Coopers Community

Just started and up to my 4th brew..

Stoo

4 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I just gotta pick this to pieces - sorry.

The "R" rating of a 1 - 2 mm thick dishwashing glove is 1 fifth of FA so it would make very little difference in your hands being able to tolerate very hot water.

I have had the same beer glasses for about 100 years and always washed them to my routine and they are as good as new.  No microfine scratches or hazy looking glass, just pure clear and clean glass.

Hops have oils too, probably much more than your detergents do as being a detergent, by nature, it breaks down oils that's its job.

great answer and probably something that us usually overlooked. Oily pan use dishwasher liquid and rinse well. An oily substance getting rid of oil. So you also use detergent? I don't always  and tried OD sanitiser method I found the glass had more marks and streaks maby I used too much

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Agreed OD, but some want to do it so what the hell it is a free world.

Detergent doesn't get anywhere near my Beer Glasses or Jugs & it never will, I have posted this a couple of times before so here it is again 😁

3. Don’t use dishwashing soap – these contain oils and create suds which can cling to the glass, killing head retention. Instead use bicarb soda sprinkled inside the glass or on a sponge/brush. Give it a light scrub and then rinse.

https://www.beercartel.com.au/blog/getting-your-glassware-beer-clean/

• Like 3

1. The OP had a head issue. Don't assume it's a dirty glass problem.

2. Detergent was invented to dissolve and remove grease. It does it very well.

3. Detergent does not leave grease/ oil in the glass. Read 2.

4. Detergent can leave a thin film of gunk/detergent, but if rinsed well it's not a problem.

5. A few here need a lesson in chemistry and how to carry out research.

6. Don't believe everything you read on the www including forums.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

Like who? Names? Yeah, nah - didn't think so.

Nobody, as near as I can tell has assumed anything.

Cheers, thanks for the heads up. But most here probably have this one covered.

Edited by Mickep
  • Haha 1

On 2/15/2023 at 7:19 AM, RDT2 said:

My late grandmother taught me to wash beer glasses first and have always done that since! I wash my beer glasses with detergent and then rinse with hot water as @Pale Man described! Works well imo!

Yeah I agree. Detergent can be bad if used for washing beer glasses, but only if it is not rinsed off properly. Properly rinsed off with hot water it should not be a problem at all. Hot water rinsing is the key and the glasses are better off being air dried to avoid any contamination with any substances from a cloth, etc. As @iBooz2 pointed out, hop oils from beer will cling to glass and detergent is a good way to break down those oils, as if they remain on the glass they will cause problems. I also give my beer glasses a good soaking in sodium percarbonate periodically.

Good indicators of a clean glass are the lacing, and lack of bubbles adhering to the glass.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

chatGPT says:  

It is generally okay to clean a beer glass with detergent. In fact, using detergent is often necessary to properly clean and sanitize the glass.

When beer glasses are used, they can accumulate a layer of oils, bacteria, and other substances that can affect the flavor and aroma of the beer. Using detergent helps to remove these substances and sanitize the glass.

However, it's important to use a mild detergent and to rinse the glass thoroughly to ensure that no soap residue remains, which can also impact the flavor of the beer. In addition, some people prefer to avoid using detergent on their beer glasses and instead use hot water and a microfiber cloth to clean them.

Overall, as long as you use a mild detergent and rinse the glass thoroughly, it should be okay to clean your beer glass with detergent.

🤪

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 5:48 PM, ozdevil said:

less detergent a glass has the better .

a glass may survive 3-4 turns of a detergant wash but after that  you have screwed the glass.

detergant has oils in the ingredients 

\

Myth..........check my glass above. All my glasses are washed in detergent. None of them are screwed.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 8:12 AM, Oldbloke said:

2. Detergent was invented to dissolve and remove grease. It does it very well.

3. Detergent does not leave grease/ oil in the glass. Read 2.

4. Detergent can leave a thin film of gunk/detergent, but if rinsed well it's not a problem.

What @Oldbloke says. 100%

On 2/16/2023 at 7:23 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Detergent doesn't get anywhere near my Beer Glasses or Jugs & it never will, I have posted this a couple of times before so here it is again 😁

3. Don’t use dishwashing soap – these contain oils and create suds which can cling to the glass, killing head retention. Instead use bicarb soda sprinkled inside the glass or on a sponge/brush. Give it a light scrub and then rinse.

https://www.beercartel.com.au/blog/getting-your-glassware-beer-clean/

So some random person from beer cartel posts that on the internet and you take it as gospel?

I'm not saying their method doesn't work, I'm saying my detergent method does. I've proven it for years.

• Like 2

Just now, Pale Man said:

So some random person from beer cartel posts that on the internet and you take it as gospel?

I'm not saying their method doesn't work, I'm saying my detergent method does. I've proven it for years.

Not at all, I simply don't & won't use detergent & that's it. I have my own way to clean glasses so I will continue to do so.

What anyone else does I just don't care.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Not at all, I simply don't & won't use detergent & that's it. I have my own way to clean glasses so I will continue to do so.

What anyone else does I just don't care.

Yep fair call Phil, each to their own for sure. What works for you, you'd be silly to change.

