Jump to content
Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022


iBooz2
 Share

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

When you nail an all grain, its so satisfying that you actually made that beer. I'm not one to go into extract v all grain.  Extract beers are delicious too. 

The satisfying thing is you see the process from go to whoa. You feel like a mini brewhaus.

Totally agree.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Just on this again fella ( sorry to be a PITA )

I'm gathering this wont work with the little filter supplied with the Fermzilla?

No worries PM.  I reckon it will still work.  As long as the end of the tube inside the filter is submerged, the syphon effect will work.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My neighbour just gave me this.

He got it in a car boot sale in the UK years ago and used it as a decoration. Obviously I’ll put it to better use more in line with Arthur Guinness’s wishes 👍

Have to think where I can use it. My Man Cave/ nuclear bunker makes the most sense, I could transfer some stout to the 5 litre insulated keg  I have, but would have to lug the big bottle of stout gas nearby. Or leave it on the kitchen counter as it is now. (SWMBO is currently away, it’ll be shifted before she gets back. No names, no pack drill…)

 

0069A9A6-5B0D-4365-85B7-C0DC32AC24FF.jpeg

FDF90437-55CF-434B-9910-F969FC244E8E.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Just on this again fella ( sorry to be a PITA )

I'm gathering this wont work with the little filter supplied with the Fermzilla?

mate  the  little filter certainly  works  i use the little filter on both my fermzilla 27  and all rounder with no issues

one thing you could do is get a s/s weight of sort  and place it  in the filter  the weight only needs to weigh it down enough so liquid flows through the dip tube 

having said that i dont use a weight at all  as they work fine   for  me

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

My neighbour just gave me this.

He got it in a car boot sale in the UK years ago and used it as a decoration. Obviously I’ll put it to better use more in line with Arthur Guinness’s wishes 👍

Have to think where I can use it. My Man Cave/ nuclear bunker makes the most sense, I could transfer some stout to the 5 litre insulated keg  I have, but would have to lug the big bottle of stout gas nearby. Or leave it on the kitchen counter as it is now. (SWMBO is currently away, it’ll be shifted before she gets back. No names, no pack drill…)

 

So is that a working unit mate ? If you have any problems trying to find a place for it I can offer you some help & pass on my address 🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Always mellows after a couple of weeks my man. You know that more than me. Will be a different and matured beer in two weeks.

The first one was amazing straight from the fermenter. I've got my fingers crossed.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Pale Man said:

And yes my ultimate is a pressure stainless steel fermenter.

@kmar92 Kmar seems to be having a good run with the SS FV Vessel... but in the meantime the single-plugga will be miles better than my double-bunger - and @Pale Man Paleo it does sound like you are making the single work.  My old mate @PaddyBrew2 Paddy also seemed quite happy with that bit of kit as well 👍

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Popo said:

I feel a bit simple... But, what is it?

A Guinness tap mate. The pint of Guinness lights up too 👍

I’ll post a pic in working order at some point 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here goes my 2nd Kegging experience, I now have 2 working kegs, 4 taps fitted, an extra CO2 bottle (6kg) so there are 2 more kegs to buy 🤑💸💰  with all of the beer line tidy's, SS stepless clamps, beer lines, duo tights etc I have enough stuff to open a LHBS !!

Once again I have @Hoppy81 to thank for all of his help & support to get this project underway.  Cheers Mate. 🍻

AG brew #3 to start shortly.

20220622_090151.thumb.jpg.a3208b842f40753c99e1604b2ffb1f8a.jpg

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, interceptor said:

For passing out and forgetting to charge you?

Well it's a fairly mutual agreement, I support his business, he offers to set-up the equipment, I offer him accommodation, I enjoy his company, we get to have a few beers & a meal so it's good all round.

Just between you & me, he drinks too much 🤣

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well it's a fairly mutual agreement, I support his business, he offers to set-up the equipment, I offer him accommodation, I enjoy his company, we get to have a few beers & a meal so it's good all round.

Just between you & me, he drinks too much 🤣

you dont want to dehydrate hoppy after the hours he has put into your kegerator mate.

beer isnt meant to be looked at it is meant to be drunk and you 2 are doing your fairshare for the good of beer
 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ozdevil said:

you dont want to dehydrate hoppy after the hours he has put into your kegerator mate.

beer isnt meant to be looked at it is meant to be drunk and you 2 are doing your fairshare for the good of beer
 

Indeed, I feel responsible to keep my guests hydrated & as you say, it's meant to be drunk.

Life is too short to drink Light Beer & VB.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

20220622_090151.thumb.jpg.a3208b842f40753c99e1604b2ffb1f8a.jpg

At first glance, I thought the splashing from the end of the bottling ward into the keg would introduce oxygen and oxidise your brew.  However, on closer inspection, I can see a sneaky silicon tube at the end of the bottling wand.  I hope it goes all the way to the bottom of the keg to avoid as much splashing as possible.

What's the brew by the way?  It looks nice and clear with a great colour.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

At first glance, I thought the splashing from the end of the bottling ward into the keg would introduce oxygen and oxidise your brew.  However, on closer inspection, I can see a sneaky silicon tube at the end of the bottling wand.  I hope it goes all the way to the bottom of the keg to avoid as much splashing as possible.

What's the brew by the way?  It looks nice and clear with a great colour.

Hi Shamus, that's Hoppy's sneaky idea & you are right it goes all the way to the bottom with only enough room open at the top for the tube & as you know before you connect the keg you burp it anyway.

The brew is a Coopers Real Ale with BE3 & 600gm LDME - purely for beer stock.

I now have 2 kegs so when I am organised there will be more AG brews & of course followed by 2 additional kegs.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

At first glance, I thought the splashing from the end of the bottling ward into the keg would introduce oxygen and oxidise your brew.  However, on closer inspection, I can see a sneaky silicon tube at the end of the bottling wand.  I hope it goes all the way to the bottom of the keg to avoid as much splashing as possible.

What's the brew by the way?  It looks nice and clear with a great colour.

I forgot to add;

I also filled the 2l Growler & 4 x Grolsch which are great to have for side by side comparisons as I did the first time I kegged, the keg beer won hands down to the bottled as far as carbonation & body,/head retention.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My foray into kegging hasn't been the utopia I wanted it to be but we'll get there eventually.
Although already purchased I still haven't claimed my bargain priced, modern keg fridge yet so that is one hurdle to jump before utopia arrives.
One thing I've been frustrated with is I find bottling a smooth, simple process because I've been doing it for a few years but once I added kegs to the mix bottling day became a fuddled and untidy chore. Switching from kegs to then adding the bottle wand to do bottles and priming after was becoming a nuisance.
To get the simplicity and streamlined functions back, in future I'm only going to make brews for a single vessel type at a time. I will solely keg a brew or solely bottle it. This could create some issues with having sufficient stock levels but with a little planning I hope all will be OK.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

To get the simplicity and streamlined functions back, in future I'm only going to make brews for a single vessel type at a time.

I've cheated a bit Muzzy, and I do feel the same way. I'm only considering 20 liter batches these days - gives me 19lts in the keg.

I've been doing FWK's and most of them are in that range so that works for me....I do feel like it's cheating I just add filtered potable water and yeast and bung 'em in the brew fridge.

I guess AG is calling 🍻🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I guess AG is calling 🍻🤣

I won't say never but AG is a no go zone for this lazy brewer.....at this point in time at least.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...