Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

I was going to expand my setup from the current 2 taps to 4 but I don’t drink a heap and I’m not a big fan of a lot of the styles so at this point in time I’ll just keep 2. 

1 tap for a lager and the other for a pale ale or IPA

I only have two taps going as well, the third one is almost permanently on soda water duty. Sometimes I put a beer on it for a party or something. The other two rotate between whatever is ready. Generally the two rotate between APA, red ale, pilsner/lager, ESB and brown ale through the cooler weather. Stouts and porters also take up the soda water tap when I have those going in winter.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 6:55 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I only have two taps going as well, the third one is almost permanently on soda water duty. Sometimes I put a beer on it for a party or something. The other two rotate between whatever is ready. Generally the two rotate between APA, red ale, pilsner/lager, ESB and brown ale through the cooler weather. Stouts and porters also take up the soda water tap when I have those going in winter.

When I do eventually get a keg set up I will still bottle stouts and saison’s as I don’t drink enough stouts for it to hold up a tap and saisons I prefer bottle conditioned. 

Yeah that's why I only brew one or two stouts or porters a year. I like them in winter in the evening so once they are on tap they don't take it up for ages. But I don't have them going in the warmer months. I'm going to pick up a fermenter today to put that big stout into, then keg it away til next winter. Might need a towel under it to take the mess it will likely make ?

1 hour ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

When I do eventually get a keg set up I will still bottle stouts and saison’s as I don’t drink enough stouts for it to hold up a tap and saisons I prefer bottle conditioned. 

Exactly what i do mate. Even though i have 4 kegs i still bottle stouts, saisons and all the belgian beers i make. Kegged a saison once and force carbed it. Was ok but the secondary fermentation makes a world of difference. Have done another with secondary fermentation in the keg. That one was really good but the serving temp was set at 3c with the other keg and saisons really need to be 6-10c in my opinion to bring out the best flavours. So no more saisons in the kegs.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 7:20 PM, Silmaril said:

Visited Dan's today while in the big smoke, and they have an impressive collection!

I picked up some WA Gage Roads Little Dove, and 4 each of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Torpedo Extra IPA ?

20181005_172332.jpg

Some of the can and bottle labels aren’t straight. That bothers me......

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

How do you handle the serving temp differences?

Not sure about you but for me I like the stout around 10c. But if i have a pilsener keg in there as well I want it cold like 3c.

It doesn't bother me really. I usually take an hour to drink one anyway so it warms up in the glass and I get a bit of difference in flavor through the glass. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Is this also for secondary fermentation? I only ask as I would have thought keg would be best for these beers

Belgian blonds or pale ales yeah. Dont have a problem kegging them. Trappist type beers which i mostly do really need 6 months or so to really take the edge off the alcohol. Secondary fermentation also helps them too.

• Like 1

FridayNight-6PK-10-18.jpg

After drinking the two beers on the left on Friday, I am just finishing up the last final 4 of the beers to the right of those as I type this.

The Mountain Goat IPA was enjoyable. Lovely colour, & I liked the piney Simcoe influence. It also uses Mosaic & Idaho 7 hops. The Mosaic I picked up on lightly, but for all the rave about Idaho 7 & it's diverse flavours & aromas, I couldn't pick it in there at all. Maybe they used it sparingly or I just don't know the hop that well.  The hop flavours were a little muddled, but the aromas were lovely. Great compact head, firm bitterness, perfect carbonation & good glass lacing. Would happily buy again & am happy to see Mountain Goat brewing embracing the current challenges in the craft beer market with a terrifically well balanced beer for the style (IMHO). ?

The Sauce Brewing Co. "Extra Hop Sauce" seemed to just nip the TO-OL on having the most hop forward character of the 6 beers I sampled. This beer is right on that tipping point where the hops begin to overshadow the malt character of the beer. Some like it, some don't. I find some days I want a bit more balance between hop & malt character, & other days I just love being hop punched in the face. I enjoyed the beer. They also have an interesting marketing angle. Their "Piss Weak Sauce" named 3.5% ABV session IPA cracked me up. They are worth checking out. https://sauce.beer/our-beers/ I'll be looking to sample a few more of their beers for sure.

The two Balter beers were both nice beers. Surprisingly though the Strong Pale Ale (5.9% ABV) was more bitter on the palate than the IPA (6.8% ABV). For that they both get a "X" on one part of the beer. Nice aromatics on both, nice malt character, good carbonation, but lacked a little bit on head retention & lacing for beers of this ABV (IMHO). Still both enjoyable beers.

