Coopers Community

Those new Stubbies - what do YOU think?

William

http://www.cooperspubs.com/images/news/newbottlesaug2003_l.jpg

Coopers released a new bottle shape in August 2003.

Its taller, slimmer, has a curvy figure, a new label layout and the word 'Coopers' embossed around the shoulder.

The coopers press release is at http://www.cooperspubs.com/coopersnews.htm

The bottle has generated a lot of comment amongst Coopers fans. Most of it that I have heard has been negative. To be fair, I have enquired widely, amongst over 20 different people. The majority were male.

I have also asked bottle shop operators, who have had a lot of feedback from customers (one such operator said "40 customers have told me they dont like it").

Typical negative comments include:

- Its too yuppie or try hard.

- trying to look like an expensive premium beer when it doesnt have to - we all know its the best

- the shape is too feminine, softening the strong 'real' image of coopers

- its not as good in a stubby holder

The most common and strongest comment on the bottle shape is that Coopers have followed the yuppy beers from CUB, and people dont want their Coopers to look soft.

Some people have been going to multiple liquor outlets to find the old bottles!

The typical positive comment is:

- the Coopers embossed logo is great

So, what do Club Members think?

William Woolmer

Editor, CoopersPubs.com - a Coopers fan site.

http://www.cooperspubs.com/menu.html[/url]

It looks to me too like they felt pressured to copy the styles of some of the ...inferior breweries. I'm sure I'll grow used to it, but I don't like it either.

I would have thought that Coopers would have been best served applying Farmer's Union iced coffee style marketing strategies, that being don't ever change. Ever.

[edit] Though as always it's what's inside that counts

• 1 month later...

i quite like it (always thought the old bottles were pretty dowdy anyway). And if it attracts new drinkers to the brand, then fantastic!

i agree with a previous comment, that i am glad the bottles are still 375mL. My first reaction when i saw the new bottles was to check the volume.

Cheers,

stuart

• 2 weeks later...

Coming from a drinkers point of view, i dont really care as long as its cold and still tastes the same. Coming from a designers point of view i like the new style with the embossed "Coopers" around the neck, however it is right when they say it doesnt fit well in ur stubby holder. If Coopers are going for a more "Yuppy" style than they should release it with the old pick axe style mouth like the rest of the imported beers, that way i can use the bottles for my home brewing.

On a selling point of view, i work at the Hilton Bottle shop South Rd, and with the change in height of the bottle it has made it difficult to get that extra layer into the coolroom that we used to be able to fit in and also the change in heights of shelving in the display fridges.

I was collecting empty bottles for bottling my home brew... and I noticed that the new shape for the cooper's bottle has taken on characteristics of the hahn premium bottle....

http://www.australianbeers.com/beers/hahn_premium/ad_hahnpremium.jpg

http://www.cooperspubs.com/images/news/newbottlesaug2003_l.jpg

The Cooper's bottle is just a less intense version. Less curviture and not as much imbossing. It definetly looks better than the hahn bottle.

anyways, The new bottle shape does look nice... and it feels fine in my stubby holder. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Wal the new coopers bottle looks much more like the old coopers bottle than it does the hahn bottle :?: What are you trying to say. Even if it does look like the hahn bottle as long as it doesnt taste like the hahn product. I reckon the new bottle is ace. Sexy and sleek, bit like lovely Kylie Minogue :twisted:

• 2 weeks later...

William,

I am totally confused at what the big deal is about the stubbie shape, they still have the same great product inside them, as a few people have pointed out, the size hasn't been compromised, they may be a bit more attractive to the yuppies, so you sell more product, as long as you don't run out who cares! I havn't been a Coopers Club member for long, but I would doubt that too many complained about the fact that the bottles have had screw off caps for some time, ( not like in my youth when half the fun of drinking was the many and varied ways of opening bottles that we employed!)

Ross Magnay

• 3 weeks later...

I dont like the bottle shape as much as the oldy.. The embossed logo is great, but I've got big hands, and the old bottle fit nicely. Now I look like a bloody twinings tea drinker! (well, not quite). :lol:

I think a volume upgrade to 400ml would've been an interesting move, but would produce all sorts of issues with production, transport, Std. drink measurements etc. Its a move that would've gone in favour of coopers being the best, though. "What's better than the old coopers bottle? An old coopers bottle that holds more beer!".

IMO I dont think there really is any need to spend umpteen thousand (or 100 thou) dollars on designing a new flashy bottle. Fair enough for the Coopers logo, but for a sexy coke-bottle aka hahn type look? gimme a break! Its just a beer, a good tasting one at that and I love it, so why follow the crowd and try to portray it as some type of womanly figure or whatever they were getting at when people started using these types of bottles -- the flavour speaks :twisted: !

Maybe I'm one of those 0.1% marketing niche reject types and should just pull my head in! :lol: .

Oh well, the money's been spent on it, we should just get used to them. Maybe the size upgrade will come next.. :wink:

I think a volume upgrade to 400ml would've been an interesting move' date=' but would produce all sorts of issues with production, transport, Std. drink measurements etc. Its a move that would've gone in favour of coopers being the best, though. "What's better than the old coopers bottle? An old coopers bottle that holds more beer!".[/quote']

I reckon if they did that you'd get all sorts of do-gooders decrying Coopers for promoting irresponsible drinking.

Archived