Coopers Community

bulk primimg

rtotem1

5 hours ago, rtotem1 said:

hello  everyone i would like to know when im bulk priming i  i pour my surgar in the primary fermenter  and do i have to leave lid tight on primary fermenter?

There are two approaches. Either you use a 2nd vessel you siphon the beer into and then stir in the primer or you gently stir the primer into the FV, then leave it for half hour or so and then bottle. Don’t leave it longer as the yeast will eat the sugar and all you get is a slightly stronger but flat beer. When I used to bottle, I went for the 2nd method and never had any dramas with it. 

I brew 21 litres. (I don't bother with the hydrometer)

When it's ready disolve 190grams of table sugar in 1 litre of boiling water, then add 1 litre of cold water. Stir well.

Let the syrup cool.

Gently add to fv stirring into the beer.

Wait about 30 minutes

Bottle the 23 litres.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

When it's ready disolve 190grams of table sugar in 1 litre of boiling water, then add 1 litre of cold water. Stir well.

Let the syrup cool.

Wait about 30 minutes

Bottle the 23 litres.

so your guessing when its ready 

are you guessing the rest of  bulk priming as well

to work out  what you need you need the o.g and f.g 

thats bad advice  mate, what you do is your preference, but alot of people want to be a bit more accurate and take readings and not guess

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

Let the syrup cool.

Wait about 30 minutes

Bottle the 23 litres.

There might be others that do this but it's the first time I've read about it. Clever stuff. Well done, OB. I love improvisation.

53 minutes ago, Malter White said:

There might be others that do this but it's the first time I've read about it. Clever stuff. Well done, OB. I love improvisation.

improvisation,   the bloke is working of guess work

how do you know when to bulk prime and how much sugar to add if you dont do hydrometer readings

or am i reading you wrong and hoping i am wrong Malter

6 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

improvisation,   the bloke is working of guess work

how do you know when to bulk prime and how much sugar to add if you dont do hydrometer readings

or am i reading you wrong and hoping i am wrong Malter

I think he's basing his approach on experience, Oz. He mentions he adds 190g of sugar to prime.
I use a hydrometer but I probably don't have to because most of my brews (extracts) are very similar. I can virtually tell by sight when my brews are finished fermenting and like many others I leave them to sit a bit longer so they clear up a bit.
I don't know who invented beer but I have an inkling they didn't own a hydrometer.

3 minutes ago, Malter White said:

I don't know who invented beer but I have an inkling they didn't own a hydrometer.

way back in Ancient Babylon times  ,women invented beer , so that their husbands could come home and enjoy the simple pleasures of life

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ozdevil said:

way back in Ancient Babylon times  ,women invented beer , so that their husbands could come home and enjoy the simple pleasures of life

Haven't times changed.

Now we come home and get a lecture about the length of the back lawn.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Malter White said:

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to drink beer as they brewed it 200 years ago, let alone what they made back in the very early days, 5000 years ago 🙂 

Flat beer which more or less spontaneously started fermenting, thanks to wild yeast everywhere, virtually no sanitation and so on. It must have been a horrible beer they consumed. I'm sure the crimes against humanity I brewed twenty-odd years ago were beautiful compared to that 🙂 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, ozdevil said:

The image of witches in front of a cauldron actually alludes to the fact that it was the women brewing.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to drink beer as they brewed it 200 years ago, let alone what they made back in the very early days, 5000 years ago 🙂 

Flat beer which more or less spontaneously started fermenting, thanks to wild yeast everywhere, virtually no sanitation and so on. It must have been a horrible beer they consumed. I'm sure the crimes against humanity I brewed twenty-odd years ago were beautiful compared to that 🙂 

I saw a program on the development of beer over time.

The real early stuff was thick like a fermented porridge.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Malter White said:

I think he's basing his approach on experience, Oz. He mentions he adds 190g of sugar to prime.
I use a hydrometer but I probably don't have to because most of my brews (extracts) are very similar. I can virtually tell by sight when my brews are finished fermenting and like many others I leave them to sit a bit longer so they clear up a bit.

Yep, experience says after 8 or 9 days it's done. I bottle on day 9 or 10. Only do kits and a couple of additions, usually just malt.

The hydrometer reading would be "off" if  taking a reading for 21 litres. So of little use.

The ABV is estimated. Since I usually don't vary my brews much it's near enough.

Again, experience tells me about 190grams is about right. 

Works for me.

PS. It ain't rocket science gents.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

The hydrometer reading would be "off" if  taking a reading for 21 litres. So of little use.

The ABV is estimated. Since I usually don't vary my brews much it's near enough.

Why would the hydrometer reading be off? Hydrometers just measure specific gravity of a liquid, they do not measure SG relative to volume.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kmar92 said:

Why would the hydrometer reading be off? Hydrometers just measure specific gravity of a liquid, they do not measure SG relative to volume.

