Coopers Community

Diacetyl rest NEIPA

K Man

Hi Everyone,

I'm brewing a NEIPA for the first time with Safale S-04.

The OG was 1.056 and after 4 days I dry hopped and the SG settled at 1.019 for the next 2 days. I brewed at around 19-20C

I assumed with the SG level at 1.019 for 2 days, fermentation was done so decided to perform a diacetyl rest before cold crashing and bottling.

I raised the temperature slowly to 21.5C but then for the next 2 days, the fermentation kicked in again and the SG dropped to 1.016.

1. Should I continue to raise the temperature to verify that fermentation has truly finished or just hold at this temperature to see if SG continues to fall (s-04 fermentation range is between 15-20C according to the manufacturer)?
  2. Would holding at 21.5C equate to a diacetyl rest for Safale s-04?

Thanks for any advise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K Man said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm brewing a NEIPA for the first time with Safale S-04.

The OG was 1.056 and after 4 days I dry hopped and the SG settled at 1.019 for the next 2 days. I brewed at around 19-20C

I assumed with the SG level at 1.019 for 2 days, fermentation was done so decided to perform a diacetyl rest before cold crashing and bottling.

I raised the temperature slowly to 21.5C but then for the next 2 days, the fermentation kicked in again and the SG dropped to 1.016.

1. Should I continue to raise the temperature to verify that fermentation has truly finished or just hold at this temperature to see if SG continues to fall (s-04 fermentation range is between 15-20C according to the manufacturer)?
  2. Would holding at 21.5C equate to a diacetyl rest for Safale s-04?

Thanks for any advise.

+1 to what @ozdevilsaid. Don't rise the temp any further.

You shouldn't need a d-rest for an ale yeast. The problem with S04 is that it is prone to stall. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Agreed.  But @K Man, I have found S-04 prone to stall around 18°C.  Where you are at, at 21.5°C, is fine.  Keep testing until stable.  Then you will be good for cold crashing. 

I am about to use S-04 in a Stout for the second time & both brewed at ambient temperature, I was warned about that yeast stalling but mine would have been around 22c or slightly higher without issue so that's handy to know.

• Like 2