Coopers Community

Simcoe single hop beer

Hi there I'm looking for ideas for a single hopped beer. 

I am not all grain brewing I am still extract and steeping grains (I currently have light crystal malt).

Last time I brewed an APA using a can of malt extract, DME, gain steep, with simcoe and centennial hops. I think I got a bit excited adding hops and it was heavy.  Would anyone have a good recipe and hop schedule for a light pale ale that isn't like a meal in a glass. I'm trying to understand the flavour profile and aroma of simcoe

Thank you all in advance 

Peter

If this isn't allowed here please let me know and I will post this elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Peter_1983 said:

I am not all grain brewing I am still extract and steeping grains (I currently have light crystal malt).

Last time I brewed an APA using a can of malt extract, DME, gain steep, with simcoe and centennial hops. I think I got a bit excited adding hops and it was heavy.  Would anyone have a good recipe and hop schedule for a light pale ale that isn't like a meal in a glass. I'm trying to understand the flavour profile and aroma of simcoe

Thank you all in advance 

Peter

Hi @Peter_1983 it is certainly allowed to ask about recipes, personally I like the Coopers Pale Ale recipe as it is, you can still add your grain. This video pretty much has the basics & a bit more & it wouldn't be heavy either.

Cheers

Phil

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=coopwers+pale+ale+recipe&qpvt=coopwers+pale+ale+recipe&view=detail&mid=98F4A6AE4BCD5AB18A5798F4A6AE4BCD5AB18A57&&FORM=VRDGAR

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peter_1983 said:

Thank you all in advance 

Peter

I made this smash with Simcoe it was really nice if this gives you an idea of the hop schedule. You could use an unhopped extract to make this recipe.

4FFBB90F-8C39-429C-A9F9-C0825D3382A2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Or something like this made to 23litres just ignore the water volumes at the top of the recipe. Just do a short boil with the Simcoe hops  and dry malt and maybe dry hop 40-80 grams

3203CFB8-4FF0-410D-BFB4-4A93D280A350.png

Edited by RDT2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 11:59 AM, Peter_1983 said:

Thank you all in advance 

Peter

If you want to understand the flavour profile of a hop, a pre-hopped kit is probably not the best option. Simply because you already have a different hop in the mix and you don't get the "real" picture.

Short of brewing all grain, un-hopped extract might be your best option. That way you can get a much better understanding of things. You could use like 10g for a 60 minute boil, 20g for 20 minutes and another 20g for a 20 minute hopstand. All depending on your desired level of bitterness etc. Use another 50g to dry hop.

If you really need a kit, do a steep of 20g and then do the dry hopping. So essentially you'd leave the hops in the kit for bittering and then try to get some Simcoe flavour into the beer.

Hope this helps

• Like 4

On 7/27/2022 at 9:02 PM, RDT2 said:

Or something like this made to 23litres just ignore the water volumes at the top of the recipe. Just do a short boil with the Simcoe hops  and dry malt and maybe dry hop 40-80 grams

Boil the dry malt & hops?  What happens with boiling dry malt?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

Boil the dry malt & hops?  What happens with boiling dry malt?

It will be fine to boil dry malt.  A real concern is that boiling dry malt or liquid malt will darken it.  Dry or Liquid Extract has already been through a boil to sanitise it.  The boil will have taken the Extract to a certain colour already.  Boiling it further will make it a bit darker.  However, it will not turn a Light Dry Malt into a Porter coloured beer in an hour.  Also, a boil can be done in 30 minutes or even less, depending on what hops you are using and what IBU's you are after.

Boiling a dry malt or an unhopped extract is called Extract Brewing.  It seems more popular in the US.  It suits folks who do not have the capacity, or who do not want to bother, to mash their own grains.  There are a few Coopers recipes that use dry or unhopped liquid extract.  The various Coopers hopped extracts make it even easier for us.  No need for a mash or a boil.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...