Coopers Community

January ROTM - Old Town Lager

jennyss

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

You have to buy 7 packets in one transaction to get the free delivery.  I did get yeast from him once.  These days, with the starters and slurries I use in my brews, it would take me ages to get through 7 packets of yeast.

Thanks for pointing that out! 👍🏻

There are a few different ones I want to try this year, 7 may do me for the year - I usually reharvest now, especially with CCA which I am still enjoying. Prices aren't going down for sure.

Edited by Cheap Charlie
  • Like 1

My Old Town Lager ROTM kit has arrived! I'm going to store the hops in the freezer, yeast in the frig; and everything else in a dark, dry cupboard until June when I can rely on cold temperatures to achieve the lager 12 - 18deg fermentation.

Old Town Lager kit arrived! (2).jpg

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, jennyss said:

My Old Town Lager ROTM kit has arrived! I'm going to store the hops in the freezer, yeast in the frig; and everything else in a dark, dry cupboard until June when I can rely on cold temperatures to achieve the lager 12 - 18deg fermentation.

Old Town Lager kit arrived! (2).jpg

Gerat stuff Jenny, you will find an awesome difference in the previous beers you have made, this is excellent, just follow the directions step by step & you will make an awesome beer.

Don't forget to ask for help at any stage when you start it.

Well done & good luck.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well .. Let the games begin!

This looks like a good recipe, you probably have all the gear you need, Rolling pin and a 5L pot.

I do enjoy Steeping a few grains to go into my brews

I'm not a Larger fan so this ones not for Me... but I'm sure it will be a good one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jennyss said:

@jennyss  What a pity you could not score a SH fridge and get an Ink-bird controller.  It would open up a whole new world of brewing for you and you could brew lager's all year round not to mention making the ales you brew even better.  The SH fridge could live in the shed or out on the veranda for example. 

Now I have a suggestion, if I may, tell hubby that you want / need these things or else you will not brew any of 'his' choices anymore.  Now I don't want to start a domestic here, just a better beer brewing collaboration.  When is your birthday for example? Tell him you want an Ink-bird 308 so you both can make the jump to temp controlled brewing. 

As in life, time wasted is life lost.  Go for it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Batched Up this ROTM last week. Found the  Carahell grains a lot harder to crack with the rolling pin than the choc malt barley I use in the stouts. Wort seems to be a low activity type with nOT a lot of froth. I'm proceeding with my usual lager SOP so I'll take an SG tonight. If it looks good I'll raise the temp to 18⁰C for a diacetyl rest then chill it back down for bottling Saturday.

Haven't been on much lately. Hope everyone had a great Xmas and New year. Happy brewing.

Edited by UncleStavvy
  • Like 4

Brewing beer can be a fun and rewarding hobby, but it's important to ensure you have the right conditions and equipment to make a successful batch. It sounds like the recipe for the Old Town Lager may not be a good fit for your current setup, but it's great that you're willing to wait for another month and explore other options. If you are able to successfully brew a batch of Old Town Lager or any other beer, I'm sure many people would love to see your photos and hear about your experience.

Edited by BerryMaisie
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, BerryMaisie said:

Brewing beer can be a fun and rewarding hobby, but it's important to ensure you have the right conditions and equipment to make a successful batch. It sounds like the recipe for the Old Town Lager may not be a good fit for your current setup, but it's great that you're willing to wait for another month and explore other options. If you are able to successfully brew a batch of Old Town Lager or any other beer, I'm sure many people would love to see your photos and hear about your experience.

I'm going to wait until June to make the Old Town Lager. Temperatures in the brew room/laundry will be in the range 5 - 20 deg in Winter. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I'm going to wait until June to make the Old Town Lager. Temperatures in the brew room/laundry will be in the range 5 - 20 deg in Winter. 

That would be a good time to brew a Lager @jennyss, I have done a few at ambient room temperatures & they have turned out OK. 

I will admit though temperature control is the best way to ensure you maintain the average temperature of the room for the brewing period.

Coopers say 12c-18c is OK with the supplied German lager yeast, but you would be better around 12-14c if possible.

• Like 2

I just put my old town in the chest freezer with a temp controller at 12°

question on the recipe 

there are two packs of hops. When it says boil half the hops for 20 min. Is that half of one packet or 1 of 2 packets?

I put 1 pack in for 20 and the other in for 10mins

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulS36 said:

I just put my old town in the chest freezer with a temp controller at 12°

question on the recipe 

there are two packs of hops. When it says boil half the hops for 20 min. Is that half of one packet or 1 of 2 packets?

I put 1 pack in for 20 and the other in for 10mins

@PaulS36I was wondering the same thing. Maybe someone from Coopers can hop in and clarify. @Coopers DIY Beer Team

• Like 1

@PaulS36 & @jennyss.  Both packets are 25 g of the same hop and there is no dry hop mentioned in the recipe so I would presume you would boil 1/2 the total hops i.e. 1 x 25 g pack for 20 mins then the other half of the total hops i.e. 1 x 25 g pack for 10 mins.  Yes @Coopers DIY Beer Team need to edit the recipe and update the web site to make the required process much more clearer.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@PaulS36 & @jennyss.  Both packets are 25 g of the same hop and there is no dry hop mentioned in the recipe so I would presume you would boil 1/2 the total hops i.e. 1 x 25 g pack for 20 mins then the other half of the total hops i.e. 1 x 25 g pack for 10 mins.  Yes @Coopers DIY Beer Team need to edit the recipe and update the web site to make the required process much more clearer.

Sorry about the typo and consequent confusion. This was picked up just before the EDM went out but we have had issues with editing the site. We'll chase up again. Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Sorry about the typo and consequent confusion. This was picked up just before the EDM went out but we have had issues with editing the site. We'll chase up again. Cheers!

Hey Frank, any news on the emojis? You would have noticed that they seem to be corrupted.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1