Coopers Community

Elusive Ginger

Ocean's of Ale-

This is more of a friendly inquiry directed towards "team Coopers" than anything else...

But, given the popularity of ginger beers theses days & the fact one can go down to there local pub & ask for a variety of different commercial ginger beers...

Q) Is there any hope of Coopers re- booting its elusive forgotten project of a ginger beer kit? ... again?

Or has that plane crashed into a sea of malted barley ?

I hope I am not being too cheeky here (?)

I know you folk in Adelaide can get very touchy..

( Is the heat? Or the mediocre footy teams?...both?)

Apparently the Morgan's GB'S aren't available untill  this May (2023) as i understand, which has motivated my nosey inquiry. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Our Ginger Beer kit was taken off the market about a decade ago for a "brief" reboot, primarily to rework the recipe sans artificial sweetener. I know we've been saying it for while, but I reckon we really are at the pointy end now. If the recent trials are deemed a success and the stars align, we should see the new Ginger Beer kit available in the next few months.  All the usual Ginger Beer disclaimers apply, so don't hold me to this! Cheers, Frank.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Our Ginger Beer kit was taken off the market about a decade ago for a "brief" reboot, primarily to rework the recipe sans artificial sweetener. I know we've been saying it for while, but I reckon we really are at the pointy end now. If the recent trials are deemed a success and the stars align, we should see the new Ginger Beer kit available in the next few months.  All the usual Ginger Beer disclaimers apply, so don't hold me to this! Cheers, Frank.

Well Frank, all of Coopers beers are awesome so I can't see the Ginger Beer not being the same.

• Like 2

@Coopers DIY Beer Team

Imagine my shock at reading your response !!!

If this customer could offer some honest advice to the shop keeper,

For some, yes there was a little issue with the     artificial sweetener, 

As no doubt you would be aware,  a fairly large percentage of brewers keg so like cider they can back sweeten there ginger beer naturally.

As for bottle brewers & prehaps lazy keg brewers,  just put the artificial sweetener in a yeast like pack & let the brewer decide if they than wanted it sweet, mild or bone dry.

Personally for me & my mates we never had an issue with the Coopers ginger beer kit in the first place.

I have no doubt given Coopers very high standards & very clever master brewers you will have no problems resolving this. 

Thanks for hearing me out & I do appreciate your response,  cheers Frank.

Ben-

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Will it be more like a ginger-infused beer or a ginger beer in the classic sense? You know, the soft drink like alcoholic (or not) beverage?

18 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Will it be more like a ginger-infused beer or a ginger beer in the classic sense? You know, the soft drink like alcoholic (or not) beverage?

It will be along the same lines as the previous iteration of our Ginger Beer, in that you'll have the option of making a non-alc version for the kids or adding fermentable adjuncts to make it alcoholic. Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2024 at 8:10 AM, glivo said:

Any news on this? 

So close. We are in the process of sourcing the packaging (pouch) and once we've done that, Ginger Beer will be available initially through the Online Store and hopefully rolling out to retailers across the country later this year. 

• Like 8

You bet. First introduced to it while a kid as the ninth hole refreshment, served at the mid course refreshment Cafe on The Everglades golf course, Woy Woy.  The Cafe was run by an elderly couple of expatriates from England. It was delicious back then and I still love it to this day.  Not unlike a Ginger Beer spider but with milk instead of icecream.  I ordered it not too long ago at a takeaway shop in Sydney.  The lady who served me was shocked so I told her the story and said she should try it if she liked ginger beer.  She immediately made herself one and was surprised at how good it is.  Don't knock it till you try it, as they say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glivo said:

You bet. First introduced to it while a kid as the ninth hole refreshment, served at the mid course refreshment Cafe on The Everglades golf course, Woy Woy.  The Cafe was run by an elderly couple of expatriates from England. It was delicious back then and I still love it to this day.  Not unlike a Ginger Beer spider but with milk instead of icecream.  I ordered it not too long ago at a takeaway shop in Sydney.  The lady who served me was shocked so I told her the story and said she should try it if she liked ginger beer.  She immediately made herself one and was surprised at how good it is.  Don't knock it till you try it, as they say.

There you go I might give it a try then!

Just 50/50?

Edited by RDT2

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That's a wee donkey, I like something with more of a kick. This one is 8% ABV.

product image

I didn't post because it was high alcohol. It was more because it's called Mule and made with ginger beer. It's a really refreshing drop. I haven't had in years but remember drinking it in Bali when I'd had enough of Bintang.

When the Coopers ginger beer kit comes out I'll definitely be adding lime. Probably not vodka though because I'll ensure it's ABV is high enough to not need it.

4 hours ago, RDT2 said:

There you go I might give it a try then!

Just 50/50?

RDT2, probably not 50/50.  More like fill up your glass 75% - 80% with Ginger Beer and add cold milk on top.  As I said, it's like a Spider (soft drink and ice-cream) but milk instead of the ice-cream.  It's very refreshing and you will be surprised how good it is.

If you ever had Lemonade and Ice-cream as a kid, you'll know what I'm talking about.  Give it a try with just a little milk to start and go from there.  You'll find your sweet spot soon enough.  No reason why you shouldn't do Ice-cream instead if you wish.

CBC, there is no reason you couldn't use alcoholic GB but as a 10 year old playing 18 holes, the refreshment kiosk at the 9th didn't include alcoholic beverages and we didn't play the 19th either.  I don't think beer or spirits were even an option out in the middle of the course.  The old couple that ran the kiosk also used to do home-made scones with jam and cream, English Tea of course, and the usual packets of Smith's chips, chocolates etc, including Polly Waffles, Turkish Delight and Scorched Peanut Bars.

6 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That's a wee donkey, I like something with more of a kick. This one is 8% ABV.

product image

I remember drinking Stone's Green Ginger Wine for a while through Uni.  Really good stuff but boy you had some serious reflux and heartburn the next day if you overdid it.

1 minute ago, glivo said:

I remember drinking Stone's Green Ginger Wine for a while through Uni.  Really good stuff but boy you had some serious reflux and heartburn the next day if you overdid it.

Yeah, it was good, they have a premium version now which contains scotch with a much higher ABV 18.5%.

I remember drinking the original in the Cookhouse in the Army, it was great for those cold nights.

product-stones-mac.png

Stone's Mac