Of the 6 beers the most memorable was the Danish TO-OL "3 x Citra" beer. For a session level beer I thought it was terrific. After that the Extra Hop Sauce & Mountain Goat IPA slide in a close second with the HOBO APA definitely punching above it's weight at 4.2% ABV. I would take all 4 of those beers above the Balter beers in this lineup mainly due to a combination of price tags & outward qualities. That surprised me by the end of it.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

FridayNight-6PK-10-18.jpg

After drinking the two beers on the left on Friday, I am just finishing up the last final 4 of the beers to the right of those as I type this.

The Mountain Goat IPA was enjoyable. Lovely colour, & I liked the piney Simcoe influence. It also uses Mosaic & Idaho 7 hops. The Mosaic I picked up on lightly, but for all the rave about Idaho 7 & it's diverse flavours & aromas, I couldn't pick it in there at all. Maybe they used it sparingly or I just don't know the hop that well.  The hop flavours were a little muddled, but the aromas were lovely. Great compact head, firm bitterness, perfect carbonation & good glass lacing. Would happily buy again & am happy to see Mountain Goat brewing embracing the current challenges in the craft beer market with a terrifically well balanced beer for the style (IMHO). ?

The Sauce Brewing Co. "Extra Hop Sauce" seemed to just nip the TO-OL on having the most hop forward character of the 6 beers I sampled. This beer is right on that tipping point where the hops begin to overshadow the malt character of the beer. Some like it, some don't. I find some days I want a bit more balance between hop & malt character, & other days I just love being hop punched in the face. I enjoyed the beer. They also have an interesting marketing angle. Their "Piss Weak Sauce" named 3.5% ABV session IPA cracked me up. They are worth checking out. https://sauce.beer/our-beers/ I'll be looking to sample a few more of their beers for sure.

The two Balter beers were both nice beers. Surprisingly though the Strong Pale Ale (5.9% ABV) was more bitter on the palate than the IPA (6.8% ABV). For that they both get a "X" on one part of the beer. Nice aromatics on both, nice malt character, good carbonation, but lacked a little bit on head retention & lacing for beers of this ABV (IMHO). Still both enjoyable beers.

Of the 6 beers the most memorable was the Danish TO-OL "3 x Citra" beer. For a session level beer I thought it was terrific. After that the Extra Hop Sauce & Mountain Goat IPA slide in a close second with the HOBO APA definitely punching above it's weight at 4.2% ABV. I would take all 4 of those beers above the Balter beers in this lineup mainly due to a combination of price tags & outward qualities. That surprised me by the end of it.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

It’s always good to read your in depth reviews Lusty. 

Keep up the good work!! 

BB

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

It’s always good to read your in depth reviews Lusty. 

Keep up the good work!! 

I have worked in the industry for around 18yrs now. At one point I worked for a liquor chain group that were very focused on our regular reviews of liquor products (wine, spirits, beer etc.).

Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your POV) it's a tap that never turned off from my end! ?

I hope at least some gain some benefit from the sparse reviews I post on commercial beers from time to time.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 12:45 PM, Hilltop hops said:

Todays selection for the grand final. Had a gift voucher for Dan Murphy's so treated myself! 

20180929_105410.jpg

How did you find the Coopers Sessional Ale? I found myself somewhat disappointed. Quite fizzy in a coke kind of way and a bit minerally for my taste, almost a bit like an Alka Seltzer quality. Not very malty. But maybe that's just me having high expectations.

Iove Cooper's session ale. Prefer it to the pale and sparkling but I love them too so I guess I'm spoiled for choice.

That Dans voucher was out to good use. You've pretty much bought my personal favourites there (besides the cider). Pirate life's IPA and IIPA are amazing. Young Henry's make a nice APA as well but can't remember what it's called. 

8 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

Iove Cooper's session ale. Prefer it to the pale and sparkling but I love them too so I guess I'm spoiled for choice.

That Dans voucher was out to good use. You've pretty much bought my personal favourites there (besides the cider). Pirate life's IPA and IIPA are amazing. Young Henry's make a nice APA as well but can't remember what it's called. 

Cider was for the mrs, im very generous! 

6 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Cider was for the mrs, im very generous! 

Reminds me of the XXXX add years ago when the ute collapsed after they put a two bottles of sweet sherry 'for the ladies' on top of a massive load of beer ...... "... Looks like we've over done it with the sherry". Lol

• Haha 2