Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

24 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Practice 9 holes today, pretty good for some ordinary ball striking with the irons. Didn't happen every shot but a few I hit a bit thin, luckily they stayed more or less on line though. I think I've found the sweet spot for loft on my 3 wood, changed it back to 15.75° after the first hole and every shot after that was straight down the middle. Forward tees on this hole turned it into basically a par 4 but I'll take the bird. Now to replicate it or better on the weekend 🤪

Good to see the new irons working for you Otto. 

• Like 2

Saturday was a total disaster, only managing 22 points. We were stuck behind a really slow group which didn't help, and I probably let it get to me too much as well. I need to learn to relax during comp rounds like I do when I play practice rounds, as I always play better when I'm relaxed. 

Sunday was better, no slow group in front, they actually got away from us, but we weren't slow either as a two ball behind never caught up. I was more relaxed and although the tee shots were still a bit wayward and I chunked a few irons initially, my short game was working well with 77% up and downs, and I was putting better as well. Last day before a week and a half off which includes the trip to Tenterfield from Thursday to Sunday, and plenty of golf. I'll also be getting a few bits and pieces next week to get the brewing started again, although I may wait until after club champs to get back to it. 

73910657_Screenshot_20220802-074538_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.7949316dd72c77859fcf0a419c71b444.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've had a bad run for awhile, scores like 20, 19, 17 GA out 2 shots and Soft Caped.

I've been Topping the ball a lot and just not swinging as I know I can.

Stroke round on Saturday and I was feeling good after a solid practice on the Friday, held it together for most of the day and ended with a 68, yeah. Topped the odd ball but usually followed it up with a good hit to get out of trouble. Coming to the 18th, I tried not to get ahead of myself, knew I was doing well but just wanted to finish it off. Hit my tee shot short right onto some mounds off the fairway. Uphill lie, second shot was Ok but still right and onto another mound, 80m pitch to green from terrible lie, drop it to 6 feet and look like a hero. Miss the putt by one more roll of the ball !!

It was enough to win the day on Count back, I hope I can hold the good play for awhile.

Played Monday with the Vets and also did well 34 points, course was soaked and played a +2, ended fourth.

Stayed home today, Rain most of the morning, feels like 3.5, it's cleared for now, more coming but still cold.

See what happens tomorrow🍻

• Like 5

Back in Brisbane after the trip to Tenterfield, which apart from some ordinary weather for one of the days and the temperature wreaking havoc on my shot distances (120 metre 5 iron, really? 😂), was a really fun trip. I'm glad I went down on the Thursday, because I needed a round or two to get used to the greens there before the "Ryder cup" over the weekend that is the whole reason for the trip. They were very fast, and were extremely receptive to spin (I already knew that though from my last trip there). 

We only played 16 holes before it got too dark on Thursday, but Friday we got the full 18 in after the rain finally stopped. Started on 10 at around lunchtime, and I had my first hole out longer than a chip in, spinning one back into the hole from 82 metres out. Crazy shot. 

180796658_Screenshot_20220805-162025_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.432c0d83f5d6da18bdf39d2206e3432c.jpg

On Saturday it was a 2 person ambrose matchplay round. My teammate and I won our match over the oldies 3 and 2, and overall the young guns took a lead into Sunday's round. 

Sunday was a standard single matchplay with a young vs older for each matchup. I didn't play as well as Friday but still won my match and the young guns took the cup again. 

1846247976_Screenshot_20220807-123631_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1f0e0fe516a859256230174d31b6abbf.jpg

On Tuesday I went to my home course for a practice round, mum came along to have a look as well so I wasn't taking it too seriously, but I wanted to take some videos to show Dad who can't get out onto a course like that anymore. Got a few good ones of various shots. Also wanted to get used to the slower greens again before yesterday's comp round. I think I shot 92 or something. 

Yesterday was a pretty good day. I have been working on trying to stay relaxed through the round and not let the mistakes get to me, also to not focus on the scores and just each shot at a time. It seemed to work as I didn't fall over in the back 9 which has been an issue recently. Hell of a start with 13 points after 4 holes. A run of bad form sent my handicap out nearly 2 shots but it came back down a bit to 15.2 after yesterday. Next comp is tomorrow.

576337518_Screenshot_20220810-154522_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.c94bfe5ce19891171c2a4111f03fb46a.jpg

• Like 3

Comp again today, started with sunshine but rain on the way and windy.

Pulled my first three drives left, not something I normal do, second and third shots were no better and wiped the first three holes. Started to get a grove going from there and finished with 32 points, 20 on the back nine.

The rain started just as we finished, well timed.

• Like 2

34 points today. Must be the strangest scorecard I've had to date, rubbish first hole but then nine 4s in a row, and +2 off the stick for that stretch of ten from 2-11. Unfortunately I got a bit tired or whatever mainly from 13 onward, and started swinging pretty inconsistently. Still enough to drop back to 15.1. This 4 iron into the green was a pleasing shot. 

1612428739_Screenshot_20220812-154701_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.bb476b5fe9b71cca3e4a1c4432de9fc6.jpg

• Like 1

Another Par round today.

