Coopers Community

Shipwreck's 'oldest beer' to be brewed again

AussieJosh

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sounds interesting. I love all this stuff the last few years about ancient ales & such. Like the ones Dog Fish Head brewery is bringing back. They were approached by a micro archeologist that had samples from tombs of King Midas in Turkey of 2,700BCE,Pharaoh Tei in Egypt of some 5,000 years ago,& a 9,000 year old burial in Northern China. They even captured wild yeast in Egypt,& got some of the type of barley still grown there today. I'd love to try some of them,like Midas' touch. They even reproduced one from central America that was brewed from Choclatle,hot peppers,spices,& stuff. it was drunk at celebrations,& special events. Could this be "the drink of the gods" mentioned by Montezuma himself? He supposedly drank it by the "pot full"-ancient "growler"? Look at Dog Fish Head's web site for more info. Sounds like fun if/when I can find it here.

• 8 years later...
On 5/7/2011 at 3:37 PM, LeonardC2 said:

Sounds interesting. I love all this stuff the last few years about ancient ales & such. Like the ones Dog Fish Head brewery is bringing back. They were approached by a micro archeologist that had samples from tombs of King Midas in Turkey of 2,700BCE,Pharaoh Tei in Egypt of some 5,000 years ago,& a 9,000 year old burial in Northern China. They even captured wild yeast in Egypt,& got some of the type of barley still grown there today. I'd love to try some of them,like Midas' touch. They even reproduced one from central America that was brewed from Choclatle,hot peppers,spices,& stuff. it was drunk at celebrations,& special events. Could this be "the drink of the gods" mentioned by Montezuma himself? He supposedly drank it by the "pot full"-ancient "growler"? Look at Dog Fish Head's web site for more info. Sounds like fun if/when I can find it here.

the Midas touch recipe in Sam Calagione's "Extreme Brewing" book is on my to do list. Finding the "Belgian candi sugar" and "white muscat grape juice concentrate" will be the hardest part i think

Candi sugar will be easy, it’s everywhere. Just try your LHBS.

White Muscat grape juice may be harder, there is certain brands of grape juice available from LHBS’s that are for wine kits, might just need to find a port/muscat/fortified kit. Or go see your local winery, depending on where you are