Coopers Community

January ROTM - Old Town Lager

jennyss

I'm excited, thinking I'll try a ROTM this year to experiment with grain/malt brewing. The instructions look detailed, which I think I could follow without going into a spin.  But when I looked at the recipe for January's ROTM - Old Town Lager; I see I would have to buy a packet of Hallertauer hops for about $10 with a postage of about $10. That's not a real biggy, but this recipe also calls for a ferment temperature of between 12 - 18 deg! This would be very difficult for me to manage in summer in my laundry/brew room.  I'll wait for another month. 

I'd be very interested to hear and see photos of anybody else's Old Town Lager.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I'm excited, thinking I'll try a ROTM this year to experiment with grain/malt brewing. The instructions look detailed, which I think I could follow without going into a spin.  But when I looked at the recipe for January's ROTM - Old Town Lager; I see I would have to buy a packet of Hallertauer hops for about $10 with a postage of about $10. That's not a real biggy, but this recipe also calls for a ferment temperature of between 12 - 18 deg! This would be very difficult for me to manage in summer in my laundry/brew room.  I'll wait for another month. 

Yes Jenny, Lager's are a bit harder to brew at ambient temperatures, this is where Temperature Control is needed.

That postage sounds awfully high for the hops, I am sure there would be another supplier that would be cheaper.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

I see I would have to buy a packet of Hallertauer hops for about $10 with a postage of about $10. That's not a real biggy, but this recipe also calls for a ferment temperature of between 12 - 18 deg! This would be very difficult for me to manage in summer in my laundry/brew room. 

Hi Jenny.
I'm no expert on hops but Coopers sell a small range of hops that are a bit pricey but if you got them with the free shipping this could offset some of that expense. They don't sell Halletauer but one of the more learned brewers on here might have a suggestion on which hops Coopers sell which could be a suitable substitute for Halletauer.
Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, Simcoe are the variants Coopers carry. Over to you, the experts: @martyG  @Shamus O'Sean @Otto Von Blotto @MitchBastard @Hoppy81 or anyone else that knows hops.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Temp control is King

but you can brew good brews without it, but maybe not proper Lagers

The "Suppercrisp Mid" sounds good but even that wants a Lowish temp.

I buy most of my ingredients in bulk, places like Beerco and others are good with reasonable freight prices.

• Like 2

Just now, Stickers said:

@jennyss if you buy the ROTM through coopers the hops are included, it's only if you're sourcing the ingredients yourself that you'd need to buy them (along with the carahell malt and the yeast pack..)

You supply the hops on this one

• Like 1

Recipe of the Month Pack Includes:

• 1 x 1.7kg Coopers European Lager
  • 1 x 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract
  • 1 x 250g Carahell Malt
  • 2 x 25g Hallertauer Hops
  • 1 x 15g Coopers German Lager Yeast
  • 1 x 250g Coopers Carbonation Drops

if you're only reading the recipe link it'll say you need to supply the hops yourself but the pack itself seems to have them included. all the ROTMs i've bought have had the hops included, i'd assume this one is the same

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stickers said:

Recipe of the Month Pack Includes:

• 1 x 1.7kg Coopers European Lager
  • 1 x 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract
  • 1 x 250g Carahell Malt
  • 2 x 25g Hallertauer Hops
  • 1 x 15g Coopers German Lager Yeast
  • 1 x 250g Coopers Carbonation Drops

if you're only reading the recipe link it'll say you need to supply the hops yourself but the pack itself seems to have them included. all the ROTMs i've bought have had the hops included, i'd assume this one is the same

I stand corrected and will move to the corner, with a beer..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Hi Jenny.
I'm no expert on hops but Coopers sell a small range of hops that are a bit pricey but if you got them with the free shipping this could offset some of that expense. They don't sell Halletauer but one of the more learned brewers on here might have a suggestion on which hops Coopers sell which could be a suitable substitute for Halletauer.
Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, Simcoe are the variants Coopers carry. Over to you, the experts: @martyG  @Shamus O'Sean @Otto Von Blotto @MitchBastard @Hoppy81 or anyone else that knows hops.

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

Hi @jennyss If you want to do a Lager you really need temperature control, Lallemand are releasing the Nova Lager strain soon which can handle warmer temps up to 20c but I'd highly recommend anyone get a cheap fridge and a temperature controller such as the Inkbird 308.

