Coopers Community

Offshore XPA ROTM Experience

Brewanator

Has anyone brewed the Offshore XPA ROTM from December 22? 

If so how did it go and turn out?

I've just bottled mine the other day and found it to be fairly dark in colour. It smelt OK and tasted OK although I expected a little more hoppines, there was a significant amount of suspended solids that 2 days of cold crashing didn't clear. 

I had in the fermenter for 14 days, OG of 1.041 and FG of 1.010. the recipe calls for 21L but I mistakenly topped up it to the 23L mark.

Thinking I might have had issues when stepping the grains resulting in a darker than expected colour?

Keen to hear others thoughts or experiences 

1 hour ago, Brewanator said:

I've just bottled mine the other day and found it to be fairly dark in colour. It smelt OK and tasted OK although I expected a little more hoppines, there was a significant amount of suspended solids that 2 days of cold crashing didn't clear. 

I had in the fermenter for 14 days, OG of 1.041 and FG of 1.010. the recipe calls for 21L but I mistakenly topped up it to the 23L mark.

Thinking I might have had issues when stepping the grains resulting in a darker than expected colour?

Hi @Brewanator Welcome to the forum, you probably have weakened the beer with an extra 2 litres of water hence the lack of hop presence & the ABV will be lower but you will have still made a nice beer, enjoy.

Cheers.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brewanator said:

You might have to show us a photo on tasting day so we can get a better idea of what "fairly dark in colour" is.  Where did you get your ingredients?  In the ROTM pack or from a LHBS shop?  Depending on which one, the Crystal could be darker, leading to a darker beer.  Extract is usually a bit darker too.

Like Phil says, I am sure the finished product will be a nice beer.

• Like 2