Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Good luck with those.  I have already retired the two that I bought.  I could not get them to seal.  Lost a 6kg bottle of CO2 overnight. Pressure testing them when empty in a bucket of water showed no leaks.  Then with soapy water once filled and under pressure again showed no leaks.  Maybe the weight of the lines caused slight movement.  I do not really know.  Maybe I overtightened the threads.  That seems to be a possible issue with plastic on plastic seals.  In the end, having lost one bottle of CO2 and then, after checking the second keg and finding a slight leak, I thought; Nup, not worth it.

@MUZZY seems to be having no issues with them though, so maybe it is just me.

I have never had much success with any plazzi pressure vessel. I have used both a conical Brewzilla and an All Rounder Brewzilla for pressure fermenting. Sometimes they sealed perfectly, well most times, but for some reason randomly they would leak. I guess that PET or whatever they use is prone to distorting under pressure and then you lose the seal and then you lose the CO2.

I have no experience with the plazzi kegs but I can't see any reason why they would behave differently, if the PET/whatever distorts you will lose the seal and then you will lose the pressure and CO2.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Good luck with those.  I have already retired the two that I bought.  I could not get them to seal.  Lost a 6kg bottle of CO2 overnight. Pressure testing them when empty in a bucket of water showed no leaks.  Then with soapy water once filled and under pressure again showed no leaks.  Maybe the weight of the lines caused slight movement.  I do not really know.  Maybe I overtightened the threads.  That seems to be a possible issue with plastic on plastic seals.  In the end, having lost one bottle of CO2 and then, after checking the second keg and finding a slight leak, I thought; Nup, not worth it.

I've had no leakage issues fortunately but I'm not enamoured with these kegs. What I have found a bit frustrating is the dip tube coming loose when I screw the lid back on, so when it comes time to pour they are pouring gas and not liquid. It's happened on a few occasions and not just an isolated issue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I've had no leakage issues fortunately but I'm not enamoured with these kegs. What I have found a bit frustrating is the dip tube coming loose when I screw the lid back on, so when it comes time to pour they are pouring gas and not liquid. It's happened on a few occasions and not just an isolated issue.

I had the same thing happen a couple of times too.  Have you tried straightening the tube with hot water and cutting it just long enough for the filter to sit on the bottom like in the Kegland video of these kegs?  I gave these kegs the flick before I got to that point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I had the same thing happen a couple of times too.  Have you tried straightening the tube with hot water and cutting it just long enough for the filter to sit on the bottom like in the Kegland video of these kegs?  I gave these kegs the flick before I got to that point.

I tried the hot water straightening. It was a slight improvement but still curved. I stopped using the filters. I don't dry hop very often so I don't find them necessary. I haven't clipped the ends though. I guess I should give that a try, as I don't have other keg options like you do. Cheers.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 11:40 PM, kmar92 said:

I have never had much success with any plazzi pressure vessel.

100% agree with you @kmar92 Kmar and also with @Shamus O'Sean Shamus concerns above.

Had I my time over again I would NEVER have purchased a plazzi fermzilla no way.  Similar issues to what Shamus and you both describe.  The SS one you run @kmar92 - yes - that's a goer.  But not plazzi pressure fellas nope. 

I don't like those plastic grey keg-line fittings either.

SS clamps for me.

And SS vessels.

But hey - there are plenty good Brewers who can do the plazzi pressure thing and use little grey fittings and find them to be ripper - so I say more power to them - but not for me.

It's all about personal choice and the right to self determination in a liberal pluralist post-techno capitalist world 🏴‍☠️

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kegged the Fruit Bomb Triple IPA tonight.

FG was 1.011.  So ABV of 11%.

Split into two half kegs.  One for me and one for the brother-in-law.

Had the FV tilted back to keep trub out of the kegs.  When I originally transferred the wort to the FV, I was very worried about how much trub there would be given the 526g of hops in the recipe.  Although I contained the hops, there was still a heap of hop matter in the transferred wort.

Although some might consider it sacrilege, I will try a glass of this tomorrow.

IMG_2997.JPG.8878c1873090c9380048d4065b06e191.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegged the Fruit Bomb Triple IPA tonight.

FG was 1.011.  So ABV of 11%.

Split into two half kegs.  One for me and one for the brother-in-law.