I'm just trying to bring a point across to those that poo poo detergent for glasses are wrong. It really does work for me.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2023 at 3:18 PM, ozdevil said:

a glass may survive 3-4 turns of a detergant wash but after that  you have screwed the glass.

detergant has oils in the ingredients 

\

What were you using Truck Wash???

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Yep fair call Phil, each to their own for sure. What works for you, you'd be silly to change.

I'm just trying to bring a point across to those that poo poo detergent for glasses are wrong. It really does work for me.

You know it's funny because my next-door neighbour & I share a beer quite often & when he comes here, he always gets a beer with a nice head on it & when I go to his place, I have to take my own glass as his beer glasses do not hold a head. The wife wears the pants & she just washes everything in the sink with you know what.

He has seen the difference & has tried to tell her but to no avail. He drinks Coopers Pale Ale & always forgets to roll the can/stubby & that makes it even worse, he ends up with a flat looking glass of sherry, maybe that's why I like to be single. Cheers.

7 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Being single has its advantages, but half the fun of a relationship is purposely touching them where and when they don't want you to.

Which happens to be anywhere at any time 😉

Yeah well, I have had more than my share over the over the years as a travelling salesman, now I need a rest 😉

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The wife wears the pants & she just washes everything in the sink with you know what.

Yep detergent and obviously she is not using anywhere near enough of it.  I liken it to people putting a $1 worth of fuel in their car and expecting to drive hundreds of km.

I also bet she still believes that old detergent ad where it says "just one drop lasts until the very end of the wash".  I think its the same mob who used to advertise "ya know you are soaking in it" as they show a lady having a beauty treatment of her hands soaking in a bowl of green dish-washing liquid, (they used half a bottle for that shot).

Watch your neighbors wife when she next does the dishes and I bet her sink has no suds to show that enough of the detergent is in there probably to begin with let alone at the end of the wash up.  She needs to use about 10 times more.

Apologies to the OP-er  @Stoo- we got a little off the mark here.  I always have suggested an addition of 250 - 300 g Carapils, either via a cold overnight steep then a boil or a mini mash at 65 C for about 40 minutes then a boil.  Add that juice to your FV and brew and jobs fixed. 

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

I always have suggested an addition of 250 - 300 g Carapils, either via a cold overnight steep then a boil or a mini mash at 65 C for about 40 minutes then a boil.  Add that juice to your FV and brew and jobs fixed. 

Why carapils , there is other better grains out   there

is this because its tried method of yours 

dont get me wrong i dont mind carapils myself

but heck there is others better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Yep detergent and obviously she is not using anywhere near enough of it.  I liken it to people putting a $1 worth of fuel in their car and expecting to drive hundreds of km.

I also bet she still believes that old detergent ad where it says "just one drop lasts until the very end of the wash".  I think its the same mob who used to advertise "ya know you are soaking in it" as they show a lady having a beauty treatment of her hands soaking in a bowl of green dish-washing liquid, (they used half a bottle for that shot).

Watch your neighbors wife when she next does the dishes and I bet her sink has no suds to show that enough of the detergent is in there probably to begin with let alone at the end of the wash up.  She needs to use about 10 times more.

Apologies to the OP-er  @Stoo- we got a little off the mark here.  I always have suggested an addition of 250 - 300 g Carapils, either via a cold overnight steep then a boil or a mini mash at 65 C for about 40 minutes then a boil.  Add that juice to your FV and brew and jobs fixed. 

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Mate I am never there when she does the dishes, I wouldn't know what brand or how much she uses, but my point was she just washes them with everything else.

Paul my neighbour doesn't get any say but he would like to. 

This detergent thread is starting to get boring 🥱

Do you think it will rain 🤣

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Because OD, it is one of only a few malts that you can actually cold steep, no mash required.  And because it was made by Weyermann's to promote head foam and head foam retention, that's its designed job as a specialty malt.

Quote "Produced from quality spring barley. Characteristics: for enhanced foam production, head retention, and fuller body and mouthfeel. Flavor: malty-sweet; gentle notes of caramel".

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Yep, I would agree with @iBooz2. Carapils is a great dextrin based malt that adds to body, mouthfeel and to the head of a beer without changing the colour of the brew or introducing different flavours. I add it to nearly every brew that I do for those properties.

https://www.weyermann.de/en-gb/product/weyermann-carapils-2/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

What is better out of interest?

I'm certainly no chemist. But I thought it was well known that detergents are designed to make greases and oils mix with water. That is why they work. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detergent

"Their dual nature facilitates the mixture of hydrophobic compounds (like oil and grease) with water"

"glass may survive 3-4 turns of a detergant wash but after that  you have screwed the glass."

That is Utter nonsense. Been using house hold detergent to wash beer glasses for 50 years.  Just rinse with hot water.

Where some may come unstuck is not washing the glasses first. Once dirty dishes have been washed and some grease dissolved into the water the ability of the detergent to clean the beer glass becomes less effective.  This will result in less than ideal result. 

A very clean tea towel can be used. I generally air dry.

Dish washers sometimes leave a scum/film in the glass resulting in a poor head as I discovered.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 1