Coopers Community

Over carbonation by warm weather

Mark the sipper

Although not ideal I've had beers carbonate and age for up to 4 weeks at just below 40 degrees. Depending on what your making it might be no good. Have you had trouble with taste? What's recepie standard kit and brew enhancer? How are you priming? Maby add hop flavour to beer to mask flavour from heat?  If it's not horrible just let it settle more in glass and add ice cubes if gets warm. We can only brew and condition to our limitations but there are ways around things when drinking.

• Like 1

The beer won't overcarb - it will use up the priming sugar dose in each bottle. The warmer it is, the quicker you'll get there.

Of course the beer will appear to be overcarbed if you open a hot bottle... just as a can of VB will froth out if you crack a hot one.

Just chill before serving.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, GregT5 said:

@jamiek86 yeah, I don't know how it got onto the other thread as I hadn't read that thread. Just asking if you put ice cubes in your beers? I saw someone (a non beer drinker) do it and it just flattened a good beer.

GT5, haven't read the thread where this has been posted to but it's quite a standard practice overseas particularly in 3rd world countries where refrigeration might be an issue. Not sure what it does to the beer but the locals in the villages of Thailand do this all the time. I haven't tried it - I much prefer to put the bottle of beer I'm drinking from in the ice rather than the ice into the beer. 😄🍻

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

Although not ideal I've had beers carbonate and age for up to 4 weeks at just below 40 degrees. Depending on what your making it might be no good. Have you had trouble with taste? What's recepie standard kit and brew enhancer? How are you priming? Maby add hop flavour to beer to mask flavour from heat?  If it's not horrible just let it settle more in glass and add ice cubes if gets warm. We can only brew and condition to our limitations but there are ways around things when drinking.

I’m finding that leaving the bottles in the heat for 3 -4 weeks and then putting in fridge to prepare for drinking they are over carbonated. I use the carb drops. Even some beers that were ok and the tried 6 weeks later are just foam when poured. Frustrating. 

21 minutes ago, Mickep said:

GT5, haven't read the thread where this has been posted to but it's quite a standard practice overseas particularly in 3rd world countries where refrigeration might be an issue. Not sure what it does to the beer but the locals in the villages of Thailand do this all the time. I haven't tried it - I much prefer to put the bottle of beer I'm drinking from in the ice rather than the ice into the beer. 😄🍻

It won’t damage the beer, it will just water it down as the ice melts.  The last part of the beer may be a little watery.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark the sipper said:

So how long in the heat can I get away with. Can I put them in fridge after a week?

If it is hot then it may be carbonated in a week. I would give it two weeks.

Where do you store the beer? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GregT5 said:

@jamiek86 yeah, I don't know how it got onto the other thread as I hadn't read that thread. Just asking if you put ice cubes in your beers? I saw someone (a non beer drinker) do it and it just flattened a good beer.

sometimes I'd sitting outside where it is hot if anything I find bubbles cling to ice. My comment was more directed at poster as an option for over carbonation. Let it sit until ok then put ice in to cool it down. Suppose you could do same open pour and sit glass in fridge? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mark the sipper said:

My beer is getting too warm after 5 days in bottle. Can it be put in fridge to complete bottle carbonation. I don’t have any cool areas. It’s over 30 c at present. Will it not mature in the fridge if I place it there now. Help needed. 

As others have said the temperature shouldn't make it overcarbonate just make it get carbonated faster. However I have seen some yeasts which keep slowly munching away on the sugars in the bottle which were not consumed in the primary fermentation. English yeasts are notorious for this. Also if it's a diastaticus yeast you might get the same effect. In winter time this may take months but in summer it definitely speeds it up. As others have said wait 2 weeks then test one. If its carbonated nicely put em all in the fridge and it will stop anymore carbonation

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

As others have said the temperature shouldn't make it overcarbonate just make it get carbonated faster. However I have seen some yeasts which keep slowly munching away on the sugars in the bottle which were not consumed in the primary fermentation. English yeasts are notorious for this. Also if it's a diastaticus yeast you might get the same effect. In winter time this may take months but in summer it definitely speeds it up. As others have said wait 2 weeks then test one. If its carbonated nicely put em all in the fridge and it will stop anymore carbonation

Using English ale yeast. That might be issue. 

• Like 1

Try and store them as low as possible to the ground away from the roof as it will be a lot cooler. I have stored mine in a very hot shed with no issues but try and keep them lower to the ground as possible.

I have never seen anyone drink beer with ice cubes in it.  
In saying that when I went to Bali they were serving the beer hot. Mate and I searched for a cold beer and found the Irish place across the road from the Sari Club the glasses were stored in the fridge. We were rejoicing cold beer 🍺 Ordered two beers out came the cold glasses and they pulled a hot king brown off the top shelf. We were like we want cold beer the barman responds “you want ice 🧊 “ We were like forget it over to the Sari club started on the Green drinks and learned to drink warm Bintang. 
We did buy a carton of Bintang walking back all the locals we were running around “oh Bintang” and took it back to the hotel room took everything out the bar fridge. Cold beer👍

We always  laugh when we catch as my partly drunk mate said “Now the beers full of fridge🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/11/2022 at 6:04 PM, Bribie G said:

The beer won't overcarb - it will use up the priming sugar dose in each bottle. The warmer it is, the quicker you'll get there.

Of course the beer will appear to be overcarbed if you open a hot bottle... just as a can of VB will froth out if you crack a hot one.

Just chill before serving.

Normally agree. But after say 3 months ive had stouts very nice, but at say 8 months a little over carbonated. But it took months. 

If its a bit hot in the shed ive been known to stack them in the shade outside. Chuck a couple of bags over them. Not great, but better. Lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@RDT2 I cant believe someone would want a beer warm over putting ice cubes in it.

Waste of ice In beer! Drag the Bundy out or any other available Rum if the beer was too warm🤣 I had an old mate years ago we were working on an isolated farm on a good 40degree day when we pulled up in the paddock. He says you want a drink I was like yeah😃 pulls the seat forward and drags a well travelled can of beer out from behind the seat which was probably close to 45 degrees as there was no air con either. I then decided I’ll be right thanks you have it! He cracked it and sculled the can and enjoyed it🤢🤮🤣.  I think he may of had a drinking problem🤔

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Mark the sipper said:

Originally fine not over carbed. Bloody warm shed IMO

Yes I would say warm shed could well be the problem. When the bottles and contents heat up the CO2 starts to come out of solution and the pressure builds up to the point where the bottles fail.

It's not a good experience when this happens and you become a bit wary of touching the bottles in case they go off. 🤔

• Like 1

This is strange 10 years ago I was using glass bottles and pushing the limits on priming sugar.  Months on end through summer up around the 40s every day 30 at night. Possibly the hot shed only moving where stored will you know. Is there an off taste to the ones drank? Maby try drinking them sooner? never knew 2 carb drops to over prime anything 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 12:46 AM, Mark the sipper said:

Today the bottles started exploding. Cut my leg a bit. These where coopers Irish stout 4 months old. Originally fine not over carbed. Bloody warm shed IMO. Got em out of shed and they are popping. What the!!!

Hi, did the same batch, on December 18th. Left it on the fermenter almost 22 days in order to have no surprises with the measurements.....

Bottled it last week and in 3 days the pet bottles neck seems very hard and tight!

Never had an explosion but I am scared because the temps in my country has been above 38 the whole week.

Think I will have them in a box so, if they do explode ....they won't hurt any body!

A way to avoid this is to release some gas from the bottles....

Regards!

• Like 2