Coopers Community

Kveik - Help Needed!

Cheap Charlie

Hi All,

I started a 23l brew of Coopers APA kit, 1.5kg LDME, and pitched kveik voss at 28º. OG 1.046. It started fermenting within 2 hours, all good so went to bed.

In the morning I noticed it had stopped. Temperature was 22º. I panicked and quickly wrapped a heat belt around the bottom of the FV. After 10 minutes or so the temperature was back over 25º and started bubbling away again. 

My problem is, now the ferment has stalled again, the temperature of the FV is 32º as I left the heat belt on all day. This is 24 hours later and the SG is 1.035. It tastes fine, a little beery but I can still taste unfermented wort.

Have I killed the ferment somehow? Was the OG too low for kveik and should I add say 500g of dex? Or should I just leave it and take a gravity reading tomorrow? Please help, I'm not sure what is going on here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Hi All,

I started a 23l brew of Coopers APA kit, 1.5kg LDME, and pitched kveik voss at 28º. OG 1.046. It started fermenting within 2 hours, all good so went to bed.

In the morning I noticed it had stopped. Temperature was 22º. I panicked and quickly wrapped a heat belt around the bottom of the FV. After 10 minutes or so the temperature was back over 25º and started bubbling away again. 

My problem is, now the ferment has stalled again, the temperature of the FV is 32º as I left the heat belt on all day. This is 24 hours later and the SG is 1.035. It tastes fine, a little beery but I can still taste unfermented wort.

Have I killed the ferment somehow? Was the OG too low for kveik and should I add say 500g of dex? Or should I just leave it and take a gravity reading tomorrow? Please help, I'm not sure what is going on here.

As @beach_life said, just leave it, it will be fine. Voss Kviek has a ferment range of 25° - 40° and an optimal temp range of 35° - 40°, don't know if that is the Kviek yeast that you are using. Just leave your heat belt running and the Kviek yeast will do its thing without any additions.

BTW why did you thing that it had stalled, just because the airlock stopped bubbling? Airlocks bubbling are not a reliable indication of fermentation, or rather airlocks not bubbling.

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

Agree  with @Kmar in what he has said

Kveik is a hardy beast   of a yeast  and  can ferment in less then 3 days   and thrives around 30-35°c  

great time of year to be using kveik as well  in Aussie anyway

Yeah, each time I have used it I noticed it started fermenting in the first hour & as OD said in a few days it was done, I still left it in the FV for 14 days.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, beach_life said:

That one, leave it, warm it up and leeeeve it

ikr, I was shaking it, then stirring it - at one stage I was about to call an ambulance 😂

16 hours ago, kmar92 said:

As @beach_life said, just leave it, it will be fine. Voss Kviek has a ferment range of 25° - 40° and an optimal temp range of 35° - 40°, don't know if that is the Kviek yeast that you are using. Just leave your heat belt running and the Kviek yeast will do its thing without any additions.

BTW why did you thing that it had stalled, just because the airlock stopped bubbling? Airlocks bubbling are not a reliable indication of fermentation, or rather airlocks not bubbling.

Yeah it was Lallemand Voss. I thought it had stalled because it was going really well for 12 hours then stopped. In 12 hours it dropped 10 points, a further 24 hours this morning it had dropped only 5. The FV is at 33º, heat belt on full time. There is some small pressure behind the airlock so some fermentation is happening albeit very slow.

4 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Agree  with @Kmar in what he has said

Kveik is a hardy beast   of a yeast  and  can ferment in less then 3 days   and thrives around 30-35°c  

great time of year to be using kveik as well  in Aussie anyway

So I've heard, I was really looking forward to this yeast, but so far I'm a little underwhelmed. I will give it a second chance and dirty batch the next lot and see how that goes.

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, each time I have used it I noticed it started fermenting in the first hour & as OD said in a few days it was done, I still left it in the FV for 14 days.

Nice, hopefully it keeps going for me, but at this rate it may be in the FV for the full 14 days!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, beach_life said:

So was I when I used it.

Have nit used again

Likewise. The 3 or 4 times I used it in pale ales and IPA's it never measured up to the other yeast strains I was using. Didnt make bad beers just not as good. I did find a place for it in co pitches with lacto. IMO much better than a kettle sour and less stuffing around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

same results as me?

Not the same but just did not enjoy it, actually I think I had a stall at one point too.
Did not like the flavour either. Much prefer a saison for a yeast at warm temps

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

OG was 1.046, 2 days now and SG is 1.030. All floculated out, it seems the yeast is not interested in the wort.

I would be worried about bottling a brew with a final gravity of 1.030.  If it restarts fermenting in the bottles you are asking for bottle bombs.

I would add a fresh lot of yeast.  Rehydrate it in some boiled water that has cooled to 30°C.  Then add it to the fermenter.  At worst it will do nothing. At best it will finish off the fermenting.

• Like 2

Very unusal for a Kveik fermentation.  I've brewed countless batches with Voss over the last few years and the vast majority were done in just two days @35ºC (+/-).     I did have a couple of stalls but adding nuitrients (boiled dry yeast) got them going again pretty quickly.   

I turns out it wasn't stalled at all, but it did take 5 days to ferment out to a FG of 1.014. I guess I was worried after seeing pictures of huge krausens on here and reading anecdotes of ferments finishing in 2 days. Brew tastes good despite me messing about with it. Good idea @BlackSands, will keep that in the arsenal. @Shamus O'Sean I was thinking that, but turns out I was using the cheap refractometer from kegland to take readings, which I found out was totally wrong, so the SG was likely to be around 1.020. I will keg this today and naturally carbonate it and re-use the slurry after filtering out the hops which I dry hopped commando. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

I turns out it wasn't stalled at all, but it did take 5 days to ferment out to a FG of 1.014. I guess I was worried after seeing pictures of huge krausens on here and reading anecdotes of ferments finishing in 2 days. Brew tastes good despite me messing about with it. Good idea @BlackSands, will keep that in the arsenal. @Shamus O'Sean I was thinking that, but turns out I was using the cheap refractometer from kegland to take readings, which I found out was totally wrong, so the SG was likely to be around 1.020. I will keg this today and naturally carbonate it and re-use the slurry after filtering out the hops which I dry hopped commando. 

Yeah I thought that it would be fine @Cheap Charlie. As I also said an airlock bubbling or not, is not a good indicator of fermentation, a reliable hydrometer and SG readings are a much better indication of how the ferment is proceeding.

Anyway glad to here that all has turned out well.

• Like 2