Hallertau MF is a great traditonal lager hop and I would highly recommend it, I have it in my store if you were after some, unfortunately Aus Post slug $9.70 for the tracked postage and there isn't much we can do about that, I'd suggest you purchase a couple of different 100g varieties so you can split that cost up over the couple packs.

Three Chins Brewing Store

Hoppy

Edited by Hoppy81
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

you really need temperature control,

Thanks @Hoppy81, And I have just thought; I can buy the kit now, find the Hallertau hops, and brew in winter. 

But I still hope someone can report after making an Old Town Lager. The description makes it sound yummy.

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 3

@jennyss yes you can buy the kit now, and it will include the Hallertau hops even though that is a bit unclear on the Coopers website. Coopers usually include all the ingredients in the ROTM kits even though they sometimes include ingredients that they do not usually carry, such as Hallertau hops. If you do buy it and brew it later in the cooler months, just store the hops in the freezer and the yeast in the fridge and they will keep just fine for a few months.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just spoke to Frank at Coopers and asked if he would confirm whether the hallertau hops came with the Old Crown Lager ROTM. Frank said yes they do, until the ROTM packs sell out; then, for some obscure legal, supply chain type reason, anybody can buy all the ingredients separately from Coopers except the hallertau hops. (This is stated on the recipe, which anybody can access).

I have just exercised my credit card and bought my first ROTM kit. Frank said, as some of you commented, to keep the ingredients in the frig until winter when I will brew the Old Crown Lager. 

• Like 11

55 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I just spoke to Frank at Coopers and asked if he would confirm whether the hallertau hops came with the Old Crown Lager ROTM. Frank said yes they do, until the ROTM packs sell out; then, for some obscure legal, supply chain type reason, anybody can buy all the ingredients separately from Coopers except the hallertau hops. (This is stated on the recipe, which anybody can access).

I have just exercised my credit card and bought my first ROTM kit. Frank said, as some of you commented, to keep the ingredients in the frig until winter when I will brew the Old Crown Lager. 

Good on you Jenny, excellent news, you are about to enter Chapter 2 in your brewing journey. Good Luck.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jennyss said:

Hey Jenny, You could bring this brew forward by saving the yeast for a future brew and getting hold of a packet of Mangrove Jacks M54 California Lager Yeast.  It gives you lager-like results but from fermenting at ale temperatures (18-20°C).  Do some googling and have a think about it.  If you can get the MJ M54 yeast from a LHBS, I suggest give it a go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/12/2023 at 9:42 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Jenny, You could bring this brew forward by saving the yeast for a future brew and getting hold of a packet of Mangrove Jacks M54 California Lager Yeast.  It gives you lager-like results but from fermenting at ale temperatures (18-20°C).  Do some googling and have a think about it.  If you can get the MJ M54 yeast from a LHBS, I suggest give it a go.

That's a good idea. I use M54 a lot. In fact, I actually have two M54 pseudo lagers in the fermenters. The yeast works well at 18C.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2023 at 10:43 AM, jennyss said:

On 1/12/2023 at 9:42 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I believe you said there was no LHBS in Dubbo? If you're looking for yeast, try this guy, he's actually cheaper than any LHBS in Brissy at least. I haven't tried him yet, but seems OK. https://cheapyeast.com.au

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

I believe you said there was no LHBS in Dubbo? If you're looking for yeast, try this guy, he's actually cheaper than any LHBS in Brissy at least. I haven't tried him yet, but seems OK. https://cheapyeast.com.au

I recall @jennysssaying there was one in Dubbo, I can't find it online, it must be a trader that has a home brew section or perhaps Big W or something.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mickep said:

I'm sold - free delivery across Oz. Cheers.

You have to buy 7 packets in one transaction to get the free delivery.  I did get yeast from him once.  These days, with the starters and slurries I use in my brews, it would take me ages to get through 7 packets of yeast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

You have to buy 7 packets in one transaction to get the free delivery.  I did get yeast from him once.  These days, with the starters and slurries I use in my brews, it would take me ages to get through 7 packets of yeast.

Thanks for the heads up Shamus. That dry Lutra Kveik yeast must be popular it's never in stock and those that do stock it are price gouging no two ways about it. $17.00 for 11 grams Pffft!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Thanks for the heads up Shamus. That dry Lutra Kveik yeast must be popular it's never in stock and those that do stock it are price gouging no two ways about it. $17.00 for 11 grams Pffft!

I have found alot of yeast is hard to get since just before Xmas and still now. Either getting more popular or slowing down getting it from overseas

• Like 1