Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

Careful guys, and with all due respect, @Pale Man and @Hoppy81 please re-read the forums terms of use, in particular item i).  I don't think this is the place for self promotion of a commercial nature.  Influencing comes in many guises these days and most are pretty much aware of it's idiosyncrasies and on to it but some may not be as savvy.  Just saying.

Reminds me of the time the yeast guy had multiple dummy accounts bouncing questions and responses all in order to promote his yeast business.  Lets keep this forum for what its meant for I reckon.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Careful guys, and with all due respect, @Pale Man and @Hoppy81 please re-read the forums terms of use, in particular item i).  I don't think this is the place for self promotion of a commercial nature.  Influencing comes in many guises these days and most are pretty much aware of it's idiosyncrasies and on to it but some may not be as savvy.  Just saying.

Reminds me of the time the yeast guy had multiple dummy accounts bouncing questions and responses all in order to promote his yeast business.  Lets keep this forum for what its meant for I reckon.  

Really @iBooz2 I think you are getting a bit carried away mate. Pale has mentioned about Gladfield being superior grain which I concur and I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of links shared with other websites mate, RDWHAHB

• Like 3

@iBooz2 and @Hoppy81, I doubt @Pale Man intended anything by his post other than commenting about different grain suppliers.  Gee, I guess there are "terms of use" but I could not easily find item i).  I have referred to Coopers, Kegland, Keg King and others heaps.  A member referencing a supplier's website is not the same as a supplier promoting their business. RDWHAHB.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@iBooz2 and @Hoppy81, I doubt @Pale Man intended anything by his post other than commenting about different grain suppliers.  Gee, I guess there are "terms of use" but I could not easily find item i).  I have referred to Coopers, Kegland, Keg King and others heaps.  A member referencing a supplier's website is not the same as a supplier promoting their business. RDWHAHB.

Yeah, I reckon, Paley's is friends with Hoppy so there is no problem I can see either, we have all posted photos & mentioned other brands from time to time.

Otherwise, why would this be a topic heading.

Beer Banter

Talk about anything to do with commercial beer (not just Coopers); finding it, buying it, drinking it, cellaring it, etc.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I had a few when i posted that ol sausage ( as I usually do ), and I know you mean well.

I have no shame in putting some air in Hoppys tyres, I've seen him build his little family business from scratch, and quite often here there is opposition to Coopers extract cans, grains and stores, posted up with photos, without a bat of an eyelid. Strange you picked on this one post.

Yes he sells and brews with Gladfield, his beers are testament to both his skills and his product, so no harm giving him a boost.

He also sell Coopers extract cans, so I'm sure nobody would be upset with him having a little plug. The least Coopers?

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I had a few when i posted that ol sausage ( as I usually do ), and I know you mean well.

I have no shame in putting some air in Hoppys tyres, I've seen him build his little family business from scratch, and quite often here there is opposition to Coopers extract cans, grains and stores, posted up with photos, without a bat of an eyelid. Strange you picked on this one post.

Yes he sells and brews with Gladfield, his beers are testament to both his skills and his product, so no harm giving him a boost.

He also sell Coopers extract cans, so I'm sure nobody would be upset with him having a little plug. The least Coopers?

Agreed, I have got to know Hoppy as you now & as well as being a top bloke, a forum member, always ready to help people, he deserves a plug, I do it too - he deserves it.

Only problem is he drinks too much 🤣🤣

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Tried an AG BIAB on the crappy stove today, what a custerfluck 😂

• 3kg Coopers pale malt
  • 200g carapils
  • 100g acidulated malt
  • 600g sugar
  • 15g Ella at 60 min
  • 10g and 25g galaxy at 10 min with whirlfloc
  • Hot cubed

mashed in at 55º for a protein rest 10 minutes then 65º for 60 minutes. I then went to sparge the bag and realised I had melted a small hole in the bottom of the bag. Fortunately not too much grain in the wort so carry on. Boiled for 60 minutes, pot was full and she decided to boil over, wort and hops everywhere! That emergency contained, the 20L pot didn't lose much liquid, it was boiling ok just didn't evaporate much due to my old electric stove most likely. Oh well, hot cubed it. Wort all over floor, but got most of it. Topped up with more water in the cube. Expected gravity was 1.050, I got 1.040. I think she might be ok (hopefully). I will brew this with novalager and see if I can get an aussie lager type thing happening. I'm not sure why I complicate things, next time keep it simple stupid 🙄😂 I think I actually may have fluked this one and it will turn out OK 👍🏻

