Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

On 2/7/2019 at 11:17 PM, porschemad911 said:

These will keep me busy for a few Fridays! 

DSC_0104.JPG

An early bday present from my very generous wife!

Cheers, 

John 

Well I've finished the Red IPAs, and am saving the porters for Autumn. 

The Prancing Pony was clearly outclassed in this company I must say. The other 3 were all quite a bit better.

I think the BentSpoke was the best, followed closely by the Capital Brewing, then followed closely by the CVBC. All 3 were very tasty and well made beers though, just slightly different. 

Although, I kind of preferred my saisons for some reason? Maybe the weather? Or maybe I'm just on a bit of a yeast-driven kick and these were all purely about the malt and hops? I'm looking forward to trying the porters though! 

Now that my Wyeast 3726 repitching run had come to an end I'm trying to think of what I'll brew next. It will be mid-March before I can brew anything, so maybe a Dunkelweizen might be good, or a Belgian Dubbel, or an Old Ale. Have to see what yeast my LHBS has in stock at the time I guess.

Cheers, 

John 

34 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi John

I bought one of the Bridge Road Robust Porters about a month ago.  It lasted three days.  Not sure how you can postpone it for so long.

Cheers Shamus

I’ve got a belief that most breweries release beers at the time of ready to drink. If the brewery is not releasing when it’s time to drink then realistically they are not up to scratch.

its the beees like RIS that will hold up to aging that is ok to do so but as a rule of thumb, bought beers shouldn’t be aged.

8 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I’ve got a belief that most breweries release beers at the time of ready to drink. If the brewery is not releasing when it’s time to drink then realistically they are not up to scratch.

its the beees like RIS that will hold up to aging that is ok to do so but as a rule of thumb, bought beers shouldn’t be aged.

Sure, they're ready to drink, but I'm not ready to drink them! They'll hold up ok... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi John

I bought one of the Bridge Road Robust Porters about a month ago.  It lasted three days.  Not sure how you can postpone it for so long.

Cheers Shamus

Haha, I've got so much beer in the cupboard! 4 different Saisons, IPA, American Brown... Then all the mead... Then all the wine... Then all the spirits. 

But yes, I tried it once before and it's a great beer. 

Cheers, 

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Long weekend and mixed 6! so stay tuned for some comments.

First up Dog Days session ale from Little Creatures. This beer was recommended and didn't disappoint. Hoppy with out the heaviness of an IPA. Could easily dink this daily

IMG_20190309_132748.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, supernerdy said:

Long weekend and mixed 6! so stay tuned for some comments.

First up Dog Days session ale from Little Creatures. This beer was recommended and didn't disappoint. Hoppy with out the heaviness of an IPA. Could easily dink this daily

IMG_20190309_132748.jpg

One of my favorites, great drop. 

Got the bond money back this week so because I don't know how much is left in the lager keg I decided to go grab a carton earlier. Dan's had kaiju krush in cartons so I got one of those and a bottle of Beenleigh rum to try. Stuck a 6 pack in the brew fridge for tomorrow (it will be staying cold, kegging a batch then crashing the yeast starter for a day or two), and 12 in the keg fridge taking up the space where the third keg was. Gonna have a few of those later once they chill down. 

4 hours ago, supernerdy said:

#2 a bit different for me but again recommended. Not my beer.. tastes like fizzy sour fanta mixed with beer

IMG_20190309_145917.jpg

Need to change my mind on this.. Was a shock to the taste buds but a lot easier to drink after a bit. Would buy this again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Not a sixer but good to sample em all again. Some great flavors some average but worth the $12 for the sampler.

20190309_174646.jpg

20190309_174020.jpg

im not going to bag little creatures this time, but lived about a k down the road for a while and only visited a couple of times.  Still yet to try a beer I like from them. Would much rather go to the monk. OK, only bagged a little.

Just now, The Captain!! said:

im not going to bag little creatures this time, but lived about a k down the road for a while and only visited a couple of times.  Still yet to try a beer I like from them. Would much rather go to the monk. OK, only bagged a little.

We visited the Geelong brewery last year and thought the facility was fantastic. I wasn't previously impressed with their beers in bottles but found the seasonal IPA and White Rabbit Dark Ale really good fresh on tap. The Pale Ale is not bad at $60 a box on special. 

1 minute ago, Hilltop hops said:

We visited the Geelong brewery last year and thought the facility was fantastic. I wasn't previously impressed with their beers in bottles but found the seasonal IPA and White Rabbit Dark Ale really good fresh on tap. The Pale Ale is not bad at $60 a box on special. 

Well I'm glad you had a positive experience with them.

Im actually not sure what I don't like about their beers. Apart from I just don't think there that special.

I tried their Furphy beer a few years ago, thinking oh yeah, ill give them another chance. Then Furphy hit the tongue. needless to say I went back to 150 lashes.

4 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Yeah walked past the monk today was tempted to go in but was just happy to have access to beers again. I wasn't fussy I was drinking everything from fireball shots to mimosas. Happy to have a detox coming up again haha 

I really enjoy the pub across from the markets, The Sail and Anchor. Always got some new stuff on and their flagships are good too.

Edited by The Captain!!