Coopers Community

Using a magnetic stirrer for yeast starters

iBooz2

4 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Hens teeth much! Is it back in stock?

I saw it at the LHBS and jumped on it. At $9 it must be like crack cocaine! It is in stock at a couple of LHBS so I'm guessing the initial rush is over - and yep, I was sucked in by the hype! (haven't tried it yet)

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

At $9 it must be like crack cocaine!

Same same the new Lutra Kveik, couldn't buy it a few months ago - I did see it at one outlet for around $18.00 a pack somewhere. Price gouging is alive and well. It's finally back on shelves at about $10.00. Shoulda named and shamed that place.

• 1 month later...

I have had some WLP800 Pilsner yeast in the fridge for some time so I figured it was time to get it going in a starter. Due to the age of the yeast, Brewfather recommended a 2.8L starter and I was a bit dubious about doing that size starter in my 3L Erlenmeyer flask so I am doing a 2 step starter to keep the volume down. It will be 2 x about 1.5L starters to get the required cell count for the Pilsner.

It is looking good in the flask and I am hoping I will have a beautiful Pilsner at the end of the process.

2431e.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I have had some WLP800 Pilsner yeast in the fridge for some time so I figured it was time to get it going in a starter. Due to the age of the yeast, Brewfather recommended a 2.8L starter and I was a bit dubious about doing that size starter in my 3L Erlenmeyer flask so I am doing a 2 step starter to keep the volume down. It will be 2 x about 1.5L starters to get the required cell count for the Pilsner.

It is looking good in the flask and I am hoping I will have a beautiful Pilsner at the end of the process.

2431e.jpg

I am in the process of doing the same with 200 billion cells of WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager I overbuilt from the previous starter back in January.  This is to create enough cells for the next brew (Vienna Lager).  I also want to overbuild by 200 billion cells to harvest from the starter and store for a future brew.  Brewfather said do 2 Step starter:  Step 1 - 2.2 L starter with 220g LDM; Step 2 - 2.5 L starter with 250g LDM.  Boiling up the Step 2 ingredients this morning.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2023 at 9:45 PM, kmar92 said:

2431e.jpg

OK for people that have more experience than me on yeast starters. As detailed I prepared a starter, the SG of the starter was c.1.036. The flask sat on the stir plate for 15hs and then I turned the stir plate off, temp range was 19° - 25°. 48hrs on there was no evident krausen in the flask but some condensation. I am worried that this starter has not fired up the yeast, so I took a SG measurement and it is c.1.022.

So is it going OK and should I chill the starter overnight so the yeast settles and then pour out the wort on top and proceed to the 2nd stage of the starter with fresh boiled DME and water and put it back on the stir plate?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

OK for people that have more experience than me on yeast starters. As detailed I prepared a starter, the SG of the starter was c.1.036. The flask sat on the stir plate for 15hs and then I turned the stir plate off, temp range was 19° - 25°. 48hrs on there was no evident krausen in the flask but some condensation. I am worried that this starter has not fired up the yeast, so I took a SG measurement and it is c.1.022.

So is it going OK and should I chill the starter overnight so the yeast settles and then pour out the wort on top and proceed to the 2nd stage of the starter with fresh boiled DME and water and put it back on the stir plate?

Not claiming to be an expert, but I would keep going.  You got some action out of the first step, but not as much as you would expect.  So the yeast is reasonably good.  The second step should still give you a good amount of yeast for your brew.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, it's obviously working if the SG dropped. You don't always see a krausen on yeast starters, the one I did this week had hardly any, bit of light foaming for half a day was all it did. You can tell by the colour of it though, when I pitched the yeast into it the wort was a sort of "medium brown", as it progressed it got more cloudy and a lighter shade due to yeast growth. 

I also pay attention to pitch rates with starters in order to actually get a decent growth rate. 100 million cells per mL or 100 billion per litre is pretty much the upper limit, any more and it's pretty pointless. Mine are usually in the 30-70 range which is fine. 

