Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

On 8/5/2018 at 6:50 PM, The Captain1525230099 said:

Spent the weekend down in the town I was originally born in, Pemberton WA. I’ve never taken the wife there.

It must be a lot like Kalgoorlie then? ?

On 8/5/2018 at 6:50 PM, The Captain1525230099 said:

...So spent the weekend skipping through the gastronomy of the Pemberton wine region. 

Stopped at the local brewery for lunch and had a few of these. 

Then bought a 6er to bring home.

Great IPA.

A handful of the last few commercial IPA's I've bought were from WA. All were very good (IMHO). Some nice beers coming from your neck of the woods these days. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Beerlust said:

It must be a lot like Kalgoorlie then? ?

A handful of the last few commercial IPA's I've bought were from WA. All were very good (IMHO). Some nice beers coming from your neck of the woods these days. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Kalgoorlie Ha ha ha ha. They have mining and whores, we have trees, marron and wine ha ha 

Where the commercial ones Cheeky monkey? And Bootleg?

2 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Kalgoorlie Ha ha ha ha. They have mining and whores, we have trees, marron and wine ha ha 

Ahh I see. A place you'd like to take her to but just haven't gotten around to it, as opposed to a place you'd like to avoid. Gotchya. ?

3 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

...Where the commercial ones Cheeky monkey? And Bootleg?

I rarely buy the same beer twice when buying expensive craft beers, as I like to try new stuff each time. Of those I can remember, Feral (of course), Nail brewing, & most recently Beerfarm. I'll have to track down the other two you mentioned.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Ahh I see. A place you'd like to take her to but just haven't gotten around to it, as opposed to a place you'd like to avoid. Gotchya. ?

I rarely buy the same beer twice when buying expensive craft beers, as I like to try new stuff each time. Of those I can remember, Feral (of course), Nail brewing, & most recently Beerfarm. I'll have to track down the other two you mentioned.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Nice one Lusty,

I was hoping the Beerfarm was going to get over there but didn’t think it would of yet. 

I frequent the brewery fairly often as their specialty beers are fantastic, they have a native series which changes all the time, and often have Saison on tap. 

The beerfarm IPL is the best lager I have ever tasted which is posted on this thread somewhere. 

Cheeky monkey have some good beers, their West coast IPA is a notable one and some of their specialty beers are ver very good. 

Next one to look out from here is Rocky Ridge Brewery. If you can get your hands on anything if there’s will not disappoint.

Captain 

Got some Newstead Three Quarter Time session ale for this week (next weekend I'll have beer on tap again). I've had this one a few times out at pubs and for a 3.4% beer it certainly has a decent flavor to it. Got some 4 Pines pale ale to finish off first but got some of the Newstead in the brew fridge chilling down with the lager. 

Cheers

Kelsey

I bought a few beers on the weekend:

Ballast Point - Aloha Sculpin
Ballast Point - Grapefruit Sculpin
Bentspoke - Sprocket IPA

I have always liked the Sculpin and its various iterations but the Sprocket was just so much fresher. I guess the trip from Canberra is much shorter than from the US. If you want a fresh, hoppy beer then buy local.

33 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I have always liked the Sculpin and its various iterations but the Sprocket was just so much fresher. I guess the trip from Canberra is much shorter than from the US. If you want a fresh, hoppy beer then buy local. 

Got that right Hairy! Although you should be buying even more local than something from Canberra. What did you think of the Sprocket? I don't mind it, but can't wait until the Cluster 8 makes its way into cans.

6 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

Got that right Hairy! Although you should be buying even more local than something from Canberra. What did you think of the Sprocket? I don't mind it, but can't wait until the Cluster 8 makes its way into cans.

Given the state of Sydney roads at present, a trip from Canberra would be quicker than a trip from Marrickvile.

I really liked the Sprocket. It still had a firm bitterness behind the fruity hops. I know NEIPAs are the new trend but I find their lack of bitterness a little underwhelming. I have had some that were a little more bitter than the norm and I enjoyed these more.

