Coopers Community

I'm Disappointed

Malter White

@Malter White and @Uhtred Of Beddanburg perfect combined response.

I was perfectly happy with my European Lager done at ambient temperature in March 2017.  It might not have been how it should have been done, but it was good.  Other tasters in my family declared it much better than the OS Lager.

@Coopers DIY Beer Team, Thanks for the reply.  However, I think we have a good relationship, so I am comfortable to say, I find what you are saying a bit hard to swallow.  Do you have some statistics of brewers who were not happy with the outcome with a European Lager with the lager yeast compared to those who were happy (me)?

I will not use the European Lager again because it is now a pseudo lager of some type.  If you know what you are doing, you can probably get the lager flavour you are after by brewing the European Lager as Frank suggests.  However, most folks will probably brew it at ambient temp like I did.  They will get a Steam Ale, not a lager.  It will still be a nice beer.  But it will not be a lager in the vein of Heineken that they are expecting.  I think they will be disappointed.

If I want/need a lager kit, I will probably buy the 86 Days Pilsner or the Golden Crown Lager, assuming they still have a true lager yeast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Shamus O'Sean appreciate you're support in what i said, i sometimes find it hard to know the line. Being critical and honest the part where they cross over. 

The fact that the response did not mention the disappeared yeast details in facts is a bit worrying also. Yes it has been the holidays for some and have a lot going on. Let's hope soon we can get a more detailed explanation.  

Either way it is still the best extract home brew supplier in Australia probably almost the world.

You can't keep everyone happy but at the very least give a propper response not a corporate spin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Malter White and @Uhtred Of Beddanburg

@Coopers DIY Beer Team

If I want/need a lager kit, I will probably buy the 86 Days Pilsner or the Golden Crown Lager, assuming they still have a true lager yeast.

@Shamus O'Sean You could check that out on the Product Info section....oh, wait..... maybe you can't.😁

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Dang

Ok @Coopers DIY Beer Team I have to lend my voice to this and agree with the main points being made by @Malter White @Uhtred Of Beddanburg and @Shamus O'Sean regarding:

- the product change

- the product info pages

- the inadequate response

It's now months after the official response and clearly these staunch customers (and I) found it to be both both lacking, and dodging.

This was the first brew I tried "lagering" and it was an awesome experience that expanded my brewing and I found value in the old Euro Lager kit. It was worth the extra money. Not telling me that the yeast has changed in a clear way, would have definitely led to me feeling ripped off and produced an ignorantly inferior product for which I would have been confused and blaming myself for a muck-up. The opposite of the experience that the Euro Lager gave me. Instead of dipping my toe into trying a slightly more complex brewstyle with the Coopers Tins, this would instead confuse and disappoint me. 

I am surprised that Coopers left it in the premium section after the low-key (I almost said, "covert" but that is not accurate) product info change.

This is not what I have come to expect from Coopers (I am the one who started the thread Coopers Customer Service - Gongs for 2022 which was a result of rarely found good-practice from Coopers).

I am very appreciative of the Community here for raising my awareness to the changes in these tins.

I really wish I could write something more eloquent. But at the same time, there isn't a whole lot of point. No response IS a response. The other posters I tagged have well and truly stated my issues so I am just lending my customer voice to this one because it matters to us.

I hope it may matter to Coopers too.

Cheers

Cee

• Like 1