Coopers Community

Facing up to beer brewing logistics

jennyss

1 minute ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Speaking of Brigalow, I did two of their brews. A New, dry hopped and hop tea with experimental NZ hops and a Munich lager with East Kent Golding. Both were drinkable but wouldn’t use it again.

I have had a couple of theirs over the years, I found them pretty average. IMO Coopers is far superior.

Mangrove Jack's make fine beers as do Black Rock (both from NZ).  Muntons is not bad either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I will try everything which sounds interesting to me. Brigalow, never again. Coopers, always. I did some and like the Black Rock range and found their recipe page, so definitely will try some of them out. Morgan Dark Ale, Dockland Stout and Ginger beer are great, and so are some of the Woodforde’s and Munton’s range with Old Conckerwood and NOG Ale my absolute favourites, did them both three times. One brand I am still curious about is ESB, did someone use them before? With so much variety around you can always try something new. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have had a couple of theirs over the years, I found them pretty average. IMO Coopers is far superior.

Mangrove Jack's make fine beers as do Black Rock (both from NZ).  Muntons is not bad either.

You posted while I typed, ha ha great minds think alike. Your right, I forgot Mangrove Jack. My wife absolutely loves their Berliner Raspberry Weiße and I their Pink Grapefruit IPA. For not being big on Ciders, I brewed already three different ones of theirs and everybody enjoyed them. The fourth one, Blueberry, will be ready next week 

Btw. A little parcel is on the way

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I will try everything which sounds interesting to me. Brigalow, never again. Coopers, always. I did some and like the Black Rock range and found their recipe page, so definitely will try some of them out. Morgan Dark Ale, Dockland Stout and Ginger beer are great, and so are some of the Woodforde’s and Munton’s range with Old Conckerwood and NOG Ale my absolute favourites, did them both three times. One brand I am still curious about is ESB, did someone use them before? With so much variety around you can always try something new. 

We don't see ESB in Adelaide, but I have seen their kits online, their FWK & range of extracts look OK, but I don't know much about them so it wouldn't be worth paying shipping from Sydney as there are plenty of other choices locally.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

You posted while I typed, ha ha great minds think alike. Your right, I forgot Mangrove Jack. My wife absolutely loves their Berliner Raspberry Weiße and I their Pink Grapefruit IPA. For not being big on Ciders, I brewed already three different ones of theirs and everybody enjoyed them. The fourth one, Blueberry, will be ready next week 

That sounds interesting, Cheers, I will follow up with something. 😀

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 4:34 PM, jennyss said:

We also made an extract titled  'Brigalow New'.  It is yuck in my opinion.

I am feeling a bit guilty and mean being so critical of the 'Brigalow New'.  Eunice from Brigalow was very helpful on the phone when I called about the right temperature for the brew. Each to their own taste as we like to say. My husband is steadily drinking his way through the Brigalow. I am working on a batch of Pale Ale. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I am feeling a bit guilty and mean being so critical of the 'Brigalow New'.  Eunice from Brigalow was very helpful on the phone when I called about the right temperature for the brew. Each to their own taste as we like to say. My husband is steadily drinking his way through the Brigalow. I am working on a batch of Pale Ale. 

Well you have said it all 'each to their own taste'. That pretty much sums it up as some just like to have a beer without too many bells & whistles but my view is the longer you make your own there comes a time when you want change or improvement & that's why we experiment.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

My husband is steadily drinking his way through the Brigalow. I am working on a batch of Pale Ale. 

And there Ya have it.. A perfect World (household).

Two different tastes, two different beers

• Like 4

On 10/29/2022 at 10:03 AM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Looking to do a sour myself and the mangrove Jacks Raspberry is on my list for summer but whats the Grapefruit IPA like in sourness? My wife loves a sour

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cult Of One said:

Looking to do a sour myself and the mangrove Jacks Raspberry is on my list for summer but whats the Grapefruit IPA like in sourness? My wife loves a sour

Not very sour, it’s grapefruity and bitter, but nice. Also did the Mango Pale Ale, which I enjoyed a lot. You can also go for their ciders, my wife likes them a lot

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Not very sour, it’s grapefruity and bitter, but nice. Also did the Mango Pale Ale, which I enjoyed a lot. You can also go for their ciders, my wife likes them a lot

I am doing the raspberry for sure, I may even put in some lemon juice (I have 3 trees in the garden) Love the sour feeling/taste. The mango sounds great as well. So many brews and never enough bottles to put them in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Cult Of One said:

I am doing the raspberry for sure, I may even put in some lemon juice (I have 3 trees in the garden) Love the sour feeling/taste. The mango sounds great as well. So many brews and never enough bottles to put them in. 

Ha,ha, take your time, don't rush it. I did get carried away in the beginning, doing too much and starting to lack in sanitation.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Ha,ha, take your time, don't rush it. I did get carried away in the beginning, doing too much and starting to lack in sanitation.

I agree it's better to start of slowly & gradually experiment rather than add too many extras, probably better to try different yeasts & hops for the floral/citrus/aromatic flavours.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Cult Of One said:

Wanna brew a sour; use Lallemand Brewing's WildBrew Philly Sour.  A yeast that safely produces Lactic Acid during fermentation.  It makes a great sour beer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 10:03 AM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

How was the Blueberry? I did the Raspberry Berlinner and the smell in the house was great. Its conditioning now. my beautiful wife is looking forward to it on a hot day

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Haven't tried one yet. Its ready to drink, will do in the next few days.  

Having one now after work, nearly 4 weeks in the bottle. Yum, it is really nice, not a strong blueberry flavour, but still nice and fruity, nicely carbonated and with 6.5 % packing quiet a 🥊 

2F5F0EFC-7DFC-4644-B80E-A4A573FD137D.jpeg

label (4).jpeg

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I have faced up to my logistics and went online to gumtree and brough 100 bottles for $55. half used and half brand new. Saved a bunch. Half were brown glass swing tops and the rest normal Coopers PET. 

The lovely lady who sold them to me sad her deceased husband would be happy to see them being put to good use.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cult Of One said:

I have faced up to my logistics and went online to gumtree and brough 100 bottles for $55. half used and half brand new. Saved a bunch. Half were brown glass swing tops and the rest normal Coopers PET. 

The lovely lady who sold them to me sad her deceased husband would be happy to see them being put to good use.  

Give them a good soak before the first use, also change the rubber seals of the flip tops or at least take them of and clean them and the bottles tops. Bit of work but worth it to get rid of any nasties. I ruined a few brews with second hand bottles due to bad sanitation.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Give them a good soak before the first use, also change the rubber seals of the flip tops or at least take them of and clean them and the bottles tops. Bit of work but worth it to get rid of any nasties. I ruined a few brews with second hand bottles due to bad sanitation.

Yeah, good call. It was an arduous task to do but worth it. The swing tops were brand new, washed in warm soapy water and then I soaked in ammonia for an hour including the new swing tops and then fitted the also soaked seals nice big rinse after. The PETs I washed and soaked as well then rinsed.  Secondhand is very sustainable 

Sustainability is one reason I started brewing, the carbon footprint of importing beer is huge along with making new glass/aluminum. For every KG of aluminum we recycle instead of using virgin  aluminum we save enough electricity to power a TV for 204 hours and saves 233 lts of water. 

• Like 5