Coopers Community

Changes in a brew in 24 hours!

jennyss

My husband's pick is in the fermenter - a Woolworths Draught extract with 1kg dextrose. Starting brew temp was 22/24deg, the OG was 1036 and the colour was a mid tan.  After 1 hour sediment was forming on the bottom of the FV. After 12 hours big 'cold break' lumps were roaming around the brew. About midnight there was a thick foamy krausen on top of the brew. 

But by 6am this morning the cold break lumps, and  the sediment on the bottom had disappeared. The brew is now a much paler golden yellow colour, and the krausen has dispersed to a few streaky bubbles. I've kept the temp to 22/24 deg. 

I've got a feeling the brew is going to be ready to bottle by day 7!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, jennyss said:

My husband's pick is in the fermenter - a Woolworths Draught extract with 1kg dextrose. Starting brew temp was 22/24deg, the OG was 1036 and the colour was a mid tan.  After 1 hour sediment was forming on the bottom of the FV. After 12 hours big 'cold break' lumps were roaming around the brew. About midnight there was a thick foamy krausen on top of the brew. 

But by 6am this morning the cold break lumps, and  the sediment on the bottom had disappeared. The brew is now a much paler golden yellow colour, and the krausen has dispersed to a few streaky bubbles. I've kept the temp to 22/24 deg. 

I've got a feeling the brew is going to be ready to bottle by day 7!

Probably will be Jenny as Dex is 100% fermentable & the yeast would have made short work of it, it may bang up the ABV.

Dextrose brewing sugar, often referred to as "corn sugar" or "glucose" can be used in place of white sugar "sucrose" in either your fermentation or for priming your beer when bottling or kegging. Dextrose is faster to dissolve than white sugar and 100% fermentable. Dextrose often referred to as Corn Sugar: Probably the most common of the sugars discussed in brewing, Dextrose or corn sugar is made up almost entirely of glucose/dextrose. It will ferment completely, contributing more alcohol content than a similar amount of malt extract, and will lighten the body and flavor of the brew. Corn sugar will also ferment very rapidly, and will thus shorten the time your beer will need to spend fermenting. The most common use of corn sugar is as a priming sugar during the bottling process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Probably will be Jenny as Dex is 100% fermentable & the yeast would have made short work of it, it may bang up the ABV.

Dextrose brewing sugar, often referred to as "corn sugar" or "glucose" can be used in place of white sugar "sucrose" in either your fermentation or for priming your beer when bottling or kegging. Dextrose is faster to dissolve than white sugar and 100% fermentable. Dextrose often referred to as Corn Sugar: Probably the most common of the sugars discussed in brewing, Dextrose or corn sugar is made up almost entirely of glucose/dextrose. It will ferment completely, contributing more alcohol content than a similar amount of malt extract, and will lighten the body and flavor of the brew. Corn sugar will also ferment very rapidly, and will thus shorten the time your beer will need to spend fermenting. The most common use of corn sugar is as a priming sugar during the bottling process.

Thanks for that info @Classic Brewing Co - very interesting. The WW Draught extract calls for dextrose to be added.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

The WW Draught extract calls for dextrose to be added.

Yes it does but that don't mean you have to add it.

500g Light Dry Malt, 200g Dextrose, 200g Maltodextrin, (or beef it a bit). Basically it's BE3

Makes a reasonable mid strength brew. Bit like a 4x

I don't drink it but the Wife loves it.

Did make one similar to your ingredients, it was a bit thin and sweet.

All good fun exBeerements!

• Like 2

I like that @DavidM - 'exbeerements!' 

My husband is chipping me because we partly started brewing to save money. He is boasting that his WW draught brew costs $15 for 22 litres, while my pale ale with extras and hops can cost $42 for 22 litres. Of course, both are way better than a 2 x 30 can blocks of Tooheys New (22 litres) which would cost about $120.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, jennyss said:

I like that @DavidM - 'exbeerements!' 

My husband is chipping me because we partly started brewing to save money. He is boasting that his WW draught brew costs $15 for 22 litres, while my pale ale with extras and hops can cost $42 for 22 litres. Of course, both are way better than a 2 x 30 can blocks of Tooheys New (22 litres) which would cost about $120.

who is producing the better beer 

42 bucks is nearly 3 slabs  for what your making (stubbies not long necks)

or 1 keg (19litre)   

beer ingrediants are cheap  your not paying tax   ,  pay by the ctn at uncle dans   tax is involved

jenny  let ya husband do the can off goo and sugar and let him drink it 

you brew  how you want  and to your taste buds 

you cant escape that rabbit hole  jenny

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Have to agree with Oz, Your brews are going to taste better but we are all different, some people even like a beer we are not allowed to mention that comes in a Green Can with a V!

As I said before, I'm lazy and buy in Bulk, most of my brews, Kit and Bit's come's in at about $32 The wife's brew is about $16 I know mine are more than Twice as good!

Either way we Save a bit of money.

And have a lot of Fun doing it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

who is producing the better beer 

42 bucks is nearly 3 slabs  for what your making (stubbies not long necks)

or 1 keg (19litre)   

beer ingrediants are cheap  your not paying tax   ,  pay by the ctn at uncle dans   tax is involved

jenny  let ya husband do the can off goo and sugar and let him drink it 

you brew  how you want  and to your taste buds 

you cant escape that rabbit hole  jenny

Yes, I would think it would taste heaps better with a balance of malt, maltodextrin & Dextrose & even then I would add extra malt & at least 50gms hops but if someone is happy with the taste of Toohey's New 😬 it may be better to leave it how it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

i dont brew to save money , i brew to my taste , and i can brew to my taste , without purchasing it from commercial beer, 

yes i love craft beer and i support them  as i by from the brewer not from dans or  beer cartel.

i dont  get it if you  find a beer   and can replicate  it your on winner at no cost   as your not paying tax on it.

improve on what your canvas started at..

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

ome people even like a beer we are not allowed to mention that comes in a Green Can with a V!

i was annoyed today at golf , i had to shout someone a VB  @golf today   
however  i said  sorry bloke you said carlton draught didn't you

hey at my golf club  they cater for the  drunks vb, carlton drauaght and the water drinkers great northern

but what can ya do

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i was annoyed today at golf , i had to shout someone a VB  @golf today   
however  i said  sorry bloke you said carlton draught didn't you

hey at my golf club  they cater for the  drunks vb, carlton drauaght and the water drinkers great northern

but what can ya do

I'm lucky, good selection of beers at my Golf Club, mind you, today I came straight home, finished so early no one to drink with!

But VB is the only beer, I know off, that gives me a headache!

Happy to be home, smashing far too many of my Fairly good tasting brews.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i dont brew to save money , i brew to my taste , and i can brew to my taste , without purchasing it from commercial beer, 

yes i love craft beer and i support them  as i by from the brewer not from dans or  beer cartel.

i dont  get it if you  find a beer   and can replicate  it your on winner at no cost   as your not paying tax on it.

improve on what your canvas started at..

Agreed OD, I have been guilty lately of buying craft packs on special but the reason for that & brewing K & K more often is due to my shoulder issue, the results came back as a tear in the muscle (a name with about 26 letters) so as now I am on the mend with new medication & Doc's exercise regime I am back, I was always concerned with lifting the malt pipe.

I am not worried about saving money so much as producing beer that not only tastes better but at the end of the day it still works out cheaper than mega swill or packaged stuff.

• Like 3