Had the FV tilted back to keep trub out of the kegs.  When I originally transferred the wort to the FV, I was very worried about how much trub there would be given the 526g of hops in the recipe.  Although I contained the hops, there was still a heap of hop matter in the transferred wort.

Although some might consider it sacrilege, I will try a glass of this tomorrow.

Wow that's a lot of Hops Shamus, you have a lucky BIL as you have mentioned him a few times. Sounds like a good drop.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Oh come on Muzz, give the bird another seed, 🤭 I have used 100gm in a brew but I am thinking the Fruit Bomb Triple IPA is going to be very hoppy !! 

Phil, I initially got into home brewing to save money. 500g+ of hops would almost defeat that purpose. 
Having said that and being an extract brewer, most of the beers I make are pre-hopped anyway and don't need much tinkering from me.
Early in my brewing journey before I'd even mastered the basics I tried pimping a Coopers kit and made a fairly poor beer. I said to myself then, "Muzz, you've been making beer for a month and here you are trying to improve the beer of people who've been making it for centuries. Leave the recipes to the experts." Since then I haven't really been very adventurous. I'm a bit of a missionary position brewer, you could say. 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Phil, I initially got into home brewing to save money. 500g+ of hops would almost defeat that purpose. 
Having said that and being an extract brewer, most of the beers I make are pre-hopped anyway and don't need much tinkering from me.
Early in my brewing journey before I'd even mastered the basics I tried pimping a Coopers kit and made a fairly poor beer. I said to myself then, "Muzz, you've been making beer for a month and here you are trying to improve the beer of people who've been making it for centuries. Leave the recipes to the experts." Since then I haven't really been very adventurous. I'm a bit of a missionary position brewer, you could say. 😄 

Yeah I totally get it, I guess I wandered off the track a bit but too far gone now 😬 Saving money is now a thing of the past but at least money could be saved by buying grain & hops in bulk. As far as AG in general & kegging goes all I see is more money going out but the reward outweighs the cost - I think 🤣

Cheers 🍻

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah I totally get it, I guess I wandered off the track a bit but too far gone now 😬 Saving money is now a thing of the past but at least money could be saved by buying grain & hops in bulk. As far as AG in general & kegging goes all I see is more money going out but the reward outweighs the cost - I think 🤣

Cheers 🍻

And I don't begrudge anyone whacking pounds of hops in their brews if that's their thing. Especially someone like the guru Shamus, for whom the science and craft of brewing is far more than an economic choice. It's truly a passion for him and many others.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Saving money is now a thing of the past but at least money could be saved by buying grain & hops in bulk. As far as AG in general & kegging goes all I see is more money going out but the reward outweighs the cost

AG and Kegging is miles cheaper than buying reasonable beer on the open-market -- either on tap or in containers -- beer that can only try to creep a little closer to approximate what great quality comes out of: good freshly brewed or well matured AG -- as the Head Brewer recommends pursuant to the chosen style and flavour profile being generated... besides wasting money on megaswill. 

And if you are really keen to make AG for less than a standard KnK... I suspect it is quite possible - esp if you buy grain on special - there were bags of Gladdy's Am Ale Malt going on spesh not that long ago for $55 - two scenarios - see below - second one with $69 normal price...  but No.2 Scenario re-using yeast...  and more hops... 

Of course you have your boil cost for the wort - but honestly - if your Head Brewer really wanted to make low cost AG I believe it could be done.

If you wanna make a RIS or a double-triple-hopply-hop-IPA well maybe not...

But a decent honest tasty AG Ale or a Larger... I reckon yes.

Especially in South Australia next door to the big festive Coopers Malting Plant - thought I saw Coopers Pale Malt 25kg for something like $50 per 25kg bag.... mmm may have been a while ago?

And yeah - AG & Kegging requires initial capital investment which far outweighs good qual KnK in Bottles -- can't win there -- but if the Capex is defrayed over a few thousand litres of brew the impact reduces...   Tho even there, an inkbird, good qual food grade nylon mash bag and a reasonable urn -- or even a reasonable SS bucket w element and nylon bag or SS mesh basket -- is much cheaper than the festive fancy super-automated Gut-Father-Zilla-Robo machines... and each as their own advantages and disadvantages.

