Coopers Community

Pilsner

Hi there from the uk been following this forum few years but watched nerver posted . 

I loved reeding otto pilsner thred and fancy having a go at his famous pilsner my self . 

Is there a updated one yet otto or is the v4 the one still . That thred aint been updated in few years and cant find nothing new . 

Got all the grains and wyeast 2278  starter fired up waiting for brew day sunday . 

Also we in uk have only just got the apollo fementer in stores this week after years waiting  . Is presure fementing pilsners warm worth it , got some budweiser 2007 wyeast in fridge mite need try it . 

Thanks 

@Otto Von Blotto I think this bloke may be talking about you. 

Welcome ninja 🥷. I also read this site for a while before joining but struggle searching for things from a while ago. 

I'm not sure on a yeast from 2007 you would have to ask people who build starters, sounds a bit dodgy.

I'm sure people who do pressure ferment and build starters will help you out or to find old threads. 

I think Otto brews the old fashioned way low and slow, as do I myself.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Otto Von Blotto I think this bloke may be talking about you. 

Welcome ninja 🥷. I also read this site for a while before joining but struggle searching for things from a while ago. 

I'm not sure on a yeast from 2007 you would have to ask people who build starters, sounds a bit dodgy.

I'm sure people who do pressure ferment and build starters will help you out or to find old threads. 

I think Otto brews the old fashioned way low and slow, as do I myself.

Wyeast 2007 is the strain of yeast.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

Wyeast 2007 is the strain of yeast.

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

2007 is the yeast "code" not the year lol. 

It's pretty much the same recipe, I just adjust the amount of the hops if I need to. There is probably a more recent version in one of the brew day threads though 

Ill get back in my box then, I could count the different yeasts I have used with both hands. Maby only 7 or 8 fingers worth. 

Assuming one of the expensive liquid ones? I'll need to try these at some stage.

• Haha 2

Thanks for replys . 

Yeah wyeast 2007 is the budweiser yeast , my fault i did not explain or word it correctly.  Usless at grammer and wrighting. 

Im thinking of puttin the 2007 down for a japanese rice larger from greg huges book but presure fementing it at room temp with new apollo ..

Now back to ottos famous pilsner . 

Iv serched brew day 2022 nothing in it and cant find a recent newer verison v4 was last in 2017 any chance of a pm on it or is it time bring the old thred back to life lol . 

Gona have a crack at both sunday  but ottos the old cold fridge ferment way  then ramp up at 1020 to 17 degres .  Do you still do the 2 step up mash and 90 boil  , most poeple hear in uk are moving to 60 boil some evan 30 .  

Btw im using the new grainfather s40  if this changes recipee in anyway . 

• Like 1

There wouldn't be anything in last year's, I've hardly brewed anything over the last couple of years. Probably one in the 2020 thread but I daresay the malts in the recipe haven't really changed, they haven't since 2020 at least. I have mucked about with the hop additions a little bit, usually it's just changing the amounts of the FWH and 80 minute additions depending on the alpha acid percentage of them, in order to keep the bitterness the same.

The process is still as it was with the stepped mash and 90 minute boil. Sometimes I boil it longer if I get a bit more wort than I expect after the mash. I know some are using shorter boils, but the long boil has always worked for this beer and I can't see how shortening it would improve it. Fermentation schedule is the same, just with a ramp down to lagering temps over a few days after the period at 18, as opposed to a straight drop down. 

The malt weights are based on the efficiency of my urn and bag setup targeting an OG about 1.050 +/- a point, they may need altering if the efficiency of the grainfather is different, which it may well be. That'd be about it though I'd imagine. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ninja7 said:

Im thinking of puttin the 2007 down for a japanese rice larger from greg huges book but presure fementing it at room temp with new apollo ..

I recently did a couple of JRL's using White Labs Czech Budejovice Lager WLP802.  Probably the same as Wyeast Budweiser 2007.  Fermented around 18°C at 15psi.  They were at terminal gravity within 3 days.  Upped to 20°C for 2 days.  Then ramped down by 1.5°C every 12 hours.  Cold crash at 1°C for 6-7 days including fining with Isinglass and Polyclar.  Tasted great.

• Like 2

Thanks otto iv started reading the 2020 brew day posts .  handy realy as at the start its all bout christine presure fermenting a larger and be my first go with rice larger 2007 wyeast.  

I let ya know how i get on with your pilsner recipe . 

Shamus thats realy good to know , i was planning on doing mine the same 15 psi and at 18c .  . 

Few qwestions for you and otto 

Can i add the gelatin after ramp up and just before puting back in fridge for the cold crash  to avoid taking off lid cold and sucking in air . 

This way can take lid off when walm add gelatin then add presure back to 15 psi and cold crash for week . 

I planing to cold crash for week before keging .

One more thing can the presure ferment be done cold  or do you need add heat . My garige is about 10-12c at min . I can add heat heat if needed . 

