Coopers Community

Found deformed bottles in brew kit carton

Backpacker

Hello cummunity,

I tried to get the bottle shape by blowing in bottles but they went straight back to origenal shape.  Can the deformation cause problems when sanitising bottles? Has anyone an idea how to deal with that?

Cheers

27 minutes ago, Backpacker said:

Hello cummunity,

I tried to get the bottle shape by blowing in bottles but they went straight back to origenal shape.  Can the deformation cause problems when sanitising bottles? Has anyone an idea how to deal with that?

Cheers

Hi @Backpacker welcome to the forum, I assume you were talking about PET bottles, personally if there are any deformation in the bottles I would chuck them, unless you can get an airtight seal you will have flat beer. If it is only slight you may get away with it. PET bottles need to be looked after & will last a long time if you store them in boxes out of direct sunlight. Never use hot water just warm -cold to clean & sanitise them.

I have about 300 of them & every now & again I may discard one if it's looking a bit tired, they are about 90c each including the cap. They are a good substitute but I prefer glass.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

I am guessing by the title of this thread that you are just starting out and you have got some bottles that are out of shape when you unpacked the contents of your brew kit. If they go into shape when they are filled (try with water) they should be fine to  use. 

If that doesn't work give Coopers a call on their help line 1300 654 455. Their customer service is excellent, they should be able to solve your problem or replace the bottles. 

Always use warm to hot water to wash your PET bottles, never boiling water which will deform the bottles. 

Welcome to the forum and the hobby of homebrewing.

• Like 4

Thanks very much for the advice. They don't go to bottle shape filled with water - it appears the bottles were pushed in for too long. Some I can blow them to bottle shape but as soon I let the air out they go back to origenal shape. I give them a go with my first brew and see how it goes.

I also was wondering about the yeast: I have stirred it into the water and in the coopers video, there is no mention of it. The mix does produce bubbles and it becomes a little cloudy but not to the extent as in the video. Is the yeast just put into the fermenter without stirring?

I'm a stirrer, I like to give it a good mix before the yeast goes in and after the yeast goes in.

I don't think you can over stir.

I have heard of some who sprinkle the yeast on top and leave it, so it can't hurt either way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Backpacker said:

They don't go to bottle shape filled with water

I would not use the bottles that won't go to shape filled with water.

I don't think these will carbonate properly.

• Like 1