I don't hate NEIPAs but I guess I should hand in my hipster card for even questioning them. (Note: I can't grow a man bun so I need to carry a card to confirm my hipster status).

I enjoyed the sprocket IPA the other day too.  It was pretty fresh too, I checked the date on the can and from memory it was about 2 months olf.

I think it is the best of the Bentspoke beers that I have tried.

Some great stuff coming out of the local Sydney breweries at the moment.  What a time to be alive!  Sauce is smashing it, lots of limited releases as well as their standard offerings.  I really like Batch as well as they experiment a lot as well and readily available in the 640mL glass longnecks in good bottleshops across Sydney.  My perennial favourite Modus Operandi puts a lot of stuff in cans too.  Pity that Mona Vale is pretty far from where I live!

Sounds similar although I don't get biscuit in mine, and the caramel is more than light, it's kind of a cross between caramel, toffee and raisin flavors from the largish addition of Caraaroma. It's possible they were sneaking around the forum and found the recipe (I don't use this handle on the other forums). ?

I have a very good independent liquor retailer not too far from where I live & called in there on my way back from the LHBS. They have an excellent range of craft beers that is ever-changing, so a visit every once in a while usually presents a good range of new beers to buy & try. ☺️

FridayNight-6PK-8-18.jpg

Colonial Brewing Co. Pale Ale: Nice malt character & flavour, but had a shite load of "floaties" in it. Haziness doesn't bother me at all, but floaties & lots of them does. Ruined what was an otherwise very tasty beer. Maybe they have to look into their filtering processes or I just got one canned at the end of a batch.

Clare Valley Brewing Pale Ale: Lighter malted beer & overly bitter (IMHO) for the ABV% of the beer. Not offensive at all if you judge it against a session IPA. Fairly decent aromatics.

Montana Brewing Co. Pale Ale: I had this one straight after the Clare Valley Pale Ale. Very different beer to the last sampled. More crystal influence & malt driven. Nice hop influences without going over the top. Much better balanced (IMHO). For $2.00 I paid out of a price bin that the brewery itself had apparently instigated to get people to try the beer, I'd happily buy a case of this stuff for $48.00.

Mismatch Brewing Co. Pale Ale: I love their XPA, it's a terrific beer. This beer has all the right things happening to my palate when I drank it for the ABV% it sits at.  For those that love Pirate Life beers, these guys are in the leading pack coming out of SA for quality craft beer (IMHO). Keep your eye out for their beers when you're out craft beer surfing.

Modus Operandi Pale Ale: I've been hearing & reading good things about this brewery & it's beers. This beer is very well made, but lacked a little polish aromatically & a little on the malt-side for mind given the hype around it. Still a very enjoyable beer to drink, but I've had better at this ABV% given the hype. Would I buy it again though,...yes.

Colonial Brewing Co. IPA: Presented much better than the Pale Ale did, being nice & clear with near perfect carbonation. Nice malt & hop balance for an IPA with a sneaky late bitterness that I like. Nice flavours & aromatics without being over the top. At 6.5% ABV it's a nice beer without being a standout given fuller flavoured & higher ABV% IPA's available.

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t judge Modus solely on their pale ale. It is a nice drop but probably their worst that I have tried, and it is still good.

You should make the trip to the Brewery Lusty. I will meet you there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I wouldn’t judge Modus solely on their pale ale. It is a nice drop but probably their worst that I have tried, and it is still good.

I don't. It's the only beer of theirs I've tried thus far & the brewery has a lot of hype atm so I almost expect perfection on the back of that even though it's a little unfair to mark them against that. It was still a very lovely beer to drink. Their darks sound particularly good but although I drink darks, they're not my real passion with beer.

6 minutes ago, Hairy said:

...You should make the trip to the Brewery Lusty. I will meet you there.

If you're shouting Terry, just name the time & day. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.