Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

@Beerlust

I honestly think you got a bad can of the pale. That’s usually a very clear pale. I’ve been drinking that beer since the early 2000’s and I think it has standed the test of time. I have a few a week of that one.

The colonial IPA is good and I’ll stand by your comments on that one. Spot on but I don’t think it’s as nice as the pale as I really do think you got a bad can. (Must have come from the Victorian Brewery, no way would it have come from this neck of the woods) But that’s just to my tastes. 

Nice taste notes Lusty

• Like 1

I had their Silent Knight Porter a couple of weeks ago. It was a nice traditional Porter.

If you make the trip to Sydney, and then make it out to Mona Vale, then I’m sure I could buy you a beer (possibly two).

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I had their Silent Knight Porter a couple of weeks ago. It was a nice traditional Porter.

If you make the trip to Sydney, and then make it out to Mona Vale, then I’m sure I could buy you a beer (possibly two).

I think 2 could turn into 4 (or more) very easily if we ended up at a decent pub with a good selection of craft beers. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

I wouldn’t judge Modus solely on their pale ale. It is a nice drop but probably their worst that I have tried, and it is still good.

You should make the trip to the Brewery Lusty. I will meet you there.

Lusty, you've seriously got to get to Modus one day. It's so worth it even if you have to put up with (non-Pacers fan) Hairy. On a (public transport) bus tour of the north shore breweries with my brother-in-law a year or two back it was a fantastic experience. I guess the Pale Ale was ok, but all the other stuff (a big range of single hop IPAs when I was there) available at the tasting room was so much better. And with Modus, freshness is key. Great food too! Go on a weekday so it's nice and quiet.

Edit: As a testament to their quality control, a friend gave me a 12 month old can of Modus IPA, which surprised me with it's hop flavour and aroma. Also the brewery dog is very friendly.

Cheers,

John

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 1

+1 for Modus, great experience and great food.  A lot of the inner west breweries make great beer, but they have not invested in a food license or that side of the experience.  Modus have done it both sides very well.

That said, the inner west ones are withing bike riding distance for me and they do get food trucks in regularly.  So there is variety, and most are located very close to other restaurants and pubs.

Lusty, sounds like the brewpub experience will be good for you, but the Surry Hills experience will be better at places like Royal Albert, The Taphouse, Keg & Brew, etc.  So much variety on tap at these joints if/when you come up to Sydney town.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, joolbag said:

Lusty, sounds like the brewpub experience will be good for you, but the Surry Hills experience will be better at places like Royal Albert, The Taphouse, Keg & Brew, etc.  So much variety on tap at these joints if/when you come up to Sydney town.

You will have to draw down significantly on the home loan if you want to drink at the Keg & Brew. The last time I was there it was ridiculously expensive, especially when compared to the local competition.

On 8/23/2018 at 8:43 AM, Hairy said:

I'm a Larry Bird fan; is that close enough?

Well he did his best to coach the Pacers to a championship in 2000, so you're alright with me!

Just outgunned and outpowered a little in the end, although of course we were robbed in game 6. Watching the games again, Jalen Rose just got things done. Can't remember what happened to him! 

Phenomenal player though Larry. As a GM? Don't know why he kept persisting with Lance Stephenson. 

Cheers, 

John

57 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

As a GM? Don't know why he kept persisting with Lance Stephenson. 

Lance Stephenson, was picked up in the 2010 NBA Draft (by the Indiana Pacers) @ round 2, pick 40.

His career he has played 440 games, averaged 24.4 mins a game, 8.8 points per game, & 4.3 rebounds per game. In 2016 he played just 6 games for the season for the Indiana Pacers averaging 22.0 mins per game, 7.2 points per game, & 4.0 rebounds per game & was paid 1.227 million for that season alone.

It's a tough life for some. If only I had grown to be 16 centimetres taller. ?

Coincidentally I have "Larry Bird, A Basketball Legend" on video tape. In his prime years when Magic Johnson was also in his prime my mother used to wake me up as a young lad to watch the series between the Celtics & the Lakers each night over a series of nights, quite late on channel 2 over a few years in a row during the Celtics most successful years. Larry Bird's performances in almost all of these finals games was simply captivating & apart from Michael Jordan I have never seen a single player be able to dominate & orchestrate the game against such high quality opposition as often as he did.