Thank you both . 

55 minutes ago, Ninja7 said:

Thanks otto iv started reading the 2020 brew day posts .  handy realy as at the start its all bout christine presure fermenting a larger and be my first go with rice larger 2007 wyeast.  

I let ya know how i get on with your pilsner recipe . 

Shamus thats realy good to know , i was planning on doing mine the same 15 psi and at 18c .  . 

Few qwestions for you and otto 

Can i add the gelatin after ramp up and just before puting back in fridge for the cold crash  to avoid taking off lid cold and sucking in air . 

This way can take lid off when walm add gelatin then add presure back to 15 psi and cold crash for week . 

I planing to cold crash for week before keging .

One more thing can the presure ferment be done cold  or do you need add heat . My garige is about 10-12c at min . I can add heat heat if needed . 

Thank you both . 

I do not know for a fact, but I think gelatine should be added to cold beer for best results. 

When I take the lid off to add Isinglass and Polyclar, I pre-pressurise the keg to a few psi.  That way when I open the lid, the CO2 is pushed out, not air sucked in.

I am not sure how a 15psi pressure ferment would go at 10-12°C.  I think it might be very slow.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 6:37 PM, Ninja7 said:

Hi there from the uk been following this forum few years but watched nerver posted . 

I loved reeding otto pilsner thred and fancy having a go at his famous pilsner my self . 

Is there a updated one yet otto or is the v4 the one still . That thred aint been updated in few years and cant find nothing new . 

Got all the grains and wyeast 2278  starter fired up waiting for brew day sunday . 

Also we in uk have only just got the apollo fementer in stores this week after years waiting  . Is presure fementing pilsners warm worth it , got some budweiser 2007 wyeast in fridge mite need try it . 

Thanks 

Hi mate I brewed this recipe along time ago and this is off the old brewing software I used, it was Otto’s recipe basically other than I used perle for the initial bittering hop as I only had 100g of Saaz. I would now add some acid malt myself to adjust ph for my water. It was a nice beer. @Otto Von Blottohave a look and see what you think if it’s right. Make sure you check the alpha acid of your Saaz as it can be very low at times also. Hope this helps. I also made it with wakatu hops instead of Saaz and it was also nice. If you want it lighter take out some black malt.

Not sure why the boil volume was so high.

FAFFE3EE-B53B-475E-A62D-0509092A4EB9.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi thanks for the post rdt2. 

I went off ottos v2 recipe what slightly diffrent on hops . 

Done the v4 brew yeasterday with the grainfather app .  It made me use 36 lts for 25 lt brew . 

After 90 min boil i was left short with 20 lts left graivty was ok tho with 1.048  

Screenshot_20230306_103629_Grainfather.jpg

Screenshot_20230306_103605_Grainfather.jpg

• Like 1

So lost bit more water then ment to but not bad my first use of new grainfather  .. 

Also done the budweiser rice lager . Was a long brew day bout 10 hrs .  Tried the no chill method on both found nightmare to get cold .

So rice lagar will be getting pitch tonight when home from work as left qube outside for night to cool down . 

• Like 1

The boil off rate is probably different on the grainfather. You'll have to adjust your water volumes to account for it. 

No chill is just that though, fill the cube and leave it there for days, weeks whatever you like. I usually put them in the brew fridge prior to pitching to get the temperature down a bit under fermentation temp, but you'd need a brew fridge of course 😜

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi there just kegged my czeck pilsner been largering  and sealed lid with 20 psi . Gona let it sit in fridge on gas for 2 weeks now two force carb at about 3-4c  wot psi should i go for the 2 weeks?  then it be  stored in garige at room temp  . Wont be drunk till end may so be a cold summer drink . 

My oatmeal stout i left on gas at 10 for 2 weeks but not sure with a pilsner . These and the oatmeal are my first kegs and fisrt go at force carb so taps not setup or bought yet till may .  Just loading up beer stock for summer 

Also kegged a rice larger  what was presure fermented at 15 psi and 14c  id  like to stick this in fridge 2 on splitter with gas between 2 if pos .

Wot psi two carb with and wot psi to serve pils on thansk 

• Like 1

Doesn't really matter what pressure you use if you're only storing it for a while afterwards. Might as well just go 20psi for a couple of days or 40psi overnight. That'll get it carbonated quicker without overdoing it. 

Serving pressure probably about 12psi but without knowing how long your beer lines are it's a guess. Slow force carbing over a week or so is done at serving pressure, hence the term "set and forget".

• Like 2

Thanks for replys . Well yeah could just store now at room temp till may but fridge is empty so fort why not just condition larger now in fridge cold and carb slow at same time for few weeks . May evan take it off gas in 2 weeks but still store in fridge to inprove . . 

Yeah 12psi seams about right for czeck pilsner .  Not sure if jap rice could be bit more fizzy tho like amerian pils like bud 

• Like 1