Coopers Community

Pellicle. Bah!

Malter White

11 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Update on the pellicle stout.

It actually tastes pretty good. Was supposed to be double choc but has more coffee tones than chocolate to my palate. It's still a nice drop though.

The bathtub ring around the neck of the bottles is still concerning, so I've been wiping it away with paper towel before pouring which has stopped pellicle floaties in the glass.

Cheers

Strange that I have never encountered it but I am happy your brew is drinkable, but then I suppose you are too 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Strange that I have never encountered it but I am happy your brew is drinkable, but then I suppose you are too 🤣

Yeah, probably more relieved than anything. It would have been disappointing to have tossed out 4 tins of extracts and a bag of choc malt.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Hey @MUZZY, Four weeks later how is the Stout? have you tried another One or more?

Hi David.
I'm steadily working my way through the stout. I normally would have been close to finished it by now as @Classic Brewing Co points out but with me drinking mainly keg beer at home now it has an extended life because it's all in bottles. It's a pretty good tasting beer now it's a few weeks older but every bottle has the unsightly ring around the neck. This hasn't affected the taste but next day after drinking it is having a slight laxative effect on me.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Hi David.
I'm steadily working my way through the stout. I normally would have been close to finished it by now as @Classic Brewing Co points out but with me drinking mainly keg beer at home now it has an extended life because it's all in bottles. It's a pretty good tasting beer now it's a few weeks older but every bottle has the unsightly ring around the neck. This hasn't affected the taste but next day after drinking it is having a slight laxative effect on me.

So glad it worked out and you didn't need to tip it all.

A slight softening in the mornings is good as we get Older..

• Haha 3

I posted the pic before. It’s the residue of a Brett I added to an Orval clone. I made sure I didn’t disturb it when I bottled. 
The beer underneath tasted ok though. Just needs to condition for a few months. These Belgians take a while that’s for sure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

I posted the pic before. It’s the residue of a Brett I added to an Orval clone. I made sure I didn’t disturb it when I bottled. 
The beer underneath tasted ok though. Just needs to condition for a few months. These Belgians take a while that’s for sure

Yeah I think I remember now, still doesn't excite you looking at that stuff. I have never experienced it.

• Haha 1

Can anybody shed some light on this, not sure if it’s an infection on the inside of the lid ?

Just kegged this morning, smelt ok, looked clear as as I Cold Crashed it.

‘First time I have ever had something like this. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Cheers Brewers.

6CACBC11-3A0D-411D-98DF-F49337388DBF.jpeg

8 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Can anybody shed some light on this, not sure if it’s an infection on the inside of the lid ?

Just kegged this morning, smelt ok, looked clear as as I Cold Crashed it.

‘First time I have ever had something like this. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Cheers Brewers.

6CACBC11-3A0D-411D-98DF-F49337388DBF.jpeg

Looks like fine grain husks.  Were you milling grain nearby?  Otherwise, I have no idea.  How did they wash off?  Did they retain their shape or disintegrate?

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Looks like fine grain husks.  Were you milling grain nearby?  Otherwise, I have no idea.  How did they wash off?  Did they retain their shape or disintegrate?

I think they were grain husks as they sort of disintegrated , not moving or anything. 
‘Everything smelt fine so I went ahead and kegged, find out if there’s anything nasty when it hits the tap. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 3