Coopers Community

https://gabshottest100.com/auresults/2022/

Classic Brewing Co

I was happy to see that Coopers had 5 placings in the list, I personally don't agree with their positions in the list, but I suppose there is nothing we can do about that. I have had a lot of the beers in the higher placings but don't agree they deserve to be there.

What are your thoughts?

https://gabshottest100.com/auresults/2022/

GABS Hottest 100 Aussie Craft Beers of 2022 Countdown Parties

• Like 3

I honestly feel   Coopers is more now a commercial brewery and should not be allowed to run against   Smaller Craft breweries
and they are not the only  ones i i feel should not be allowed  either as there is a few now run by commercial breweries

eg Balter   and Stone & wood,  4 pines  and there is a few others that run under  C.U.B now

Dont misunderstand me because i dont think Coopers shouldn't be allowed   as  they did Start the benchmark of Craft beer  and tastes good

i think there should  be now 2 categories   commercial and  independants.

but thats just my view and i understand others may not have  a similiar view as me

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ozdevil said:

I honestly feel   Coopers is more now a commercial brewery and should not be allowed to run against   Smaller Craft breweries
and they are not the only  ones i i feel should not be allowed  either as there is a few now run by commercial breweries

eg Balter   and Stone & wood,  4 pines  and there is a few others that run under  C.U.B now

Dont misunderstand me because i dont think Coopers shouldn't be allowed   as  they did Start the benchmark of Craft beer  and tastes good

i think there should  be now 2 categories   commercial and  independants.

but thats just my view and i understand others may not have  a similiar view as me

You are probably right; their beers are so well established these days it's hard to compare them with a small Craft Brewery.

Even up against any Corporate Breweries their beers will still shine.

• Like 1

i wouldn't have Put any coopers products in top 10  and not even sure i would  in top 25

They are good beers in the commercial  side of things and would just say they are core range   to what  the other independent breweries are doing

i would have rated hop nations rattenhund   alot further up the list  then it was.

mountain culture well love their beers but its hardly surprising the amount of new beers they bring out

however  i still good to see  coopers still get  a great ranking  with the core ranges all making the mark 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I wonder if a panel of people picked them or went on sales? Stone and Wood Pacific Ale is IMO too watery for the hop flavor in it and should not even be in the Hundred.

Really? It's my go-to, when the alternative in a pub is XXXX or VD...oops, I mean VB of course. I do think I had a few too many of them the weekend before last though. I'm missing about 30 minutes of the concert I went to, the Uber ride to the train station, the train trip and getting picked up by SWMBO 🤪 There were however a few Creature of the Night by Aether Brewing in the mix too. Maybe the last one was bad or something hehe.

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Really? It's my go-to, when the alternative in a pub is XXXX or VD...oops, I mean VB of course. I do think I had a few too many of them the weekend before last though. I'm missing about 30 minutes of the concert I went to, the Uber ride to the train station, the train trip and getting picked up by SWMBO 🤪 There were however a few Creature of the Night by Aether Brewing in the mix too. Maybe the last one was bad or something hehe.

Yeah just my personal taste I have had it in pubs and out of stubby etc and the hop flavour is nice. But if comparing it to a Craft Beer it's really pathetic.

In saying that it even has less body than a mainstream lager that we bag out. 

So for my personal taste the hop flavour is wasted on the fact the beer taste so thin and watery.

I fear I have just made something similar with a FWK I watered down too much. It will be drunk but not enjoyed as it should.

Each to their own but if I drink a hoppy beer it needs body. I have tried a few times to keep trying thinking I was being harsh. 

I would then at a footy game in Melbourne regardless of price go from stone and wood to a Carlton draught. The Carlton had more body in it than the stone and wood.

Just for myself personally it's not balanced and is half arsed at being craft. 

I'm glad u have had some good times on this beer but I genuinely cannot believe it even made the list. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Yeah just my personal taste I have had it in pubs and out of stubby etc and the hop flavour is nice. But if comparing it to a Craft Beer it's really pathetic.

So for my personal taste the hop flavour is wasted on the fact the beer taste so thin and watery.

I fear I have just made something similar with a FWK I watered down too much. It will be drunk but not enjoyed as it should.

Each to their own but if I drink a hoppy beer it needs body. I have tried a few times to keep trying thinking I was being harsh. 

I would then at a footy game in Melbourne regardless of price go from stone and wood to a Carlton draught. The Carlton had more body in it than the stone and wood.

I'm glad u have had some good times on this beer but I genuinely cannot believe it even made the list. 

I am with you on the lack of body in some of the so-called craft beers, most of them are overloaded with hops to disguise the lack of body.

