Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

Crown Golden Ale: I seriously don't know why they bothered. Yeah it's golden in colour & that's about it. Poor head' date=' poor carbonation, poor lacing, no obvious hop aroma or flavour. The malt bill was OK I suppose but not dissimilar to that of Crown Lager. The main hop may have been changed from what is used in the lager, but it was so subdued it was hard to tell to be honest. A very tame & lifeless beer (IMHO).

As Gary Lyon would say, "Poor, poor, poor!" Let's just say I won't be buying one of these again. [img']wink[/img]

I called into Dan's today and they were offering taste tests of the Crown Golden Ale.

It was truly awful sicksicksick

I don't mean that it was just bland and not something I usually enjoy. I mean it was horrible and I was looking for something to wash my mouth out with.

It was quite evil. I think it may have been made from the urine of the devil devil

I hope I just got a bad one.

It does make you wonder how something so crap could actually be put into large scale production. Do they even taste the stuff before deciding to go into full mainstream production? rolleyes

Well I did a bit of digging, & apparently they do.

CUB's Chief Beer Taster

biggrin

Let's hope it is a limited release. Very limited. tongue

P.S. If it makes you feel any better Hairy, at least you didn't part with some of your hard earned cash (like I did) for the experience! pinched

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Porsche-mad-man

I enjoy a challenge' date=' but this is the best I came up with. Go to the Coopers Vintage Ale website, scroll to the bottom of the page and (obviously) select Stockists. Then, in the location area type in Canberra or Outer Mongolia or BackOfWoopWoop. It shows 4 locations around Canberra. Of course, whether they still have stocks I'm not sure, but here's hoping.

Cheers

Edit 2:25 pm. Corrected 5 to 4 locations.

Sorry forgot to reply to this one. Thanks very much, I ended up contacting one of the stockists and they have ordered a case in for me. Hopefully I can pick it up this Thursday!

I would agree that Pintail and Tower 10 are great examples of American beers.

I'll probably get shot for saying this' date=' but I think I prefer Tower 10 to SN Torpedo. [img']bandit[/img]

I will be joining you, lining up against the wall and blindfolded. Sorry, that sounds a bit kinky innocent

Anyway, I prefer Tower 10 to SN Torpedo too.

Hi Porsche-mad-man

I enjoy a challenge' date=' but this is the best I came up with. Go to the Coopers Vintage Ale website, scroll to the bottom of the page and (obviously) select Stockists. Then, in the location area type in Canberra or Outer Mongolia or BackOfWoopWoop. It shows 4 locations around Canberra. Of course, whether they still have stocks I'm not sure, but here's hoping.

Cheers

Edit 2:25 pm. Corrected 5 to 4 locations.

Sorry forgot to reply to this one. Thanks very much, I ended up contacting one of the stockists and they have ordered a case in for me. Hopefully I can pick it up this Thursday!

You won't be disappointed I don't think. This year's release is my favourite since 2011.

I actually really like drinking Vintage fresh the best. Obviously when its aged its great too. In particular the 2012 that I didn't care for when it was released is now tasting fantastic.

But fresh is pretty bloody good. Especially when its a good year, like this year.

You won't be disappointed I don't think. This year's release is my favourite since 2011.

I actually really like drinking Vintage fresh the best. Obviously when its aged its great too. In particular the 2012 that I didn't care for when it was released is now tasting fantastic.

But fresh is pretty bloody good. Especially when its a good year' date=' like this year.[/quote']

Well my order's not coming in until Tuesdaycrying ... so seeing as it's pay day I bought myself a $5 teaser stubby as a sampler. Actually Dan Murphy's had a case sitting there which I was tempted to grab, but I like to support the smaller guys.

Anyway you're not wrong, it's a sensational beer! Quite different to last year's, drinking absolutely beatifully now and will keep for quite a while I'd say.

Edit: Incidentally I tried a Karl Strauss pale ale and IPA as well. Both were very tasty, the pale ale more likeable up front but the IPA ultimately the more enjoyable by the end. I'm somewhat patriotically proud to say that the Coopers Vintage beat them both in my books though!

Tonight's "friday night 6".

Feral Hop Hog PA.

LC IPA

Bierhous IPA

JS IPA

Bridgeport IPA

Sierra Nevada Torpedo extra IPA

How did you go with your IPA extravaganza? From experience the James Squires IPA would have been a bit out of its depth in that company.

Loved the hop hog. Awesome beer.

The Bierhous IPA was rat shit. Rough bitterness and waaaay to gassy. All head no beer. Never again. It ruined my palate for the rest of the tasting.

I will have to try the SN and Bridgeport again. In hindsight a session of IPAs was a bad idea. The bitterness lingures and you can't properly assess the beers later in the tasting. I stopped at 5 and had the JS the next day. It's designed for the mass market and is easy to drink with the bitterness subdued compared to the others.

Next time just 1 IPA at the end.

