Coopers Community

Craft Beer Prices

Brauhaus Fritz

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Flötzinger Hell isn't bad. It comes from near my hometown. Funnily enough, until the early-80s, we used to have a local brewery called "Fletzinger".  It's a We used to have 3 breweries (in my time) in town but in the 70s and 80s, they were snatched up by big beer from Munich and shut down not long after. It's a shame. Now, the beer culture has disappeared from town completely. There isn't even a fledgling craft brewery trying to bring it back. There was one in the 80s but that was about 30 years ahead of its time and couldn't survive.

When I worked on a building site in Bavaria  Germany many years ago you could drink beer on site all day every day if you wished. The little village had its own brewery and crates of beer and soft drink were delivered every Monday morning and the empty bottles collected by the brewery. The guy that looked after lunch room was tasked with periodically checking your bottle and if low he would leave a full one if you wanted one.  Settled your bill on pay day. It was very cheap drinking.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

Medieval walled town called Nordlingen. Great history and people.

A truly beautiful thing @Pickles Jones PJ.... festive!

I have a very vague feeling that I may have once in my life got picked up from the Train Station in Nördlingen haha but it was a long long time ago 😆

That is pretty cool being able to live and work there for a while Pickles!

And sample the very cost-effective lovely Brews : )

One of the things I really like about things over there - besides the great tasting inexpensive Beer - is that all the bottles go back and you have a nice plastic crate to cart them around in 👍

Back in 2018 I came across the below... pretty funny.... bring back our bottles or you'll have to go without!?!  Musta been a pretty warm ol' summer I guess 😋

https://www.wsiu.org/economy/2018-08-14/uh-oh-germany-is-rapidly-running-out-of-beer-bottles

Christian Schuster, from the Greif brewery in Bavaria, recently appealed to customers to return their crates of empty vessels promptly or go without beer.

"We've had a beer bottle shortage since the middle of May," Schuster told public broadcaster Bayerische Rundfunk. "We can't get hold of used ones fast enough, and ordering new ones takes time. I'm having to send my delivery guys out to look for old, empty bottles," he stressed.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I am heading to Phillip Island (Victoria) today for the long weekend and was looking for a recommendation of any local craft breweries down that part of the universe? I may sample one or two whilst there. 

I have not been to Phillip Island since grade 2 and was not much of a beer drinker in those days

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cult Of One said:

I am heading to Phillip Island (Victoria) today for the long weekend and was looking for a recommendation of any local craft breweries down that part of the universe? I may sample one or two whilst there. 

I have not been to Phillip Island since grade 2 and was not much of a beer drinker in those days

Phillip Island brewing Co  situated at Cowes

Ocean Reach Brewing  Situated at Cowes

Rusty Water Brewery Resturant  situated at Cowes

Green Gully Brewing Situated @cowes

all should be good for a beer or 2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Phillip Island brewing Co  situated at Cowes

Ocean Reach Brewing  Situated at Cowes

Rusty Water Brewery Resturant  situated at Cowes

Green Gully Brewing Situated @cowes

all should be good for a beer or 2

Thanks @ozdevil will check some out. 

• 2 months later...

I must say that I loved the  days where the Aussie Dollar was above USD parity (2006-7?). I got a slab of Corona in the low 30s and loads of other imports below $30 a slab My fridge looked so nice and well decorated with bottles of all variety

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cult Of One said:

I must say that I loved the  days where the Aussie Dollar was above USD parity (2006-7?). I got a slab of Corona in the low 30s and loads of other imports below $30 a slab My fridge looked so nice and well decorated with bottles of all variety

And I got a guitar for $850 which is now listed $1350

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 11:47 AM, Cult Of One said:

When it comes to beer, the biggest price killer is the alcohol excise which gets automatically increased twice a year. For example, in Germany, a decent beer is about $15 for a crate of 20 stubbies, including alcohol excise. Here you can't even buy a crap full strength beer for under $50. We have more tax on the beer than you pay for  a carton including tax in other jurisdictions. It is shocking. It's just one of these cash cows.

• Sad 4

On 5/15/2023 at 1:09 PM, Aussiekraut said:

When it comes to beer, the biggest price killer is the alcohol excise which gets automatically increased twice a year. For example, in Germany, a decent beer is about $15 for a crate of 20 stubbies, including alcohol excise. Here you can't even buy a crap full strength beer for under $50. We have more tax on the beer than you pay for  a carton including tax in other jurisdictions. It is shocking. It's just one of these cash cows.

Good call, My wifes people live in the USA and its always amazing to see the prices of beer (if that is what you can call their bulk stuff) . And thus diybeer.com. I have a mate coming over tomorrow night as he is unsure if he should start brewing and wants to try a sampler of the 4 I have in the cellar at the moment.

The saying is that homebrew is like a fart as in we all like our own but nobody else does. Hopefully I can show him the path to beer and tax avoidance a match made in brew heaven 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Cult Of One said:

Good call, My wifes people live in the USA and its always amazing to see the prices of beer (if that is what you can call their bulk stuff) . And thus diybeer.com. I have a mate coming over tomorrow night as he is unsure if he should start brewing and wants to try a sampler of the 4 I have in the cellar at the moment.

The saying is that homebrew is like a fart as in we all like our own but nobody else does. Hopefully I can show him the path to beer and tax avoidance a match made in brew heaven 

Well, we brew mainly for ourselves anyway. If somebody happens to like our beers, then that's just a bonus. If they come back for more, even better 🙂 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Well, we brew mainly for ourselves anyway. If somebody happens to like our beers, then that's just a bonus. If they come back for more, even better 🙂 

So true, AK. I brew for myself but I must have learnt a thing or two from the brew gurus on here because I was recently commissioned by my son and his fiance to provide beer and cider for their recent engagement party. The feedback was very positive and the 2 x 20l kegs of beer ran out. There was also commercial beers on offer so I was feeling a bit proud of myself. Not bad for an extract brewer I thought. 

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, Malter White said:

So true, AK. I brew for myself but I must have learnt a thing or two from the brew gurus on here because I was recently commissioned by my son and his fiance to provide beer and cider for their recent engagement party. The feedback was very positive and the 2 x 20l kegs of beer ran out. There was also commercial beers on offer so I was feeling a bit proud of myself. Not bad for an extract brewer I thought. 

Mate, you may do kits 'n' bits but you've been in this game for quite a while and you know what you're doing 👍 Just like AG doesn't automatically mean good, K'n'B doesn't mean bad. It all comes down to choice, conviction, skill and of course what you want. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Mate, you may do kits 'n' bits but you've been in this game for quite a while and you know what you're doing 👍 Just like AG doesn't automatically mean good, K'n'B doesn't mean bad. It all comes down to choice, conviction, skill and of course what you want. 

I agree with that, I have made, in my opinion, some outstanding K & k beers but ATM I am enjoying some really great AG brews so that doesn' t mean I will stop doing the odd K & k.

The bottom line is no one has ever complained about either one & there have been a few on this forum try them also.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malter White said:

Good work @Malter White, 2 x 20L kegs consumed is a great vote for your brews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Agree.  I got a text today from my neighbour saying his current keg has ran out and he is looking for his next one.  I think I'll offer him the Dunkelweizen.  The Mister Sinister might be a bit too robust for him.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Agree.  I got a text today from my neighbour saying his current keg has ran out and he is looking for his next one.  I think I'll offer him the Dunkelweizen.  The Mister Sinister might be a bit too robust for him.

I need to find a house in your neighbourhood. Sounds like a good deal.

• Haha 3