Most of the 'fruit salad' beers are the same, IMO Coopers XPA & Coopers Pacific Ale beat them all hands down as they have more mouthfeel, body, taste.

image.png.a487762467e99acad6152c2c236c4f10.png

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am with you on the lack of body in some of the so-called craft beers, most of them are overloaded with hops to disguise the lack of body.

Most of the 'fruit salad' beers are the same, IMO Coopers XPA & Coopers Pacific Ale beat them all hands down as they have more mouthfeel, body, taste.

image.png.a487762467e99acad6152c2c236c4f10.png

100% with ya there mate, sounds a bit like my home brew 🤔

• Like 2

@Mickep spot on with the coopers XPA being a nice balance. Although I have not tried the pacific ale I'm sure being coopers its nice.  I even noticed the brick lane pale on the list that I feel is very bland and did not enjoy many of their beers. I think I was given a mixed 10 pack or something once that contained 2 of each of their beers.

Little creatures pale should be further up the list but then again what does a lowly peasant like myself know? I could start my own list and be put in my place by someone who disagrees 🤣.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Stone and Wood Pacific Ale

I don't mind that when it is on tap.

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, to me most of that list doesn't make sense,

It's all very middle of the road, lots of pales and hazys.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I agree, it isn't the world's greatest beer out there but it is a decent thirst quencher, when nice and cold and it still beats the mega swill.

It's fairly easy to make a similar beer with a similar hop profile but more body though. Pale and wheat malts, a full body mash, a goodly amount of Galaxy, a pack of US-05 and Robert is your father's brother 🙂 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I agree, it isn't the world's greatest beer out there but it is a decent thirst quencher, when nice and cold and it still beats the mega swill.

It's fairly easy to make a similar beer with a similar hop profile but more body though. Pale and wheat malts, a full body mash, a goodly amount of Galaxy, a pack of US-05 and Robert is your father's brother 🙂 

you are right I often try to do just that with hoppy ales. Get it similar and add the body to it.

Do you get an orange taste from the stone and wood PA? something there I did not like that was hard to pick up on and haven't had one for ages. I like oranges so maby not I can't remember 

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

you are right I often try to do just that with hoppy ales. Get it similar and add the body to it.

Do you get an orange taste from the stone and wood PA? something there I did not like that was hard to pick up on and haven't had one for ages. I like oranges so maby not I can't remember 

Nope, all I get is stone fruit, mainly peach. But I'm not particularly good at picking up flavours. I'm yet to taste banana in a Hefe Weizen and I practically grew up on that stuff 🙂 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Nope, all I get is stone fruit, mainly peach. But I'm not particularly good at picking up flavours. I'm yet to taste banana in a Hefe Weizen and I practically grew up on that stuff 🙂 

Stone fruit? very interesting it's been a while but you might be on to something. I wonder what hops throw that flavour. There are so many fruity hops available.

One of the reasons I'm not really into wheat beer not a big banana fan.  In the early days of kits at high temp I almost gave up as was sometimes getting similar banana flavours and sometimes metallic.  

47 minutes ago, beach_life said:

Out of interest, what do you mean by body? Is that mouthfeel?
Unfermented sugars give body - higher finishing gravity.

Yes thickness to the beer and good head formation and retention etc. Yes more unfermented and more calories I don't need 😉 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Yes more unfermented and more calories I don't need

LOL.... 

cavet: not having a go at you

20 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

The Carlton had more body in it than the stone and wood.

out of interest you could get a bottle of each and try a hydro sample to see the FG, I'd be surprised if the CD had a higher FG than the S&W

4 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I wonder what hops throw that flavour.

INGREDIENTS

Malt
Water
Hops (Galaxy)
Yeast

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, beach_life said:

out of interest you could get a bottle of each and try a hydro sample to see the FG, I'd be surprised if the CD had a higher FG than the S&W

You may he right I only have this conclusion because the Carlton draught had better head retention than the S&W. There is also the possibility that the S&W don't use additives for head retention like the Carlton Draught.

So the illusion of a better body may have been because of the visual head retention tricking me. Same when have bought bottles of S&W and poured in a glass. Was like a softdrink.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg

Just now, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

You may he right I only have this conclusion because the Carlton draught had better head retention than the S&W.

Was the S&W on tap?

It's pretty good in the Valley at their tap room.

@Aussiekraut you're in BNE? Have you been to the taproom?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beach_life said:

Was the S&W on tap?

It's pretty good in the Valley at their tap room.

@Aussiekraut you're in BNE? Have you been to the taproom?

Yeah at marvel stadium think was still called Edihad at the time. Was on tap, They said was all out of draught on that side of stadium. After one I walked to the other side for a draught.

Before I knew it the game of footy was over and I had spent ages walking around the stadium comparing beers.  I also must be one of few who doesn't think a beer out of a plastic cup is that bad.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg