Coopers Community

Just started brewing, questions for refining the process

NBillett09

@NBillett09 If keeping notes is a drag for you, there are a number of free brewing apps in Google play store you can use to record your brews. I use one called Brewtracker. It has in app ads but it's free and it keeps good records for me. As far as I know the Russians and Chinese aren't monitoring my every move from using it. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Brewtracker has proved very useful, thank you for the recommendation @Malter White!

I bottled the first brew this morning and have put on another in the second fermenter. The sample from the amber ale tasted pretty good for an unfinished product, so it must be going alright! 🙂 should be ready to crack a couple for Christmas!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NBillett09 said:

Brewtracker has proved very useful, thank you for the recommendation @Malter White!

I bottled the first brew this morning and have put on another in the second fermenter. The sample from the amber ale tasted pretty good for an unfinished product, so it must be going alright! 🙂 should be ready to crack a couple for Christmas!

Good to see progress @NBillett09 if it tastes like beer you are well on the way to trying a great Ale. The general rule of practice would be to let it carbonate for at least 14 days, storing the bottles at around 18c. The longer you leave it, will develop more flavour & give you better head retention. Usually at around 4-6 weeks they are well & truly at their peak, you can of course age a few but Ales generally are best drank earlier unlike a Lager. Some leave them for longer but there is also 'hop fade' to consider.

A few guys on here & myself at times usually get stuck into it so it won't last long anyway. 🤣

As you move on you will find yourself wanting another fermenter to keep brewing & keep stocks up.

All the best with your brewing.

Cheers

Phil.

• Like 4

A question I had, when I put the bottling valve on and filled it up, it wouldn’t hold beer, it was a constant trickle coming out even when “shut”. I tried reseating it and jiggling it around and nothing I did managed to change it. I just had to bottle as quick as I could do as to minimize the loss!

Also the taps on both FVs only seemed to shut properly (ie didn’t drip) if you let it snap shut rather than close it gently. 
Is this normal for these valves and taps?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

A question I had, when I put the bottling valve on and filled it up, it wouldn’t hold beer, it was a constant trickle coming out even when “shut”. I tried reseating it and jiggling it around and nothing I did managed to change it. I just had to bottle as quick as I could do as to minimize the loss!

Also the taps on both FVs only seemed to shut properly (ie didn’t drip) if you let it snap shut rather than close it gently. 

there should be a little rubber grommet on the valve, i remember with mine i needed to move it forward a touch to get a good seal.

i do the 'snap' when shutting my taps.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

Mate just for starters, have a good look at this, click on 'Brewing Support' up the top.

https://www.diybeer.com/au/coopers-diy-beer-brew-kit.html

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NBillett09 said:

The bottle filling Wands provided with the Coopers kit have tendency to drip/trickle, unfortunately there isn't a fix to permanently solve this. I have tried a Wand fitted with a spring assisted valve, however this didn't solve the problem.

I eventually removed the valve from the wand. This "solved" the problem and as a bonus it filled the bottle very quickly.  The flow was controlled by the Snap Tap.  I have found these taps to be quite reliable, I don't let the tap snap back on its own but tend to a "support" the snap. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

I might try this too @Pickles Jones ,  I have had the same annoying problem with the valves at the end of the filling wands - dripping and filling very slowly - same with the spring or without.

I use the wand with the valve, I removed the spring.

Empties on the left, fill move to the right, bring another empty in, lose one drip, next. (I use a bucket to catch the drip)

Finish filling then Cap.

To me, it would seem much harder to turn/flip/snap the tap each bottle but we will all find our own way.

• Like 7

Oh it's not just me then

Whew

Thought I was having (yet) another (recurring) Muppet Moment 

I am reluctant to overuse the taps but that is another story - I may try just removing the valve like @DavidM said

I'm also thinking of doing the old hose-attachment-to-the-stub-of-bottlewand trick to make the wand a hose 

Edited by Cee
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cee said:

Oh it's not just me then

Whew

Thought I was having (yet) another (recurring) Muppet Moment 

I am reluctant to overuse the taps but that is another story - I may try just removing the valve like @DavidM said

I'm also thinking of doing the old hose-attachment-to-the-stub-of-bottlewand trick to make the wand a hose 

Yep, been doing that for about 3-4 years. That and bulk priming are the two best changes I've ever made.  I use about 2 metres of clear 1/2" plastic tubing from the local irrigation supply. Bunning charge like wounded bulls. A bit of tape around the "little bottler" makes it a tight push on fit. I sit the FV on a milk crate on the brew table to give it a bit of height.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/9/2022 at 8:59 PM, NBillett09 said:

Pull it apart. There is probably just a "dag" or "bur" left from manufacturing.  Clean it up with a sharp knife or very fine emery paper. None of mine have a spring.

Mine sometimes runs slow too. It's just a clump of Yeast has come through to the valve. I just give it a good jiggle/tap, tap against the bottom of a stubby. That usually clears it.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Mate, your set up seems very good. If you want to elevate things a bit I suggest oxygenating the wort before pitching the yeast. I started doing this about a year ago and it has definitely improved the finished beer. The objective is to have a good amount of oxygen dissolved in the work to assist the yeast in multiplying.  Oxygen is very desirable pre fermentation but not after. I use a paint stirrer attached to a power drill to create a vortex for a couple of minutes then pitch yeast.

Good luck as you journey down the home-brew rabbit hole continues. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I also did this before went to FWK, now I just  add a few liters of water out of fridge and some ice to pitching temp. If it works it works often got told about weird tastes from using a garden hose but the beer tasted fine to me.

That does happen. If the hose is in the sun for a few hours the hose "plastic" migrates into the water.

Doesn't happen if the hose is "food" grade. Made from mmmm polypropylene,,,I think.

All you need to do is always run a few litres of water through the hose to flush out the contaminated water. All good then and if the flow is fairly fast it stirs it up pretty good. 

Edit: once I have about 18 litres in the fv I check the temp. Then add more cold or hot the ensure it between 18c-28c before pitching.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

UOB, did you get a plastic/rubber taste in the beer? If you flushed it, should be fine.

I've not had an issue.

could never tell the difference from the few brews I carried  pots of water from the kitchen sink, all tasted the same.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg

That tells me flushing the water worked.

Too many people read stuff on the internet and take it as gospel. Often it isnt. Always check. 

P.S. IMO it takes at least a couple of hours in the sun for the water to be contaminated.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 1