Coopers Community

best method of carbonating kegs

Brucewr0

i have just kegged two brews the same and in the fridge for the first time.  i was told to put 40lb for 48 hours after getting down to temp and then purge and run 10-12lb.

done that and beer is very gassy but does settle.

any suggestions for me before i do anything with the second keg? i have purged it and left it with 12lb for a while and then disconnected the gas.

fridge is sitting on 2.5 degrees.

thank you

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brucewr0 said:

i have just kegged two brews the same and in the fridge for the first time.  i was told to put 40lb for 48 hours after getting down to temp and then purge and run 10-12lb.

done that and beer is very gassy but does settle.

any suggestions for me before i do anything with the second keg? i have purged it and left it with 12lb for a while and then disconnected the gas.

fridge is sitting on 2.5 degrees.

thank you

48 hours is a little long. 24 hours is more like it. Alternatively, 5 days at serving pressure will do too. I usually give it 20psi for a day or two, then drop to serving pressure and it seems fine. 

if it is over carbed, disconnect the gas, burp the keg and then pour a few beers, When it starts pouring a little flattish, reconnect the gas at serving pressure. That should do the trick. 

• Like 2

Did the degas and put gas back. I find i only need about 8lb to pour nicely. Its only a very short lead from keg to tap.

Coopers pale ale with 550gr brew enhancer 3 and 100gr maltodextrin for head.

No more bottling for me. 

20230122_160443.jpg

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Brucewr0 said:

I find i only need about 8lb to pour nicely. Its only a very short lead from keg to tap.

The problem might be keeping it carbonated to your liking at 8psi.  The trick is to have the pressure high enough to keep your beer carbonated nicely.  But, you also need a long enough beer line to create enough friction against the flow of beer so it does not come out all frothy.  I find 12psi works as a carbing pressure for me.  And my 4mm ID beer lines are about 2.5 metres long.

By the way, I fast carb my kegs at 40psi for 24 hours.  Half kegs either 40 psi for 12 hours or 20psi for 24 hours.  When the fast carb is done, I disconnect the gas line, burp the keg, set the pressure back to serving pressure, connect the gas back up and all good to go.

• Like 3

I have found for my setup all the above bar 40 psi work well but also 30 psi for 30 hours via the outpost. Turn gas off to keg at manifold and let the rest soak in no purge. Have not been game to test my lines etc at 40 psi and usually have a bit more time.

The keg can sit for a day or 2 before put back on serving pressure  via in post. My serving is 14 psi I once dropped to 12 and couldn't stand the small amount less carbonation after got further into keg.

• Like 1