Only quoting my previous post to follow up on the Bierhous beer. I ordered the Red Truck Porter at a cafe last week. It was very gassy. Had to wait quite while before pouring the glass. The beer itself wasn't too bad. Was busy eating, which allowed the bubbles to subside.

Oh, the IPA has a misprint on the label. It says "India Pale Al"..... I wonder if Al knows he is pale?

Hi Mattrox.

Oh' date=' the IPA has a misprint on the label. It says "India Pale Al"..... I wonder if Al knows he is pale?[/quote']

In actual fact it's not a misprint, & "Al" does know he's pale! biggrin

It's a deliberate naming. The "Al" is short for "Alistair". Alistair Turnbull being the proprietor & owner of the Lobethal Bierhaus. He & his business partner at the time of starting the brewery/restaurant decided to each have a beer named after themselves (well sort of). You'll also notice that the Pilsner is spelled, "Philsner" on the label. That beer is named after his (now former) business partner Phil Jones. Don't worry, they're still very good friends.

I have met & spoken with Alistair & his partner Rose (that run the business now) many times, & they are both hard working & lovely people. They still deliver their beers in person to the retail outlets they supply in SA. I reckon that's pretty cool, & I support their products as often as I can in my limited capacity as a bottleshop worker.

Cheers,

Anthony.

There's a thread on another forum about the poor QC of Aussie craft breweries. Let's hope there's little truth to it. unsure

I haven't read the thread but have experienced it recently. A few weeks ago I had some guests staying over and bought a few beers. Included was a four pack of Murray's Punch & Judy.

All four beers were gushers with glasses full of foam and no beer. I experienced this with other Murray's beers a few years ago but thought they had sorted it out.

Anyway' date=' I emailed to let them know and also gave them the batch number to help them work out the source of the problem. I didn't even receive an acknowledgement in response.

Murray's beers are good but they need to work on their (or their contractors) bottling process. You have to give the big breweries credit for their consistency and quality control of their products (excluding the taste [img']biggrin[/img]).

Wahhhhh

BtIZcovCIAASwGF.jpg

There's a thread on another forum about the poor QC of Aussie craft breweries. Let's hope there's little truth to it. unsure

I haven't read the thread but have experienced it recently. A few weeks ago I had some guests staying over and bought a few beers. Included was a four pack of Murray's Punch & Judy.

All four beers were gushers with glasses full of foam and no beer. I experienced this with other Murray's beers a few years ago but thought they had sorted it out.

Anyway' date=' I emailed to let them know and also gave them the batch number to help them work out the source of the problem. I didn't even receive an acknowledgement in response.

Murray's beers are good but they need to work on their (or their contractors) bottling process. You have to give the big breweries credit for their consistency and quality control of their products (excluding the taste [img']biggrin[/img]).

I should have updated this one.

Shawn Sherlock, Murray's head brewer, contacted me and replaced the beer. All was good in the end wink

I agree with both comments. The free IPA glass that came in the pack was good too wink

Yep I caved in and bought another pack last week to have a pair of the glasses and try the beer again. Very nice! Then I had the idea of soaking the labels off the bottles and reusing them for my next batch. I don't know what glue they use but it is pretty serious! After soaking for a week it took me about an hour of scraping and scrubbing to get through the 3 bottles. Has anyone else tried this with these bottles? In contrast a couple of other Karl Strauss bottles took only a minute or so each.

Well Karl (Strauss) & I agreed we really need to be spending more time with each other, so I am enjoying another 6 pack of the Pale Ale. I also picked up a 500ml bottle of Endeavour Brewing's Seasonal Series Summer Ale.

I was doing some online research on beers the other day looking for some inspiration, & was looking through the results from the World Beer Cup over the last few years, & came across this Aussie based brewery (Endeavour Brewing). They had won a silver medal in a class of beer I like, so decided to check them out a little further. They look to be a very progressive Aussie craft beer brewery. I'm looking forward to sampling their Summer Ale as I've not used the 'Summer' hop before, nor have I (knowingly) tasted a beer that uses the hop, so it should be interesting. cool

Porschemad: Are you soaking the bottles in HOT soapy water? If that combo using common dish washing detergent isn't making them easy to remove after 10-15 mins soaking, then they must be using super glue to adhere them!

Anyways gotta go, Karl is calling me... biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony

The Endeavour guys make some nice beers. The Summer Ale you mentioned is a nice drop but I wouldn't call it memorable.

But their Pale Ale and Amber Ale are very tasty love

I'll vouch for the Endeavour, I can't remember if it was lager or ale, but they do a nice vintage brew which is quite good; with a nice combination of malt and hops; not overpowering, but well balanced with the hops nicely countering the sweetness of the malt.

The Endeavour guys make some nice beers. The Summer Ale you mentioned is a nice drop but I wouldn't call it memorable.

But their Pale Ale and Amber Ale are very tasty love

I'll vouch for the Endeavour' date=' I can't remember if it was lager or ale, but they do a nice vintage brew which is quite good; with a nice combination of malt and hops; not overpowering, but well balanced with the hops nicely countering the sweetness of the malt.[/quote']

+1 to both Hairy's & Beeblebrox's comments on this beer.