Larry was always a better player than he was a coach/manager, but his heart has ALWAYS been in the right place. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

7 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Well he did his best to coach the Pacers to a championship in 2000, so you're alright with me!

Just outgunned and outpowered a little in the end, although of course we were robbed in game 6. Watching the games again, Jalen Rose just got things done. Can't remember what happened to him! 

Phenomenal player though Larry. As a GM? Don't know why he kept persisting with Lance Stephenson. 

Cheers, 

John

Jalen Rose got traded around to several clubs but his best years were as a Pacer. He hosts a few shows on ESPN now.

I got these 3 beers to try from my local Dan Murphy’s. The craft beer section was really small there so I didn’t have much of a choice. 

Unfortunately I won’t be able to give comprehensive ‘Lusty style’ tasting notes. 

My tasting notes are ‘Yum, this is tasty’ or ‘This tastes like crap’

I’m sitting out the back listening to the rain for the first time in a while. I forgot how good the smell of rain is. 

Hopefully this rain goes out to all of our farmers!!

Cheers everyone, BB

AB2C99FC-C253-490A-AF13-00B6CB806C60.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I got these 3 beers to try from my local Dan Murphy’s. The craft beer section was really small there so I didn’t have much of a choice. 

Unfortunately I won’t be able to give comprehensive ‘Lusty style’ tasting notes. 

My tasting notes are ‘Yum, this is tasty’ or ‘This tastes like crap’

I’m sitting out the back listening to the rain for the first time in a while. I forgot how good the smell of rain is. 

Hopefully this rain goes out to all of our farmers!!

Cheers everyone, BB

AB2C99FC-C253-490A-AF13-00B6CB806C60.jpeg

It should be a good night. The Kolsch is pretty inoffensive, nothing special but a good summer beer. I think they ferment low with US-05 ?

The Australian Brewery Pale Ale is OK too. The bittering can be a little rough sometimes but it is nice and hoppy. It is better when it is fresh at the Brewery.

Enjoy!

I picked up a few beers from Dan Murphy today. I love all the Philter beers I have tried, their Lager is one of the best Aussie lagers I have tried for a while. The XPA is the best I have tried in that style and their Red Ale is a cracking sessional beer.

The Bridge Road Wet Rain IPA is a nice drop. A lot maltier than expected.

252B6B4A-C7FC-4FAA-853C-5543704300CE.thumb.jpeg.f97ace702baf5fd5c786e4e0ef7b001e.jpeg

Even though it’s west Aussie originally I really don’t like anything from little creatures. I’ve tried pretty much every thing they have brought out commercially and nothing has made me think it’s a great beer.

I actually lived about a 10 minute walk from the brewery at one stage for about 18 months and went there once or twice. 

Im sorry but I just don’t get it.

I feel like little creatures to me is like magnum is to lusty. 

Captain

23 hours ago, Hairy said:

I picked up a few beers from Dan Murphy today. I love all the Philter beers I have tried, their Lager is one of the best Aussie lagers I have tried for a while. The XPA is the best I have tried in that style and their Red Ale is a cracking sessional beer.

The Bridge Road Wet Rain IPA is a nice drop. A lot maltier than expected.

252B6B4A-C7FC-4FAA-853C-5543704300CE.thumb.jpeg.f97ace702baf5fd5c786e4e0ef7b001e.jpeg

I'd have to agree with the Philter XPA. It's a cracker. Seeing this reminded me I need to have a go at brewing something similar. Anyone got a recipe for this?

20 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Even though it’s west Aussie originally I really don’t like anything from little creatures. I’ve tried pretty much every thing they have brought out commercially and nothing has made me think it’s a great beer.

I actually lived about a 10 minute walk from the brewery at one stage for about 18 months and went there once or twice. 

Im sorry but I just don’t get it.

I feel like little creatures to me is like magnum is to lusty. 

Captain

I still like a Little Creatures Pale Ale. It isn’t as mind blowing as some other pale ales out there but I have a soft spot for it and it is still a well made beer.

Some of their single batch limited release beers in the pint bottles were awesome.

• Like 1