Showers on and off all day and while the course is holding up pretty well with the constant wet weather, there is little run, you have to hit the distance. 

After 9 holes I was -1, came home with 42 on the back 9 for a +1 to finish square for the day. Finished 5th overall & runner up in B Grade. The winner of the day  only finished +2.

Finally playing some consistent golf - next round will see if I can keep it going. 

Edited by GregT5
  • Like 1

33 points yesterday in the rain for half the round before it cleared up. Absolute garbage 24 points today mainly as a result of horrible ball striking, way too many fat shots, and I think I've worked out why - I'm inadvertently lowering my body on the backswing and changing the swing arc. Will work on that issue through the week before Saturday. I noted I didn't have the issue with chipping and short pitches, which were pretty good for the most part. A lot of shortish (8-10 foot or so) putts lipped out, at one point it happened so many times in a row I just kicked the ball away in frustration on one hole. 

I have a series of similarly crappy rounds to drop off my GA over the next little while so I'm keen to replace them with some decent ones to get the handicap trending back down again. 

• Like 3

A golfing weekend away  at Cobram/ Barooga golf restort    played both courses  the old and the west course ,  2 great courses  
Friday seen   the west course played   and wasnt a bad round not sure what i finished with as we decide stroke for 1st 9 then ambrose for back nine  but our little social group is not about the scores  or who wins its  just about having a good time with friends

Saturday seen us play the old course i woke up  aggravated bad back  as we was working out the teams  i decided to pull out of our Mixed teams Ambrose as there was 10 of us and another couldnt complete the round so i said well  us 2 that are injured will just play that way we wont upset the mixed ambrose if we need to pull out..   any way getting on course and wow what a great track and i was hitting the ball rather sweet  but wasnt overly enjoyable as me and my playing partner got stuck behind this group who was slow as a wet weekend and was like getting 3 holes behind the group in front .   i said do you mind if we go through   as we are moving quicker just being a group of 2.    they said  no  its not like you can go anywhere.  i said  to them your getting 3 holes behind and your banking the field up   it was like a 15minute wait on each shot...   however though we got to the 11th tee and the heavens opened up with lightening and thunder so  we decided to pull the pin   and made it back to the 19th  and just had a bet and few beers  

but heck the facilites and the golf course are great place for a weekend trip   of golf     our group has decided  this will be our annual golfing trip away 

but have decided to hang the golf clubs up for a few weeks as my back is pretty sore 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

A golfing weekend away  at Cobram/ Barooga golf restort    played both courses  the old and the west course ,  2 great courses  
Friday seen   the west course played   and wasnt a bad round not sure what i finished with as we decide stroke for 1st 9 then ambrose for back nine  but our little social group is not about the scores  or who wins its  just about having a good time with friends

Saturday seen us play the old course i woke up  aggravated bad back  as we was working out the teams  i decided to pull out of our Mixed teams Ambrose as there was 10 of us and another couldnt complete the round so i said well  us 2 that are injured will just play that way we wont upset the mixed ambrose if we need to pull out..   any way getting on course and wow what a great track and i was hitting the ball rather sweet  but wasnt overly enjoyable as me and my playing partner got stuck behind this group who was slow as a wet weekend and was like getting 3 holes behind the group in front .   i said do you mind if we go through   as we are moving quicker just being a group of 2.    they said  no  its not like you can go anywhere.  i said  to them your getting 3 holes behind and your banking the field up   it was like a 15minute wait on each shot...   however though we got to the 11th tee and the heavens opened up with lightening and thunder so  we decided to pull the pin   and made it back to the 19th  and just had a bet and few beers  

but heck the facilites and the golf course are great place for a weekend trip   of golf     our group has decided  this will be our annual golfing trip away 

but have decided to hang the golf clubs up for a few weeks as my back is pretty sore 

It is good to get away, be with friends & enjoy activities together, however this crappy weather is stopping everyone from doing everything. A couple of mates & I decided to spend an afternoon in the Adelaide Hills & visit a few Craft Breweries but the rain got heavier & heavier & then there was fog, so bad you couldn't see the car in front of you. We called it quits & dropped into Hahndorf & sat by the fire, had a few pints & went home. 🍻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It is good to get away, be with friends & enjoy activities together, however this crappy weather is stopping everyone from doing everything. A couple of mates & I decided to spend an afternoon in the Adelaide Hills & visit a few Craft Breweries but the rain got heavier & heavier & then there was fog, so bad you couldn't see the car in front of you. We called it quits & dropped into Hahndorf & sat by the fire, had a few pints & went home. 🍻

used to love going up in the hills and around that  harndorf etc .   nice area of Adelaide.  , i need to get back to Adeliade soon to see family  and i have some good mates in Adelide  1 thats into the craft beer seen ..    going to try and get over before Christmas...

but just getting away with a bunch of mates  is good  

1 minute ago, ozdevil said:

used to love going up in the hills and around that  harndorf etc .   nice area of Adelaide.  , i need to get back to Adeliade soon to see family  and i have some good mates in Adelide  1 thats into the craft beer seen ..    going to try and get over before Christmas...

but just getting away with a bunch of mates  is good  

Well you know where Glenelg is, give us a hoy. 👋

Better ball striking today after fixing that issue from last week, I didn't hit one fat today, one or two were a little bit heavy but nothing like last week. Accuracy not always there but enough to shoot 35 points. Putted pretty well, chipping wasn't fantastic but I did hole one. The bunkers aren't great at the moment, they've fixed up the drainage but the sand is too fluffy, that led to two of the triples. 

