Coopers Community

Norse Ale ROTM

Brauhaus Fritz

9 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Got myself the Norse Ale kit. it says to ferment at 35-40 degrees. I think I will not be able to reach this high temperature. can I ferment at a lower level, say 25 degrees, or shall I swap the yeast? 

Mate the yeast should be OK with almost any temp, the hotter the better.

LalBrew Voss™ | Lallemand Brewing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Got myself the Norse Ale kit. it says to ferment at 35-40 degrees. I think I will not be able to reach this high temperature. can I ferment at a lower level, say 25 degrees, or shall I swap the yeast? 

If you can keep it 25°+ it should be OK even though the optimum is 35°-40°.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Apparently, Kveik doesn't do much below 25. 

I want to know how the Norwegians have yeast like that and how it can even work there. The average high temperature in Oslo in Summer is in the low to mid-20s, in Bergen, it is below 20. Not really the best temperatures for a yeast that likes it hot.

• Like 3

Just now, Aussiekraut said:

Apparently, Kveik doesn't do much below 25. 

I want to know how the Norwegians have yeast like that and how it can even work there. The average high temperature in Oslo in Summer is in the low to mid-20s, in Bergen, it is below 20. Not really the best temperatures for a yeast that likes it hot.

Ha,ha I am always thinking the same, but maybe they are brewing in their overheated houses. Reminds me of a time my parents went on a winter holiday at left me home alone. Invited my friends to stay a week with me. Temperature dropped to minus 22 and we heated the coal ovens so much that it was so hot inside that we sat in our undies😂😂😂. Maybe the Norwegians do the same

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I imagine at 35° it would be like dropping a mentos into a bottle of cola!

• Haha 3