra in the steeped wort, and then dry hopped with Centennial. i must say.. this is a bloody good brew!

would be interested in doing it with the Amber malt extract maybe next time..

but im definitely brewing this current IPA up again!

• 2 months later...

I had a trip up the Central Coast this weekend and called into Six String Brewery at Erina to sample a few beers. It is a pretty nice brewery.

I filled my growler with the ESB which isn't bad, but in hindsight I should have got the Red IPA or the Bobby Brown Ale. These were both nice beers and one has a great name wink

Scottie, I enjoy the Sleeping Giant. Most IPAs I have nowadays tend to be the American style and it is nice to sometimes go back to the simple English variety.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a 4-pack of Vale Ale (Aus Pale Ale) for $9.80 at First Choice.

Seen this beer in shops for a while but haven't read anything about it. Did a quick Google search and it turns our this beer has Cascade & Amarillo hops, same as they Fruit Salad Ale I currently have in the FV :)

1st Choice have an 8 pack of different Australian craft beers for $19. Good value and some very nice beers. I agree with Hairy in an earlier post, Sleeping Giant is a very nice drop. I had a 6 pack of Dundee IPA on the weekend and can highly recommend it.

While wandering the bowels of Canberra last night my friends and I stumbled upon an sneaky little prohibition style whiskey bar in the basement of some building. They had a nice spirit selection and some tasty cocktails but being quite partial to a nice beer (and on advice from my wallet) I decided to have a look at their beer selection. They only had 4 or 5 beers on the menu but it was nice to see some quality craft beer on offer. I tried Hargreaves Hill Pale Ale from Hargreaves Hill Brewing and My Wife's Bitter from Burleigh Brewing Co. The pale ale was great but I had to let the bitter warm up to truly appreciate it as it was served at some subzero temperature. Once it warmed up it was delicious, and much nicer and true to style than some other "bitters" I've tried since moving to Australia. I'd recommend them both.

1st Choice have an 8 pack of different Australian craft beers for $19. Good value and some very nice beers.

G'Day Nick, thanks for the heads up on this, I picked up a pack and tried the Pilsner last night, 3 in the pack, I liked the Balmain Brewery offering the most, Pale Ales tonight and a Thomas Cooper Selection Celebration Ale.

Thanks' again for the info, it's a good way to try some different beers.

Cheers

While wandering the bowels of Canberra last night my friends and I stumbled upon an sneaky little prohibition style whiskey bar in the basement of some building. They had a nice spirit selection and some tasty cocktails but being quite partial to a nice beer (and on advice from my wallet) I decided to have a look at their beer selection. They only had 4 or 5 beers on the menu but it was nice to see some quality craft beer on offer. I tried Hargreaves Hill Pale Ale from Hargreaves Hill Brewing and My Wife's Bitter from Burleigh Brewing Co. The pale ale was great but I had to let the bitter warm up to truly appreciate it as it was served at some subzero temperature. Once it warmed up it was delicious' date=' and much nicer and true to style than some other "bitters" I've tried since moving to Australia. I'd recommend them both.

[/quote']

CanaKiwi, keep an eye out for 4 Pines ESB; you can get it at most bottle shops now. I think it is one of the best Australian brewed ESBs I have tried.

Awesome' date=' thanks Hairy. I'll keep an eye out for that one. The only 4 Pines I have tried is their hefeweizen which I thought was nice but was missing a certain je ne sais quoi. [/quote']

4 pines pale ale, is excellent as well. i recently made an APA with Amber malt and loaded it with a mountain of citra. Its almost as good as the 4 pines imo.

1st Choice have an 8 pack of different Australian craft beers for $19. Good value and some very nice beers.

was at first choice the other day and picked this sampler up, was interesting to me, yes I have been living under a rock for a while (beer wise), the Thomas Coopers Selection Celebration Ale and the Steamrail Pale Ale(Liquorland Brand), not really craft brews. 3 Pilsners, Little Creatures, Balmain Brewery and James Squire 4 wives, I liked the Balmain, suited me the others not so much and then there was 3 Pale Ales, Steamrail, Sierra Nevada and Hawthorn all 3 very different and I liked them all for different reasons, preferred the Hawthorn for my taste.

Coopers Celebration Ale had only hints of flavour, a little disappointing and the Mountain Goat Hightail Ale was ok, I liked the sampler to try different beers, good idea and a good way to try some beers you may not usually pick up, I liked the Pale Ales and the Balmain Pilsner.

All good for the palate and fun as well. IMHO.

I sampled 5 beers from a craft brewery in Scotland, Brew Dogs. It was a mixed pack of IPA each made to the same base with a different hop for flavour and aroma in each, as well as their Hoppy Red Ale, 5am Saint.

There 4 pack was called IPA Is Dead and seems to be a seasonal selection. The four i had were Goldings, Dana, El Dorado and Waimea

The Waimea was my favourite of the 4 but the Hoppy Red Ale to me was the standout. Definately buy that again but not others, just not an overally strong hop aroma or flavour like i was expecting.

On another note, Launceston has a new craft bar/ only craft bar, St Johns, and stopped in there Sunday night. They showcase 5 Australian craft beers on tap continually changing. I had the Stone & Wood Pacific Ale and the Moo Brew Dark Ale. They also have the best selection of craft and boutique beers in stubbies available to buy takeaway (at bottleshop prices) or buy cold and have at the bar for slighly more.

Picked up the Sierra Nevade Celebration Ale (delicious), Sierra Nevada Torpedo double IPA (very good), Seven Sheds Stella IPA (beautiful on tap) and Seven Sheds special seasonal

Great venture and hope the lads do well with it and great to see it in Launceston

I decided to drop in to the bottlo and get a Saturday night six pack, although it will take me a couple of nights to get through them. I got:

Sierra Nevada Torpedo

Little Creatures IPA

Fullers London Pride

Blue Moon Belgian White

Leffe Radieuse

Mad Brewers Garden De Paradisi Witbier

Plus a six pack of Guiness Draught cans for $10. I will save those for St Patrick's Day.