Screenshot_20230422_213542_Chrome.thumb.jpg.03023b9c98c58478d21b1fbdd8a997d1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@kmar92 , you are a new expectant father and pacing the floor like one.  Your results here in this starter are as to be expected in my way of thinking.  Give it more time to finish off a bit lower, after all they were tired yeast you had to revive, and they needed to re-group somewhat.  I would eventually expect an FG as close to what you would expect a beer brewed with that strain of yeast to actually finish at.

Once properly done, then cold crash it somewhat to settle out the yeast and then tip off the un-hopped beer as much as possible (but leave enough to stir up the yeast trub so you can pour the lot into your next step of starter).  The second step should see a livelier yeast attack on the wort than the first, so all is good IMO.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments and advice, everyone.

Yes patience is a virtue they say. So after thinking again I went back and had a look at the starter, amazing what happens in a couple of hours!

The WLP800 must have been a little more sleepy than I thought, but it seems to have woken up after 49hrs. I will let it go overnight and if it looks OK in the morning I will start the 2nd stage of the starter.

2444e.jpg

• Like 4

Got a 2.5 L starter underway to try and recover some old WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast that had a use by date way back in 2021.  Hopefully it will come good for me like the out of date SGLY did a while back.  The wort was left overs from last brew day (COPA's) and I boiled it up yesterday again to kill any bugs and sanitise the Erlenmeyer flask.  Got it spinning up on the home made yeast stir plate today at 20 C.

Going to use this yeast to brew up another Toohey's Old Clone (Darth Vader Beer) which will be pretty much the same recipe as the one I did back in July 2021.  I have all the ingredients as I was always going to do two of the Dark Vader Beer's just never got around to second one until now. hence why the yeast is so old.  This one will be a precursor to and attempt at a Guinness clone in coming weeks but I will get fresh packs of Irish Ale yeast for that one.

WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast Starter.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

On 4/24/2023 at 5:17 PM, iBooz2 said:

Got a 2.5 L starter underway to try and recover some old WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast that had a use by date way back in 2021.  Hopefully it will come good for me like the out of date SGLY did a while back.  The wort was left overs from last brew day (COPA's) and I boiled it up yesterday again to kill any bugs and sanitise the Erlenmeyer flask.  Got it spinning up on the home made yeast stir plate today at 20 C.

Going to use this yeast to brew up another Toohey's Old Clone (Darth Vader Beer) which will be pretty much the same recipe as the one I did back in July 2021.  I have all the ingredients as I was always going to do two of the Dark Vader Beer's just never got around to second one until now. hence why the yeast is so old.  This one will be a precursor to and attempt at a Guinness clone in coming weeks but I will get fresh packs of Irish Ale yeast for that one.

My 007 experiment is alive and well.  After 18 hours spinning up on the stir plate and a few days at 22 C the WLP007 yeast came alive for me.

Very surprised at the resilience of some of these old yeasts that I have been able to bring back from the tomb.  This liquid pack of WLP007 had a use by date July 2021 so nearly two years on and it came good for me.  It was stored in my yeast fridge the whole time so am happy with the results and also not wasting the $$'s initially spent.

So if all you blokes (& gals) have any old liquid yeast packs I suggest spin them up to revive the buggers as they will be good to go I am sure.

WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast Starter.is alive and well.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

My 007 experiment is alive and well.  After 18 hours spinning up on the stir plate and a few days at 22 C the WLP007 yeast came alive for me.

Very surprised at the resilience of some of these old yeasts that I have been able to bring back from the tomb.  This liquid pack of WLP007 had a use by date July 2021 so nearly two years on and it came good for me.  It was stored in my yeast fridge the whole time so am happy with the results and also not wasting the $$'s initially spent.

So if all you blokes (& gals) have any old liquid yeast packs I suggest spin them up to revive the buggers as they will be good to go I am sure.

WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast Starter.is alive and well.png

Good to know this. As a matter of interest, is the white wire temperature control.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

Good to know this. As a matter of interest, is the white wire temperature control.

Yep PJ, its the temp probe for the STC temp controller I have on this little wine cooler fridge.

• Thanks 1