Because it's more concentrated than if it was 23ltr. I guess you could do an adjustment tho. I can't be bothered. 

I just want to know approx ABV. That's easy to estimate.

And when it's ready to bottle. Just look at it for that. Lol

1 minute ago, Oldbloke said:

Because it's more concentrated than if it was 23ltr. I guess you could do an adjustment tho. I can't be bothered. 

I just want to know approx ABV. That's easy to estimate.

And when it's ready to bottle. Just look at it for that. Lol

Yes as the liquid is more concentrated it will affect the SG, there is no adjustment needed though. The ABV is just calculated from the reading of the OG and the reading of the FG, no need to adjust anything with those readings, except for temperature but that will make little difference at normal fermenting temps. If you do not take hydrometer readings how do you know that it is ready to bottle? You said from experience, but what happens if you have a stalled ferment, or some other event that is out of your normal ferment?

• Like 1

If it foams like buggery for 2 days then settles & then clears it's done.

It won't stop once it starts unless the temp changes dramatically. 

I've had one or two slow to get going, don't recall any stopping half way through. I don't get foamers.

On 1/21/2023 at 3:29 PM, Aussiekraut said:

Don’t leave it longer as the yeast will eat the sugar and all you get is a slightly stronger but flat beer. When I used to bottle, I went for the 2nd method and never had any dramas with it. 

I think you can leave the sugar in longer to reduce any turbidity PROVIDING you have cold crashed right up to bottling time.

10 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Yes, the Hydrometer can't tell how many litres it's supposed to be reading. I have never bulk primed & I don't intend to as I simply don't trust it.

Each to their own.

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes, the Hydrometer can't tell how many litres it's supposed to be reading. I have never bulk primed & I don't intend to as I simply don't trust it.

Each to their own.

The first reading of 21 would not be right. (more concentrated)

But,,,,, your probably have a point regarding the second reading.  (doing my head in lol)

When I started I never had a hydrometer. And terrible temp control.

A few years later I used one. But the readings were monotonously ok to bottle after say 6-7 days. So,,,no longer bother.

I don't know how other people bulk prime. But if you did 23ltr then added 2ltr of syrup your diluting your beer. Bugger that. Lol

On 1/22/2023 at 12:17 AM, Oldbloke said:

When it's ready disolve 190grams of table sugar

190g? You must like your beer very fizzy.   I don't think I ever used anywhere near that much priming.  160g max in a 23l batch has served me well.

I get the 'experience' thing, though I guess the OP's inquiry is coming from a place of inexperience? 

When you've done countless brews though you tend to become very familar with how things will progress, particularly if you're process is consistent and you're brewing similar brews with familiar yeasts etc.   While I still often take an OG readings - usually just to see how well my mash went, I kinda know that most of the time it's likely going to meet targets, give or take a point or two.  I rarely bother with FG...  especially brewing with Kveik as I know when it's done because I'm just so familar with the yeasts behaviour now.   I don't particularly care about the ABV estimates derived from OG/FG calcs - it really makes no difference to me if a beer lands at say 4.6% or 4.9%.     

6 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

But if you did 23ltr then added 2ltr of syrup your diluting your beer. Bugger that. Lol

I dissolve my priming sugar in about 300ml boiled water - more than enough.  You don't actually need much water  - in fact you can dissolve up to 200g of sugar in just 100ml water before it becomes super-saturated.  

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

190g? You must like your beer very fizzy.   I don't think I ever used anywhere near that much priming.  160g max in a 23l batch has served me well.

I get the 'experience' thing, though I guess the OP's inquiry is coming from a place of inexperience? 

When you've done countless brews though you tend to become very familar with how things will progress, particularly if you're process is consistent and you're brewing similar brews with familiar yeasts etc.   While I still often take an OG readings - usually just to see how well my mash went, I kinda know that most of the time it's likely going to meet targets, give or take a point or two.  I rarely bother with FG...  especially brewing with Kveik as I know when it's done because I'm just so familar with the yeasts behaviour now.   I don't particularly care about the ABV estimates derived from OG/FG calcs - it really makes no difference to me if a beer lands at say 4.6% or 4.9%.     

I dissolve my priming sugar in about 300ml boiled water - more than enough.  You don't actually need much water  - in fact you can dissolve up to 200g of sugar in just 100ml water before it becomes super-saturated.  

190g dextrose isn't that much. I used to use somewhere between 170 and 180.  But I agree, 300ml is more than enough. I used about 250ml pre-boiled warm water. Did the job just fine.

As for the readings, I do take pre-boil SG readings to see how the mash went, I take an OG reading because I want to know how well the overall process went and then take a reading at the end, to see if it is where I expect it to be. Like most of us, I have my routine and I know the beer will be finished after about a week. The FG reading is just for peace of mind. I do however recommend taking a few readings throughout the process until a routine has been established and experience gained. Especially when bottling in glass bottles. 

Edited by Aussiekraut