IMG_0052.thumb.JPG.026767a8cbc8804a7c1493c963bd113b.JPG

IMG_0054.thumb.JPG.d6825ac26b26e3487f90391e208be6ef.JPG

Edited by Cheap Charlie
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

• 3kg Coopers pale malt
  • 200g carapils
  • 100g acidulated malt
  • 600g sugar
  • 15g Ella at 60 min
  • Hot cubed

mashed in at 55º for a protein rest 10 minutes then 65º for 60 minutes. I then went to sparge the bag and realised I had melted a small hole in the bottom of the bag. Fortunately not too much grain in the wort so carry on. Boiled for 60 minutes, pot was full and she decided to boil over, wort and hops everywhere! That emergency contained, the 20L pot didn't lose much liquid, it was boiling ok just didn't evaporate much due to my old electric stove most likely. Oh well, hot cubed it. Wort all over floor, but got most of it. Topped up with more water in the cube. Expected gravity was 1.050, I got 1.040. I think she might be ok (hopefully). I will brew this with novalager and see if I can get an aussie lager type thing happening. I'm not sure why I complicate things, next time keep it simple stupid 🙄😂 I think I actually may have fluked this one and it will turn out OK 👍🏻

Great work.  Sounds like you will make beer.  Also sounds like you did your research and thinking before doing this brew.  Sometimes though things do not go completely to plan.  You will learn from it and do better next time.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Great work.  Sounds like you will make beer.  Also sounds like you did your research and thinking before doing this brew.  Sometimes though things do not go completely to plan.  You will learn from it and do better next time.

Cheers mate, and thanks to you and others on the forum for guidance. Yes, been reading a lot lately, starting to understand all the "science" behind it. The last 2 partial mashes turned out ok, well they could use improvement but they are drinkable. I really could use an all in one system, but I'm having fun cutting my teeth with the pot. I really think it's a valuable exercise. Next time will be a simple brew mashed at 65º only and aroma steep at 80º only. Despite the clean up today and a bit of frustration in 37º heat, I had some fun! 😎

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

• 3kg Coopers pale malt
  • 200g carapils
  • 100g acidulated malt
  • 600g sugar
  • 15g Ella at 60 min
  • Hot cubed

Well done mate, excellent stuff. You made beer! 👍

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mickep said:

Well done mate, excellent stuff. You made beer! 👍

Got it chilled in the cube, just recalibrated my rapt pill and into the fridge at 12º with novalager - it tastes good too! The second partial I did is on tap now and tastes just as good as a all inn brewing FWK - so I reckon I can out do them easy 👍🏻

• Like 4

On 3/16/2023 at 8:14 PM, Cheap Charlie said:

Topped up with more water in the cube.

@Cheap Charlie just in case you don't know, always top up your cube with boiling water so you don't introduce any disastrous bugs to the wort.  The hot wort should kill anything introduced but to be sure I always use fresh boiled water to make up any cubing volume shortfall.  And once sealed tip your cube over on its side so the hot wort gets up into the handle cavity etc. to help sanitation in those areas.

If you already know all this, please ignore - cheers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

No All Grain this break, just threw a quick Mangrove Jacks brew down, interested to see how this one turns out.

‘Also used up the Coopers European Lager tin I got for nothing, turning it into a Heineken style clone. 

421C9ACD-CEFA-432D-A9D8-B9A0EE969ACD.jpeg

That sounds tasty.

• Like 1

Did another Hoegaarden Belgian Wit today.

• 2.0kg Coopers Pale Malt (I used this because I did not have any more Pilsner Malt, should be close enough)
  • 1.7kg Coopers Wheat Malt
  • 1.3kg Pilsner Malt
  • 500g Rolled Wheat
  • 250g Rice Hulls (No stuck mash and the sparge was effortless, for all the wheat in the malt bill)
  • 21g East Kent Goldings - 50 minute boil
  • 12 Saaz - 15 minute boil
  • 7ml Lactic Acid in the mash water
  • 25g Coriander Seed (crushed) - 5 minute boil
  • 15g Bitter Orange Peel Powder - 5 minute boil
  • 25g Coriander Seed (crushed) - "Dry Hop"
  • 1 packet Lallemand Munich Classic Wheat Yeast

Fermenting at 17°C for a few days. increase to 20°C for a few more days, then cold crash.

Wort ended up very clear in the fermenter for a wheat beer.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Ah well here we go. 100% wheat beer. I'm only brewing to 11 litres in the fermenter as I'm BIAB this one in a 20 litre pot. Just incase things go pear shaped I don't waste too much wheat.

20230401_111116.jpg

What temp you going to ferment the yeast? I just made a batch with it and kegged it. I went at 22 see what happens the samples I have tried seem good so far. Might sneak one in tonight.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Ah well here we go. 100% wheat beer. I'm only brewing to 11 litres in the fermenter as I'm BIAB this one in a 20 litre pot. Just incase things go pear shaped I don't waste too much wheat.

20230401_111116.jpg

Looks like breakfast!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Pale Man said:

20230401_111116.jpg

Hope it works out.

I'm sure we will here Soon!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

What temp you going to ferment the yeast? I just made a batch with it and kegged it. I went at 22 see what happens the samples I have tried seem good so far. Might sneak one in tonight.

Ive just brewed a traditional Hefe with the Lal ABBAYE ( 60% wheat, 40% barley ) and its really given me a sensational tasting wheat beer.

That beautiful banana aroma and taste. I had a packet left so I thought see what it does with 100% wheat. 

• Like 5