I can only assume this tee shot hit something on the ground that kicked it on, 264m is ridiculous for a 3 wood, for me anyway 😂 unfortunately bladed the wedge over the green. We started on 10 as well, a rare morning round today as I'm heading out tonight. Next round is club champs next Saturday. 

1032593107_Screenshot_20220820-130049_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.89841875788954db2259e9a5ae314b2a.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

A stroke round today and the first round of the club championships.

Changed a couple of things with my driving and chipping,  both seemed to work OK (well today anyway!!)

Shot 43 on the front nine and 45 on the back nine, not bad given I 3 putted 2 greens. Happy to have played to my handicap again.  The leader in B Grade is 86, I am level runner-up 2 shots back with 1 other bloke.  A long way to go though. 

• Like 2

Played three games this week, 32, 32, 36

Happy with the scores but always just feel like there is more. I'm striking the ball well at times but way too inconsistent.

Things like, topped my drive on one hole a hundred meters, Nailed the 3 wood, onto the edge of the green, make the putt !! I seem to be all over the place.

Suns's out today, might go hit a bucket of balls, Club Champs next weekend.

• Like 1

First round of club champs for me yesterday as well, didn't play all that well unfortunately. My driving was pretty ordinary, and anything wide always seemed to end up somewhere that a sideways or 45 angle punch out was the only viable option. I wasn't too bad with my irons, just had no real opportunities to use them. This one I flushed, must have had a flyer lie because it was heading straight at the pin before the wind pushed it left and down the bank. I had the speed of putts dialled in nicely, but couldn't get the lines right most of the time. 

1782229124_Screenshot_20220827-174240_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a785eb57e85b8b72ff6d09d942d17076.jpg

Today was a social club game and I did play better. Driving was similarly crappy, but that course is more wide and open so I didn't end up in trouble as often. I'm annoyed at the doubles and triples though, since I played the other 14 holes in +4. Need to eradicate that crap. I hit my irons better again today, and the short game was working pretty well with 55% up and downs. 

983450723_Screenshot_20220828-142059_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a9e5c75674b58025acae9451e4d93b53.jpg

• Like 3

@Otto Von Blotto atleast your club thinks about  there members.   i';m seriously thinking of dumping my current club  due to the way they organize there syllabus for the year

our club a week before clubbies will put a stroke event on  the week later they will incorporate the monthly mug in 1st week of  month then another 3 weeks of clubbies   making that 5 rounds of stroke   but wait..  the 1st week after clubbies  guess what  its monthly medal rd  = 6 weeks of stroke    then 2nd week  its captains put (this year they was  going to make this a par event and i was jumping for joy i would win hands down   being par event   i would have had 0 putts but would have been happy to come in -18 in a par comp) ,  but the captain realized his mistake and made it a stroke event but hey whats 7 weeks of stroke  , finally 8 weeks later you get a breath from stroke wouldn't you think nah lets go stroke again  8 weeks because it was presidents cup,  but hey we come up to the last week of the month surely it cant be a stroke round at this stage to be honest we haven't played much stroke rounds at all in 8 weeks, the captain declares  another stroke day  9 weeks of stroke ,    now you can guess what it was the following week  , the monthly medal just what everyone was looking for 10 weeks of stroke  .. after 10 weeks of stroke   the next week was a 4 man stroke event(Ambrose) thank dam good for that

i really hope your club dont silly things like that,  i wish my club would do clubbies in the middle of the month so you get a breather from stroke. before the following medal.

however all the best for your clubbies...   

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, DavidM said:

That's tough, would see lot's of members down this way up in Arms..

Lynch the Captain

Would be the Cry..

oh  everyone did,  but we get this reply  you take on captain and see how you go  at organizing the syllabus..

we cant help it when the board events all clash

this is 10 weeks of stroke just for  Saturday players 

the midweek fellas also play on Saturday their midweek games was stroke as well

thank goodness i go to mt gambier on the midweek game  

hopefully next year it will be different but cant see it happening

just as well there is an agm this coming month and maybe we get a decent captain in that has common sense

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

No they don't do that at my club, the most in a row of stroke is probably the three weeks of club champs, and next Saturday's 2nd round probably doubles as the monthly medal anyway. 

The majority of the weekend comps we play outside of monthly medals are Stableford. There is a Wednesday monthly medal as well but since I'm usually working I don't often play it. Usually they're single Stableford but sometimes they do a 4BBB. It might as well be stroke for me anyway, I don't often have pickups anymore.  Occasionally there's an ambrose but I don't play those. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 3

Home club runs the Monthly Medal and first round of Club Champs at the same time, on Saturday.

Wednesday Monthly Medal then second round on the next Saturday,  Quarter's and Semi finals played on Sundays.

So max of three Stroke rounds.

• Like 4