Sometime after my earlier post, I tried it. It's very well balanced, & I found it a very pleasant beer to drink. What I think the Brit's term as a 'Summer Ale', this fits into that category very nicely. I was actually on the hunt for their Pale Ale, but this was the only Endeavour beer that the bottleshop had so I decided to give it a whirl. On a nice hot day, at 4.5%ABV, I reckon this beer would make a nice session beer. cool

I liked the 'Summer' hop too. I'm going to have to brew something up with this hop, & pound some late additions of it to see what it can REALLY do! Hehe! wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Matilda Bay Minimum Chips - Stunningly easy drinking "golden lager". So summery you can almost taste the vinegar and the seagull shit.

Coopers Artisan Reserve - brilliant crisp and clean pilsner. A top, very refreshing and easy drinking drop. Typical Coopers subdued hop flavour and clean end. Lovely.

Coopers ESVA 2014 - strong, big caramel taste. Again subdued hop flavour but nice still, easy drinking but packs a punch, good bitterness and very smooth.

Moa St Josephs Tripel - big bold belgian. 9.5% and a lovely warming alcohol. Good stuff and bedtime after that.

Dan's was having a 'Buy 10 get 25% off' deal (usually only get 10 or 15% off from memory), so I grabbed two of each of the following last week:

• Karl Strauss Pintail Pale Ale (alas the Tower 10 was all gone)
  • Ballast Point Big Eye IPA
  • Karl Strauss Red Trolley Ale
  • Feral Hop Hog IPA
  • Sierra Nevada Kellerweis

The first round of 5 are gone - my thoughts? Well, I didn't manage to get any of the Kellerweis but the lucky lady who did loved it. Pintail's not bad, but I probably won't buy again after the second one. The Red Trolley ale is not my cup of tea at all. Hop Hog as tasty as ever, hops are very distinctive and not what I was expecting from memory, but delicious! Big Eye is a hefty beer but pretty sensational - a bit too much thick sweetness behind the hops though.

Have to say I still like Coopers 2014 ESVA better than all of 'em ... the 2013 as well ... the balance between malt, hops and alcohol is better. I find with a lot of the bigger IPAs I've tried recently, yes there's a hop explosion but underneath there's too much thick, syrupy sweetness.

G'day Brewers, needed some Coopers commercial yeast for an up coming TC Sparkling Ale i'll put on soon. biggrin

I grabbed 3 tallies of Coopers Pale Ale, it's very pale, but not to bad a drop. also tried a Roger's, mid strength unoffensive, but nothing to rave about, also got a couple of bottles of Coopers stout, very nice drop indeed, like it a lot, don't drink them too cold and enjoy the flavour, but you knew that....wink

Cheers.

G'day Magnaman

I hope you didn't take offence with my "indiscretion" about your forum name the other day! pouty I'm probably the only person here that hasn't ever tried the Coopers Pale Ale and will have to remedy that. Being away from home, I'm on my 8th carton of sparkling ale though which has been my mainstay in trying to stay somewhat sane - though how successful it's been I'll let others judge.

I've also developed a taste for the six packs of Celebration Ale, Artisans Reserve, the 62 and Best Extra Stout. The other night I whipped up a Guiness Beef Irish Stew (well, actually it was a Coopers Best Extra Beef) and the flavours came through beautifully even if I do say so myself. Everyone here wants me to do it again now.

And, at last I got to Dr Dan's last week to get some scotch for the folks, and picked up two Timothy Taylor's Landlord. The bottle I opened was very very moreish and I'm hoping my clone will go pretty close, touch wood. I stupidly offered my elder brother the other bottle (seeing he rarely drinks anything, let alone beer), and the bugger had the hide to say "thanks. I saw it in the fridge and I'd like to try it". Then proceeded to drink the whole bottle! I must have done something really wrong in my life and now I'm being punished!

So, don't cry for me, I've got tinea, and a full carton of sparkling ale.

Cheers

G'day Magnaman

I hope you didn't take offence with my "indiscretion" about your forum name the other day! pouty

I try to never take offence' date=' I have a sense of humour.[/color'] happy

I'm probably the only person here that hasn't ever tried the Coopers Pale Ale and will have to remedy that. Being away from home, I'm on my 8th carton of sparkling ale though which has been my mainstay in trying to stay somewhat sane - though how successful it's been I'll let others judge.

If you have been drinking lots of Sparkling, Pale will be a little under whelming. IMHO wink

Cheers

I have been trying to be as critical of any commercial (craft) beer I drink as I'am of what I brew myself, not that I drink that much, it is too expensive for my pocket. wink

Cheers.

If you have been drinking lots of Sparkling' date=' Pale will be a little under whelming. IMHO.[/quote']

I agree with this.

Phil, buy yourself one pale ale to try and then a case of sparkling to drink wink