HTH

image.thumb.png.efcc25966c8af3d4b8ecddd869cf49d2.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

AG and Kegging is miles cheaper than buying reasonable beer on the open-market -- either on tap or in containers

I totally agree with you there IP, regarding bulk grain is also a saving but ATM I do not have a mill so I am happy to buy milled grain as I need it, things could change though. 

Regardless of cost I still enjoy immensely the whole brewing process & I find that a reward in itself. To go back entirely to k & k does not appeal to me at all, the same for being a regular perched up at the bar drinking overpriced megaswill.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MUZZY said:

And I don't begrudge anyone whacking pounds of hops in their brews if that's their thing. Especially someone like the guru Shamus, for whom the science and craft of brewing is far more than an economic choice. It's truly a passion for him and many others.

Yes I agree with that, it is up to the individual to do whatever he or she likes & who would question Shamus anyway. 

That's the closest I could find to your avatar guru 🤣

See the source image

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Regardless of cost I still enjoy immensely the whole brewing process & I find that a reward in itself. To go back entirely to k & k does not appeal to me at all, the same for being a regular perched up at the bar drinking overpriced megaswill.

@Classic Brewing Co to me the attraction of home brewing is the process and the flexibility of making what I want, the ability to experiment etc. Saving money is secondary, but achievable although with some of the purchases I have made it will take some time 😄😄😄.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/25/2022 at 8:56 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I assembled mine carefully with lube on all threads and connections, filled it with water and gassed it. It held gas overnight without dropping a single psi.

I wouldn't use these as a serious kegging set up, i have my cornies for that purpose. To me its just a novelty , to be able to keg left overs for on the run or bringing it into the lounge room with a keg next to me.........feet up watching the footy.

If i can make sure its not leaking its definitely going to serve a purpose for me. I might even get another.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Although I contained the hops, there was still a heap of hop matter in the transferred wort.

@Shamus O'Sean Shamus - with the bigger additions - both the 77 deg C hopstand and the late hop  - did you just wrap it up in a hop sock type arrangement?

7 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

AG and Kegging is miles cheaper than buying reasonable beer on the open-market -- either on tap or in containers -- beer that can only try to creep a little closer to approximate what great quality comes out of: good freshly brewed or well matured AG -- as the Head Brewer recommends pursuant to the chosen style and flavour profile being generated... besides wasting money on megaswill. 

And if you are really keen to make AG for less than a standard KnK... I suspect it is quite possible - esp if you buy grain on special - there were bags of Gladdy's Am Ale Malt going on spesh not that long ago for $55 - two scenarios - see below - second one with $69 normal price...  but No.2 Scenario re-using yeast...  and more hops... 

Of course you have your boil cost for the wort - but honestly - if your Head Brewer really wanted to make low cost AG I believe it could be done.

If you wanna make a RIS or a double-triple-hopply-hop-IPA well maybe not...

But a decent honest tasty AG Ale or a Larger... I reckon yes.

Especially in South Australia next door to the big festive Coopers Malting Plant - thought I saw Coopers Pale Malt 25kg for something like $50 per 25kg bag.... mmm may have been a while ago?

And yeah - AG & Kegging requires initial capital investment which far outweighs good qual KnK in Bottles -- can't win there -- but if the Capex is defrayed over a few thousand litres of brew the impact reduces...   Tho even there, an inkbird, good qual food grade nylon mash bag and a reasonable urn -- or even a reasonable SS bucket w element and nylon bag or SS mesh basket -- is much cheaper than the festive fancy super-automated Gut-Father-Zilla-Robo machines... and each as their own advantages and disadvantages.

HTH

image.thumb.png.efcc25966c8af3d4b8ecddd869cf49d2.png

Holey Moley IP, looked like a politician typed that lot 😝 

• Haha 2

On 5/28/2022 at 8:57 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

@Shamus O'Sean Shamus - with the bigger additions - both the 77 deg C hopstand and the late hop  - did you just wrap it up in a hop sock type arrangement?

Hey, IP.  I commando-ed the first 45g of hops.  I hoped it would help create a filter on the outside of the SS perforated filter.

I added the 15, 10 and 5 minute additions in this.  The mesh bag is just a 10 litre paint strainer bag.

IMG_2978.JPG.ca8c1b0e116f61dbae0a6fb2ae3e830e.JPG

Similarly, the hopstand went into another paint strainer bag, bull-dog clipped to the sides of the kettle.

The 180g dry hop was contained in a giant Chux cloth (60cm x 60cm)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1