Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

I bought all 6 of those Aldi beers to try. I have had two today. The first was Marstons Pedigree Amber Ale. Not bad by all means, reminded me of the boring English Mild i made. The second one though was actually suprising. Circadian by Ringwood Brewery. Nice hop aroma and flavour

20180607_110939.jpg

• Like 1

Dammit I missed that one! I just opened the Wychwood Blonde. Pale, very english in taste (hops and yeast). It's easy enough to drink, quite nice. Not bad for $3.99 for 500mL plus I'll reuse the bottle for my HB. Fresh(ish) too, looks like it was bottled in March

22 hours ago, joolbag said:

Not expecting miracles

Give them a go. They are good. I had a crack at them last year. Seems to be a bigger selection this year. 

I have enjoyed the Circadian session IPA and Medusa so far. 

Cheers

Dave 

I had the Medusa tonight. It was full of character. Raisin fruit flavours, hint of chocolate. I liked it quite a bit. The blondie was very easy drinking too. Good job Aldi!

I did by a four pack of the Extra Smooth in 440mL cans. It has a widget inside and is carbonated by nitrogen. Really fine head, cascade of bubbles when pouring into the glass. Kids thought it was the coolest thing ever watching it settle. Flavour a bit lacking on that one, the nitrogen makes it a bit of a novelty.

On 6/6/2018 at 7:45 PM, Koo wee brew said:

Hey,

ALDI has a selection of English beers on special from today ?

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks to the cheese and kisses for picking me up some today ?

A mate told me about these beers.  Tried my first one tonight. “Goliath” from the Wychwood Brewery. “Ruby bitter with pale and crystal malts and a hefty whack of Fuggles and Goldings hops. Definitely good!

Such as shame. And like most of Aldi stuff, it may not be 100% the best (although sometimes they are), their wines and beers often come with less than half the price tag of the top of the line. For instance their North of Nowhere Pale Ale from NZ is not to bad; hopped with Pacifica, Green Bullet, and Dr. Rudi.  Not every critics favourite but at 17.99 a twelve pack it certainly is the right price. BTW the 500ml bottles of pommy beers are selling at $3.99 per bottle and their Boddingtons, John Smith's and Tettley 440ml cans are going for $9.99 per four pack.

I'd buy it there when I have no home brew if they were allowed to sell it here. But anyway, gotta put up with bottle shop prices for now.

I found a carton of that new Hop Thief today and picked it up, partly because I have a feeling the brown ale keg will blow dry at some point this weekend and partly because I've been wanting to try it out after the crappy HT8. I will put a couple of six packs in the brew fridge now so they're ready when I get home again at some time after 8pm tonight.

Cheers

Kelsey

I drank the Marstons Pedigree and Wychwood Imperial Red while sweeping and mopping the house this evening. I really enjoyed both for different reasons, with the Marstons being an especially well balanced beer. Unfortunately I then had the idea to crack one of my Aramis pils and from the first mouthful the amount of flavour was just a revelation in comparison to the previous 2 beers. I honestly don't know why I keep buying beer to sample sometimes. I did enjoy them though, so I'm OK with it this time. 

• Thanks 1

Got all 6 of half a litre British beers from Aldi today at $3.99 a bottle, tasted 2 of them so far, not bad at all. I don't think they are bottled for Aldi exclusively but rather bought as one off special.

1.  Wychwood Brewery Dr Thristy's No.4 Blonde 4.1 % alc

bang in your face hops aroma, citrusy , fruity,  nicely balanced, doesn't leave you feel cheated for flavour after initial burst of hops, 

nice malt flavour  and great bitter finish.  Good body and mouthfeel for 4.1 % , I'd buy it again for sure.

IMG_2079.thumb.JPG.445be3ca59b695fd17e5a0059e38b9dd.JPG

2.  Wychwood Brewery Imperial Red , Imperious Deep Red Ruby Ale 4.7 %

I'm in two minds about this one because I make it and honestly my amber ale tastes a lot better then this, but not bad off the mill amber or red ale , Not much,if any, fragrant hop aroma , light taste of caramel or toffee , nice strong bittering hop finish which grows as you drink.   cat piss smell in glass after finishing it.  Just OK beer, wouldn't buy it again.

IMG_2083.thumb.JPG.6a08c5bb3f22737adc4e5a540b86b062.JPG

On 6/7/2018 at 8:26 PM, joolbag said:

I did by a four pack of the Extra Smooth in 440mL cans. It has a widget inside and is carbonated by nitrogen. Really fine head, cascade of bubbles when pouring into the glass. Kids thought it was the coolest thing ever watching it settle. Flavour a bit lacking on that one, the nitrogen makes it a bit of a novelty.

I've first seen them little balls in Kilkenny Irish Ale  500 ml cans a few months ago, also from Aldi. I heard something in my can as I was taking it upstairs and thought that my fridge has gone berserk and got my beer frozen :D. As you said, it is great to watch the volcano style chemical reaction as it is poured in the glass without overflowing, but apart from that and micro tiny froth bubbles I don't think it brings anything to beer. After finding out that there is actually something else but ice in the can I had to rip it open to see what it is ?

Got the new Hop theif last night as I have a two YO’s birthday today, this morning in fact. I’m on the BBQ so will be needing a few morning beers to get through. In the big smoke so I didn’t bring any home brewed jewels up with me.

I think it’s quite a nice beer. It’s got enough to it to make you sit up and notice anyway.

Captain

• Like 1

I tried the Ringwood Circadian last night with dinner and then had the Wychwood Goliath while being pinned down by 2 cats demanding pats. I enjoyed both beers, well made and tasty. 

Speaking of half litre bottles, I need to track down another fresh case of Weihenstephaner Weissbier Dunkel. Now that's good stuff! 

Cheers, 

John

• Like 1

On 6/10/2018 at 1:35 PM, porschemad911 said:

I tried the Ringwood Circadian last night with dinner and then had the Wychwood Goliath while being pinned down by 2 cats demanding pats. I enjoyed both beers, well made and tasty. 

Speaking of half litre bottles, I need to track down another fresh case of Weihenstephaner Weissbier Dunkel. Now that's good stuff! 

Cheers, 

John

I found both of these enjoyable too. I also agree with the ZEDT's opinion above about the Imperial Red - very so, so.

• 2 weeks later...

Bridge Road Hop Rain IPA (wet hop beer with Galaxy cones)... Really, really nice, tastes like the most awesome jaffa you can imagine. There's a bit of specialty malt in it that gives some chocolatey goodness, the bitterness is moderate, just enough to give it a good balance. I get a more complex, citrussy hop flavour than I normally do from Galaxy.

Cheers, 

John